Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The palm pre is a great device dont get me wrong but when is it going to live up to its full potential. When I watch them compare the pre to the iphone or hero the thing that kills the pre is the lack of apps. The apps for the palm pre are disappointing. I thought when we got paid apps we were finally going to get cool apps but it has not happened. I was expecting to have flash 10 in october but they pushed it back even more. Now who really knows when flash is coming. And it seems that the new update has made the phone worst for most people. Also the price on the palm pre has dropped really low so it seems like there giving up on the pre. So i was wondering when is palm going to stop the madness and unleash the full potential of the phone?
    Last edited by robertanakani; 11/20/2009 at 02:25 PM.
    I like the apps that I have downloaded into it. (it's the same ones my friends who have iPhones have and use regularly).

I don't have any issues with the phone...I see lots who do though.
    "Live up to its potential" is kinda too broad a metric.

For many people in this very forum, it already has as they wanted/needed little more than a modern browser, multitasking/cards, and synergy. For everything else that is lacking, they are fine forgoing major apps, buying Touchstones and extended batteries, and patching their Pre as much as possible.

For those people, I'd say Palm's mission is accomplished. Unfortunately for Palm, this is a small segment of the marketplace. And there lots of other things - covered ad infinitum in various threads in this forum - that Pre needs to be able to do to live up to its potential for those people.

I'm one of 'em, but that's pretty well-known.
    I love my pre but I dont love the lag :P, I can live with it though, im just going to wait for the gpu to be enabled.

flash wasn't palms fault, its up to adobe when to release it, and they never said there realeasing it in october, they said they were releasing it to developers. i got mixed up to
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    Here's the deal, Palm is a small company, how many developers do you think they could possibly have?

Other companies (like apple) could potentially afford hundreds. This speeds up development greatly (but also makes the code horrible to work with) and makes people happier but you have to scrap it every time you want to really fix stuff.

Let's say there are 10 developers at Palm, 3 on flash, 3 on Mojo API, 2 on GUI, 1 on bug fixes. That's really not great, but heres the deal, there is a law in software development stating that by adding manpower to a late project you will make it later. It's unreasonable to expect good and fast development from a company with a limited supply of money dedicated to updates.

You can choose two of the following: Speed, Cheap, Quality. Palm opted for two when they began and have now switched to Cheap and Quality, something I as a developer respect them for.

Palm may be late in the game, two years ago these phones would've far surpassed the iPhone.

And the updates seaming to make the phone worse is negative propaganda, every update has made my phone considerably better, some people have bad experience because they either 1.) Don't listen to the great homebrew developer's instructions, or 2.) Have unbelievably high expectations, or just want to complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    And the updates seaming to make the phone worse is negative propaganda, every update has made my phone considerably better, some people have bad experience because they either 1.) Don't listen to the great homebrew developer's instructions, or 2.) Have unbelievably high expectations, or just want to complain.
    So in other words, Palm never makes a mistake with an update? You sure about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So in other words, Palm never makes a mistake with an update? You sure about that?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    simply put......NO
  9.    #9  
    I think if palm got more quality apps it would be better than the iphone but the question is when are these apps coming
    I guess you must be talking about games because I am very happy with the apps that I have on my Pre. For me it lives up to its full potential with many powerful apps for business professionals and adults.

-SplashID stores my passwords
    -MyTether connects my laptop when I'm on the road
    -Flight View keeps track of my travel and even puts my flights in my Calendar (try that on the Hero or iphone)
    -Evernote keeps track of just about everything in my personal and business life
    -Absolute Fitness helps me stay in shape
    -MyQ manages my Netflix account
    -Pack N Track does an incredible job of tracking my packages
    -DrPodder takes care of all my favorite Pod Casts
    -Feeds is my RSS reader
    -Weatherbug takes care of the weather forecast
    -Checkbook manages my finances
    -Express Stocks manages my investment portfolio
    -Zip Code Tools is a very handy app for looking up Zips and Area Codes
    -Friends Flow is my Facebook client
    -Tweed is my twitter client
    -Pandora and MusicRemix are my time killers

I really can't think of anything else that I really need besides a "Remember The Milk" app, ereader app and Audible App. All of those are in the works.

Yes it has lived up to its potential
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So in other words I've never had a problem with with updates, many people update without removing patches, and people have high expectations.

You're conclusions do not relate to what was said. Unrelated attacks generally don't contribute to a discussion or argument and I'd thank you not to smear my reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I really can't think of anything else that I really need besides a "Remember The Milk" appl
    Is that an app which will send notifications of lists or events based on your location? Like if i'm at the store or in the vicinity it'll remind me that I have a list of things to pick up? If it is then I'm really excited.
    I can name a LOT of apps Palm would like to have that it does not have yet. Hopefully when Verizon gets the Pre they can market the heck out of it and get more users on board. More users = more audience for developers and their apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    -SplashID stores my passwords
    You better have a pen and paper back up solution for that one. Last I checked there is no way to back up/sync/export your passwords with the WebOS version. If you have to do a hard reset or replace your phone you can kiss all those passwords good bye.
    I think that the palm updates are making progress but too slow I understand that if they update too much at once it could cause serious problems but this just leads me to feel like they released the phone too early. This is very frustrating as a consumer who payed full price off contract which palm had to have known that there would be some who were upset about this.

As far as the apps goes i feel this is palms biggest problem right now!!! apps are what makes a smartphone smart, if you are an electrician a wire schematic app is very useful, for some pre drawn up mathematical scenario apps would be useful, agenda apps are useful for people with busy schedules, etc.
    For anybody who says that apples 100,000 apps are all useless well maybe for each individual user but every one of those apps is useful to somebody.

Right now after 5 months web os only has less than 300 apps (yes I said less than 300 and not 385) approximately 37 of the apps in the catalog have duplicates due to not having trials for the apps developers have entered a free and a pay version. 15 dictionaries, 16 trivia, 10 pic hint, 10 calculators, 5 stop watches, and 6 radio apps, and who knows how many cheesy games.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    You better have a pen and paper back up solution for that one. Last I checked there is no way to back up/sync/export your passwords with the WebOS version. If you have to do a hard reset or replace your phone you can kiss all those passwords good bye.
    Not anymore, they've updated it to backup on Splash's cloud.
    I don't know of too many products that lived up to their full potential when first issued. Imagine it will take at least a year - and a lot more purchasers - which will only come when other companies take on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Not anymore, they've updated it to backup on Splash's cloud.
    Will have to look into that then. Nothing about an update featuring a backup solution is mentioned in the app catalog yet and almost all the reviews (latest one from yesterday) are still talking about the lack of a back up solution.
    Only thing I really miss is Video Camera, and Shazam. Maybe a cool app interface for Toodledo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    You better check again.
    There is a way and I back up weekly.

All you do is install the app "Internalz" from Preware
    Navigate to
    /var/palm/data/
    find the folder called "file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.splashdata.app.splashid_0"
    Copy that folder and select
    /media/internal
    for your destination.
    It will then copy your SplashID database to your USB drive. All you do is connect your Pre to your PC and copy that folder. You then have a backup which can easily be restored by reversing the steps.

I have used this method successfully to restore application data after a WebOS Doctor session.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast