1.    #1  
    I just restarted and timed my pre (have 1.3.1) and it clocked at 2min 15 secs.....not im not ranting and raving about the start up time but im just curious - apparently the 3GS boots in like less then a min (i might be mistaken but i thought i saw a review on cnet that it started up in less than 30 seconds. Now my question is why does it take the pre 4 times as long to boot up compared to the 3GS? similar hardware and all.....is the OS just not as optimized? any ideas why?
    Last edited by cnote1287; 11/20/2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: boot up, restart
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I used to ***** about the pre boot up time, but then I saw a blackberry curve boot.
    My Instinct used to take 4-5 minutes to boot up. This is quick to me.
    It can only get faster with updates - I would think.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    My Instinct used to take 4-5 minutes to boot up. This is quick to me.
    really? wow. well this is the first time ive actually timed my phone when it restarts. now that i got a baseline down i can time it after future updates.
    cnote, yeppers 5 minutes was the average on my Instinct. But I did love that phone...just hated the touch keypad.
  7.    #7  
    my cousin has the instinct still.....he saw my phone and was like ooooo look who has the iphooooone. im like psh no. Ive played with them a bit. fun phone.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    opitimization is the key
    Back when 1.1 came out or so, someone compared old and new boot times. You might do a google search and see if you can track down their numbers to add to your baseline.
    Honestly, it could take 30 minutes for all I care.

I rarely reboot, and when I do it's always during a time I know I won't be using it for a while, and I keep an eye on my battery.

The only thing really requiring a reboot would be patches, and with the new Package Manager updates Luna is the only thing that really ever needs to be restarted now.

I imagine if I shut it down and needed it up really bad I could get annoyed, but at work I always have the internet so I have access to my contacts, I have a phone beside me, and with google voice all my calls are forwarded.

There's really no problem if your smart about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Honestly, it could take 30 minutes for all I care.

I rarely reboot, and when I do it's always during a time I know I won't be using it for a while, and I keep an eye on my battery.

The only thing really requiring a reboot would be patches, and with the new Package Manager updates Luna is the only thing that really ever needs to be restarted now.

I imagine if I shut it down and needed it up really bad I could get annoyed, but at work I always have the internet so I have access to my contacts, I have a phone beside me, and with google voice all my calls are forwarded. I don't see an inconvenience if your smart about it.
    Are you calling us dumb?
    As Yankees stated, blackberries were hella slow with boot, work with em alot.
    I do feel that the lastest update boot got faster.
    I just timed mine from being completely off to being able to use phone and it took me
    1 min and 50 secs.
    Im sure patches and what not effects performance.
    I know its slow at starting up but my phone never gets shut off all that much! I only reset unless Im patching. I have no real slow downs enough to worry about it! I did wish it was faster though
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  14.    #14  
    well when it gets sluggish (ie memory leaks) a restart helps speed it up again
    You see how much more complex the webos is compared to iphone?
    Yah fast restarts would be great...had probs sometimes with my nav not getting a sat after it's first use (use nav alot for work) and I would need to reset it. Annoying how 2 mins can feel like an hour on the road....arrrg