Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    So in other words I've never had a problem with with updates, many people update without removing patches, and people have high expectations.

    You're conclusions do not relate to what was said. Unrelated attacks generally don't contribute to a discussion or argument and I'd thank you not to smear my reply.
    I'm not smearing anything, nor did I "attack" you. I asked a question. You got offended. Lets me know reasonable discussion is unlikely. Thanks for saving me the time I'd waste.
  2.    #22  
    So really the problem with the pre is the lack of apps
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    You better check again.
    There is a way and I back up weekly.

    All you do is install the app "Internalz" from Preware...
    ...
    While I'm happy that you have found a way around the lack of basic functionality, the program can not, in and of itself, create a back up. Joe and Jane PreOwner aren't going to want to jump through the hoops required to hack the phone to try and make up for a PAID apps short falls. It's a no brainer that data backup should be a BASIC feature for this type of app.

    And yes Pattycerts, I just checked their forums. They are working on a back up solution but it is not yet available for the WebOS version. It's essentially a paid beta at this point. The WebOS version isn't even mentioned on their main website. PalmOS, yes. WebOS, no.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 11/20/2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Rewording reply
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Here's the deal, Palm is a small company, how many developers do you think they could possibly have?

    Other companies (like apple) could potentially afford hundreds. This speeds up development greatly (but also makes the code horrible to work with) and makes people happier but you have to scrap it every time you want to really fix stuff.

    Let's say there are 10 developers at Palm, 3 on flash, 3 on Mojo API, 2 on GUI, 1 on bug fixes. That's really not great, but heres the deal, there is a law in software development stating that by adding manpower to a late project you will make it later. It's unreasonable to expect good and fast development from a company with a limited supply of money dedicated to updates.

    You can choose two of the following: Speed, Cheap, Quality. Palm opted for two when they began and have now switched to Cheap and Quality, something I as a developer respect them for.

    Palm may be late in the game, two years ago these phones would've far surpassed the iPhone.

    And the updates seaming to make the phone worse is negative propaganda, every update has made my phone considerably better, some people have bad experience because they either 1.) Don't listen to the great homebrew developer's instructions, or 2.) Have unbelievably high expectations, or just want to complain.
    There are about 100 core iPhone developers at Apple. But they build on a code base tools shared with the mature Mac OS X.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm not smearing anything, nor did I "attack" you. I asked a question. You got offended. Lets me know reasonable discussion is unlikely. Thanks for saving me the time I'd waste.
    Wait... I didn't say or imply "attack", just smear... If you're going to misquote me you might as well not include the quote right above yours.
  6. #26  
    I just hope they release a better sdk soon... This limits developers alot!! Shazaam etc are not possible without the sdk..
  7. #27  
    Though it's my wife's phone, I'll give it a go. The Pre's build quality is below what is expected for a modern smartphone and the keyboard design leaves a lot to be desired (and why I now have a Samsung Moment instead of a Pre). Early reports of these issues resulted in somewhat less than spectacular sales. Only being on Sprint didn't help things a bit either. Because of lackluster sales numbers, developers don't rush to write apps for the Pre. Now, even those who can look beyond the build see an app store far far behind competing phones. If Palm wants WebOS to succeed, they need to get WebOS devices on other US carriers like yesterday and somehow coerce some developers to fill up that app store fast (pay them if you have to). I know Palm's small, but time is growing very short and they're about to wiped off the map by a Android tidal wave. I hope they succeed, my wife will be ****ed at me if they don't.
    100% Windows Mobile free!
    In the Samsung Moment while the wife rocks out the Palm Pre.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    You can choose two of the following: Speed, Cheap, Quality. Palm opted for two when they began and have now switched to Cheap and Quality, something I as a developer respect them for.
    Cheap Quality? Can you say Oxymoron?

    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Palm may be late in the game, two years ago these phones would've far surpassed the iPhone.
    Except this ISN'T 2007 and Palm ISN'T setting the standard. It's 2009 and the standard (and the expectation) has been set by the iPhone. Android based phones are moving up fast. What was that about "cheap" again?

    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    And the updates seaming to make the phone worse is negative propaganda, every update has made my phone considerably better, some people have bad experience because they either 1.) Don't listen to the great homebrew developer's instructions, or 2.) Have unbelievably high expectations, or just want to complain.
    Or have never installed one of these so called "patches" and have valid complaints. Like Sprint Nav having issues with voice directions randomly truncating instructions while in use. It may not be a Palm program but it's included with the phone and you can't uninstall it (without hacking the phone). It was broken by the 1.3.1 patch. No propaganda there. Simple fact.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 11/20/2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Clarificaiton
  9. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    And the updates seaming to make the phone worse is negative propaganda, every update has made my phone considerably better, some people have bad experience because they either 1.) Don't listen to the great homebrew developer's instructions, or 2.) Have unbelievably high expectations, or just want to complain.
    Here's a bug introduced in 1.3.1 (I'm too lazy to report it):

    Previously, if a text messaged failed to send, you could click it, a dialog box would appear allowing you to resend it. Now, with the new "forward,copy,delete" popup, that dialog box never appears if u click on failed text messages. So whoever wrote the popup code, totally forgot about the failed-resend dialog box.

    How's that for an issue cause by an update?
  10. #30  
    I would so love visual voicemail, video recorder, and a responsive touchscreen and system. I have had my Pre since day one, and the lack of these things just bugs me to no end.
  11. #31  
    The problem with most of the reviews out there are that they were made back when there were only 12 apps. Now there are hundreds!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions