1.    #1  
    So I have heard that after installing my MyTether fix, Preware and everything else... that it will all be blown away if this new software update tries to install itself. As I'm relatively satisfied with the phone as it currently stands and could probably do without a software update ever again... Is there anyway to DISABLE the firmware updates entirely? I told it not to update this morning but it says that I won't have a choice the next time it sets down to charge???

Even the iPhone, which I otherwise didn't like as much as my Pre, would let me avoid software updates if I didn't want them (I stayed on 2.0 ALONG time).
  2.    #2  
    Well I guess I don't see anything broken. In fact, all my apps are still there. Not sure why I heard this stuff all had to be uninstalled before any updates. My bad...

Right now, that's a MAJOR +1 for WebOS versus iPhone updates. I'm pretty sure MyTether isn't going to work anymore though...
    Yes, you can disable it. In fact I had to. I have an ap that won't work right with 1.3.1 that is critical. to me (MyTether wifi tethering). So until the ap gets fixed, I'm NOT upgrading. Here's how to disable it:

From the Linux command line enter:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    killall UpdateDaemon

Hit enter twice between each line to get me back to a root prompt.

If you disabled your update you might want to re-enable it at some point.

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then restart your phone and automatic updating should be back.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    yes, you can disable it. In fact i had to. I have an ap that won't work right with 1.3.1 that is critical. To me (mytether wifi tethering). So until the ap gets fixed, i'm not upgrading. Here's how to disable it:

From the linux command line enter:

Cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/updatedaemon
    killall updatedaemon

hit enter twice between each line to get me back to a root prompt.

If you disabled your update you might want to re-enable it at some point.

Cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x updatedaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

then restart your phone and automatic updating should be back.
    Thank you sir!!!

Of course I use MyTether also and this means I'm gonna have to WebDoctor myself back to 1.2.1 and then disable the updates I suppose.
    Will this disable auto updates but could you not use the update app and do it manualy later when the mytether is fixed for good?
    the first set of code disables updates entirely, the second re-enables them. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post

From the Linux command line enter:
    a bit of a novice with this stuff. how does one get to "the linux command line" where i enter this.

my phone is pretty crappy since the update.
    Download and install WebOS Quick Install. Connect your Pre to your laptop and put it in CHARGE ONLY mode and open Quick Install... click on tools, then linux command line. But if the update is already done, this does NOT undo it, it just prevents further updates.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    Download and install WebOS Quick Install. Connect your Pre to your laptop and put it in CHARGE ONLY mode and open Quick Install... click on tools, then linux command line. But if the update is already done, this does NOT undo it, it just prevents further updates.
    yeah but what if i use something like webos doctor? won't that reinstall the original os forcing me to update then i can do it at a state like 1.2 before this phone became a slow as a tortoise and decided it didn't recognize my finger. Or does webosdoctor just install the most recent O.S?

my phone actually went into and out of airplane mode without anyone within 7 feet of it. then placed a call to some strange number with a bunch of threes. like 333-3333. I think the thing is haunted.
    I believe that it will install whatever version was out when you downloaded it. So if you download Dr now it will install 1.3.1 but if you dowloaded it a while back, it will have an earlier version.
    Dave
    i see. kinda stinks. i figured it may be like windows where you reinstall xp from your original disk you still gotta download sp1-3.