Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    the Pre has been out for a year already and we still haven't fully tapped the potential the hardware has, nevertheless I have some ideas I would like to share to see if anyone would be interested in tackling them.

first, some hardware improvements I'd like to see.

Solar Charging: the mirror on the back is cute, but why not a solar panel? the device would stay alive longer, could be charging as you talk on it, and be GREEN, who doesn't love green energy?

video conferencing: -- add a second camera or stay with a single camera that swivels or rotates around.

more space: no less than 16gb, 8 was a good start, but let's move forward. if you want people to dump their ipods and iphones, you need enough space to make those devices obsolete.

OLED keyboard: make it so the layout can be changed, different languages, QWERTY, DVORAK.. whatever.

hi res OLED screen: this would reduce overall bulkiness of the device making it sleeker and more attractive and improve battery life

more advanced camera with focus: no need to reinvent the wheel here, why not license some tech from Canon or Nikon?

software:

wireless camcorder: it seems to me all the hardware is there, we have wifi security cameras, why can't I use this device as a mobile wifi or bluetooth camera?

better power management: -- we need more control over how the device manages resources.

media management: itunes is bloated and over rated, why not make this device more friendly to songbird or winamp?

call recording: an app that lets you record phone calls would be pretty useful for many people.

that's it for now folks... I just wanted to share what's been on my mind. I love palm, I remember hacking away at these devices way back when and I like that Palm respects us enough to let us have our fun.
    solar charging- not a good idea to leave your phone in the sun for an extended period of time...
    This signature for rent
    Problem the first with your post: Pre has been out for less than 6 months

Problem the second with your post: Let palm stabilize webOS before we get super fancy.

I will not feed the trolls....
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Problem the first with your post: Pre has been out for less than 6 months

Problem the second with your post: Let palm stabilize webOS before we get super fancy.

I will not feed the trolls....
    how is it trolling? just some ideas he had, I see no negativity... I think this board has gotten way too defensive lately....
    This signature for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    how is it trolling? just some ideas he had, I see no negativity... I think this board has gotten way too defensive lately....
    It was his first post and a lot of those ideas seemed like a bit of a stretch for me considering where the Pre and WebOS currently are, and his facts were off.

Experience on forums points to trolling, but I could be wrong. It has been known to happen.
    It was his first post and a lot of those ideas seemed like a bit of a stretch for me considering where the Pre and WebOS currently are, and his facts were off.

Experience on forums points to trolling, but I could be wrong. It has been known to happen.
    well we've known about it for about a year so it could of just been a mistake but I agree some of them are a stretch but lets save the torches and pitchforks for actual trolls
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    the posts were ideas. i agree. to much negativity lately.
    first post or not, this is something that he said he would like to see. an opinion, just like yours when you said that WebOS needs stabilized before...you have to look at it like this... this is someone that is embracing WebOS, not dogging it.

yes, i feel, as i am sure others do, that Palm needs to focus on bettering the already awesome WebOS, but again, the OS isn't the only thing that sells. a truly good device is one that moves forward in all areas...hardware including.

as far as him being off on the timing of the Pre being out, just a mistake.
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicX View Post
    the posts were ideas. i agree. to much negativity lately.
    first post or not, this is something that he said he would like to see. an opinion, just like yours when you said that WebOS needs stabilized before...you have to look at it like this... this is someone that is embracing WebOS, not dogging it.

yes, i feel, as i am sure others do, that Palm needs to focus on bettering the already awesome WebOS, but again, the OS isn't the only thing that sells. a truly good device is one that moves forward in all areas...hardware including.

as far as him being off on the timing of the Pre being out, just a mistake.

^^ this.

yeah, I've had my head buried in the sand when it comes to keeping track of time, so yeah my mistake on that, however...

solar panel does not mean it has to be in direct sunlight, remember those old school pocket calculators?

I am totally embracing the Pre and the new OS... the Linux part totally sold me.

I think its a great phone and palm's approach to this speaks volumes about their respect for people like us. just look at how you get into developer mode, the old Konami code, if that isn't a nod to how we roll, then I don't know what is.

I have about 5 or 6 old school palm devices that had all kinds of apps, I still use my palm V to diagnose my cars OBD II computer and clear out error codes, why? because it works. it was simple, sleek, and it worked, and oh yeah, it always reminded me of the PADDs on Star Trek.

they never stopped us from pushing these devices to their limits, and now we have such an amazing device with so much potential.

Apple on the other hand creates this amazing device, and tells you that you aren't allowed to play with it. not allowed to make your own apps for it, so many brilliant minds on this forum and Apple basically tells you to **** off, well screw that.

I would love to see the Pre take up a huge market share in the mobile device community.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    +1
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    I would like to apologize, I mis-read you Question. A troll you are not.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

You're an *****. If you think someone making slightly stretched desires or claims is equivalent to trolling, I advise you to never accuse someone of trolling ever again. He's just making suggestions, even though a lot of them are not going to happen because he doesn't understand the limitations of a cell phone. My pre takes 10 seconds to send a 30-character text. I can't imagine the impact on battery life with this as a wireless camcorder, or what it would do to the price of the phone if it had Zeiss optics.

Trolling is blatantly provoking an argument or harassing someone. You're obviously not experienced in common sense.

EDIT: Regardless of your admittance that he's not a troll, you were still a moron for calling him one in the first place.
    com.drhouse.lupus
    Quote Originally Posted by yokken View Post
    You're an *****.
    And you are a tool. If you read the post above, I did apologize for the mis-read. Thanks for keeping it civil
    You're an *****. If you think someone making slightly stretched desires or claims is equivalent to trolling, I advise you to never accuse someone of trolling ever again. He's just making suggestions, even though a lot of them are not going to happen because he doesn't understand the limitations of a cell phone. My pre takes 10 seconds to send a 30-character text. I can't imagine the impact on battery life with this as a wireless camcorder, or what it would do to the price of the phone if it had Zeiss optics.

Trolling is blatantly provoking an argument or harassing someone. You're obviously not experienced in common sense.

EDIT: Regardless of your admittance that he's not a troll, you were still a moron for calling him one in the first place.
    you should read your own definition of trolling. calling someone an ***** is considered harassing in most cases
    This signature for rent
    OLED keyboard? Please for the love of God no... I never want to go back to anything but actual buttons again.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    you should read your own definition of trolling. calling someone an ***** is considered harassing in most cases
    If someone called you an ***** at your school and you reported it for harassment, the administration would laugh at you.
    com.drhouse.lupus
    If someone called you an ***** at your school and you reported it for harassment, the administration would laugh at you.
    this isn't school, its a public forum where trolling actually is an issue. i'm just saying don't be a hypocrite
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    this isn't school, its a public forum where trolling actually is an issue. i'm just saying don't be a hypocrite
    I'm just saying that calling someone an ***** isn't harassment.
    com.drhouse.lupus

But it's a breach of the rules here.
    Isn't it past all of your bedtimes?
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    Isn't it past all of your bedtimes?
    There is no sleep in med school....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast