Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...Central account for one on a board where every other post isn't a "OMG, Palm Sucks because..." or "What a POS this is..." or "I am exchanging for a Hero".

What is the point of posting these other than to try to start flame wars?

If you have a suggestion for something that should be fixed, then suggest it but don't think the rest of the world is going to think you will die if your feature request is not implemented within 2.5 seconds of your posting it.

If you are exchanging it for something else, instead of leaving your last dying, Palm/Sprint/Pre bashing here, go to the site that discusses your new device and introduce yourself there.

If a Palm/Sprint/BestBuy rep told you something that isn't true about the phone, then take it up with customer service at whatever place you feel you were wronged. If you take it up with them and they resolve your situation appropriately please come back here and let us know (we like to honor respectable businesses). But if there is small scratch on your phone because you carried it in your pocket with your keys and you are ticked that you have to pay $100 to get it replaced, please cry somewhere else.

I guess this is in someway no different that other internet boards, these people continue to post these because we continue to make fun of them, or engage them in a flame war over how "stupid" their ideas are. Well, I guess this is just my way of saying I will not be responding to these anymore, I have in the past (like many others) been very sarcastic, humorous, etc. with these, but I guess that is just encouraging them to do it even more.

So, with that said, go ahead and flame me, but I just would like to see a board where people who have issues explain them, and the rest of us who know how to help offer help, or to draw out what the real issue is. Criticism is a great tool when used constructively, when its not it makes the user of the criticism tool just a fool.
    Thank you so much Mikey47. You said what I have been thinking for almost a week now.

The one trend I've noticed with all the haters out there are that they seem to want a smartphone that takes every option and feature available in all the smartphones in the world and place them in this one phone and then make them run 10x better than they do on any other platform. They all seem to forget they signed up for a new OS. This means a lot. It means that devs have to learn how to make apps for this. It means that palm will need to work to optimize the software issues as real world issues crop up. It means that hardware is made better in future releases.

I for one think the palm pre is an amazing phone all around. Is it perfect, no. No phone out there is, whether in its 1st gen or 10th gen. I think this phone and its OS has so much potential, more than any other OS for smartphones that currently exist. I also think this phone is not for everyone. I have never had more fun from a phone since I bought my first phone almost 10 years ago.

So please bring thoughtful criticism to the table. If you hate the phone so much that its irredeemable, then just leave the forums and buy the phone you like. You can then join the forums for that phone and bash this phone to death there.
    Ditto
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Just be careful on the Android forums. Lots of whining kids over there. ;-)
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I wanted the Pre so badly before it came out. It was my dream phone. After having it for about a month and a half now, I can say that I want my Blackberry Bold back. The Pre is cool and all, but it's just so damn slow... So much for this epic processor. I realize that it's a new OS and everything, but damn, how hard is it to use a super-efficient Javascript engine, like Squirrelfish Extreme, and make the phone snappy as all getout? My Bold didn't look as good graphically as the Pre, but it was QUICK, and that's what made up for the old-looking OS. The keys were nice and big. I don't have many problems typing on the Pre, but often the space won't be recognized, or when I'm typing a word like "call" it enters "all". It's minor, but annoying.

If I could exchange my Pre for the Tour, I think I'd do it. I just miss the big keyboard and snappy OS. I don't take many pictures, so the camera isn't a huge deal to me. Where I go to college, there's no EvDO, so I'm stuck at 1x (not sure if it's 1xRTT or 1xEV). I might try Craigslist or something.

Touchscreen phones just aren't for me. The battery life on touchscreen phones sucks, whereas I could get 3 days of moderate use (30mins of browsing, 100 texts, 10min calls, TweetGenius in the background) without charging.

Nice try, Palm, really--but this phone just can't win. If you can make texting fast, to the point where I open the phone and the text is displayed within 1 second, I reply and the reply pops up instantly, I lock my phone and stick it in my pocket, then I might be able to live with the Pre a little easier. But right now, it's just going downhill.

EDIT: Let me just say that I think phones should be for email/texting/calling/web browsing, but not for gaming, not for "fun". They're productivity tools. Every time I read about someone complaining about not enough pages for applications on an iPhone, I cringe. There's no reason anyone should have beyond 3 pages of apps. On the Palm Pre, you should have apps you use, and that's it. On my Bold, I had TweetGenius, Viigo, and Google Maps. I used TG and Viigo every day in conjunction with BrickBreaker (a simple time-waster that's always fun) and the SMS app. I actually have things to do. Any free time that I'd have to screw around on my phone, I can also browse the web with my computer. I can play games on my computer. I don't need my phone to do that, and besides, why waste the battery life?
    com.drhouse.lupus
    Quote Originally Posted by yokken View Post
    I wanted the Pre so badly before it came out. It was my dream phone. After having it for about a month and a half now, I can say that I want my Blackberry Bold back. The Pre is cool and all, but it's just so damn slow... So much for this epic processor. I realize that it's a new OS and everything, but damn, how hard is it to use a super-efficient Javascript engine, like Squirrelfish Extreme, and make the phone snappy as all getout? My Bold didn't look as good graphically as the Pre, but it was QUICK, and that's what made up for the old-looking OS. The keys were nice and big. I don't have many problems typing on the Pre, but often the space won't be recognized, or when I'm typing a word like "call" it enters "all". It's minor, but annoying.

If I could exchange my Pre for the Tour, I think I'd do it. I just miss the big keyboard and snappy OS. I don't take many pictures, so the camera isn't a huge deal to me. Where I go to college, there's no EvDO, so I'm stuck at 1x (not sure if it's 1xRTT or 1xEV). I might try Craigslist or something.

Touchscreen phones just aren't for me. The battery life on touchscreen phones sucks, whereas I could get 3 days of moderate use (30mins of browsing, 100 texts, 10min calls, TweetGenius in the background) without charging.

Nice try, Palm, really--but this phone just can't win. If you can make texting fast, to the point where I open the phone and the text is displayed within 1 second, I reply and the reply pops up instantly, I lock my phone and stick it in my pocket, then I might be able to live with the Pre a little easier. But right now, it's just going downhill.

EDIT: Let me just say that I think phones should be for email/texting/calling/web browsing, but not for gaming, not for "fun". They're productivity tools. Every time I read about someone complaining about not enough pages for applications on an iPhone, I cringe. There's no reason anyone should have beyond 3 pages of apps. On the Palm Pre, you should have apps you use, and that's it. On my Bold, I had TweetGenius, Viigo, and Google Maps. I used TG and Viigo every day in conjunction with BrickBreaker (a simple time-waster that's always fun) and the SMS app. I actually have things to do. Any free time that I'd have to screw around on my phone, I can also browse the web with my computer. I can play games on my computer. I don't need my phone to do that, and besides, why waste the battery life?
    you can also call people from your house phone and write people letters instead of email
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    you can also call people from your house phone and write people letters instead of email
    I can't send outgoing calls from my dorm phone due to limitations on campus--whether it's intentional or not, I don't know.

People don't typically send letters anymore. I don't know what you're trying to get at.
    com.drhouse.lupus
    I'm saying while you might not want all the features the pre offers (unlike 99 percent of other pre owners) it is your fault for buying this phone if you just complain about its abundance of features that don't help you
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    I'm saying while you might not want all the features the pre offers (unlike 99 percent of other pre owners) it is your fault for buying this phone if you just complain about its abundance of features that don't help you
    I'm not complaining about its abundance of features. I just think it's stupid to waste your battery on games and the like.
    com.drhouse.lupus
    I'm not complaining about its abundance of features. I just think it's stupid to waste your battery on games and the like.
    then you can choose not to use them, some people like games
    This signature for rent
  11.    #11  

My gosh, I cannot believe this... Here in a thread I started with the idea of people who complain and whine about everything, is hijacked by people who complain and whine about everything.

This reply quoted above is a perfect example. You say, "Touchscreen phones just aren't for me." Then return it, replace it, run it over with your car, but why come on here and say stuff like that other than to raise the ire of the people here who LIKE touchscreens?

When you picked up your Pre, you had 30 days to decide if a touchscreen was for you, you obviously have passed that 30 day limit and it is no one's fault but your own that kept it longer than that. So you feel sorry for yourself that you made a wrong decision, fine, but why force everyone else to listen to your blathering on your own mistakes? Oh well, I guess I am just adding fuel to the fire...
    I think a lot of the point of posting this stuff is to let others know what they're getting into. Plenty of people come here to find out about the Pre, would it be fair to them if the only things posted here were the great experiences, and the bad were squelched? I'm about to exchange my 5th Pre, and I'm going to keep posting about it until I'm away from the Pre, because people need to hear it. Palm screwed up pretty bad putting webOS on this hardware, and it needs to be said. Sorry you don't like it, but there are real problems here, and the posts are reflecting that. If the phone were amazing, it'd look like the Apple forums, where everyone is happy, sitting in circles singing kumbayah playing with their fart apps.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Yet again....another waste of space thread. Ironic you stated you don't like useless threads with people whinning for the most part, and then you start one.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    My gosh, I cannot believe this... Here in a thread I started with the idea of people who complain and whine about everything, is hijacked by people who complain and whine about everything.

This reply quoted above is a perfect example. You say, "Touchscreen phones just aren't for me." Then return it, replace it, run it over with your car, but why come on here and say stuff like that other than to raise the ire of the people here who LIKE touchscreens?

When you picked up your Pre, you had 30 days to decide if a touchscreen was for you, you obviously have passed that 30 day limit and it is no one's fault but your own that kept it longer than that. So you feel sorry for yourself that you made a wrong decision, fine, but why force everyone else to listen to your blathering on your own mistakes? Oh well, I guess I am just adding fuel to the fire...
    What fun would that be if I had chosen the Tour before 30 days? Then you wouldn't be able to read all my annoying posts
    com.drhouse.lupus
    I love this phone. And being that it runs such an open platform, I say to the "OMG, I'm missing functionality $foo!:" whiners: "So write it and share" Contribute or shut up.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Yet again....another waste of space thread. Ironic you stated you don't like useless threads with people whinning for the most part, and then you start one.
    Touche. Not ironic, stupid on my part. I'm done, bad day yesterday.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Touche. Not ironic, stupid on my part. I'm done, bad day yesterday.
    I understand....it does get old doesn't it? Whine, whine whine.....I'm tired of hearing/seeing it to so I don't blame ya.....just was funny. Although constructive critism is IMO needed to help the Pre advance. It's just how some are choicing to do it.
    So...we're whining about the whining now?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

HAHAHAHAHHAA.. LOL Thanks You Just Made My Day.
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No, we are saying some are taking it to far, don't you think? I've seen your post, and it looks like you agree. It's not only the people unhappy with the Pre but also people defending it. It seems that not much constructive is being done here any more, just arguing. I'm one of the unhappy and got a Hero and also am keeping my Pre in hopes that Palm gets their head out of their *****, but constant arguing isn't going to solve that. I think we need to agree to disagree and move on to trying to move the Pre forward.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast