1.    #1  
    is it ok to keep dev mode on?
    I have read that it is not and should be turned back off. Can someone confirm?
    No. It is a security risk. Please see:
    Getting Started Guide.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    No. It is a security risk. Please see:
    Getting Started Guide.

- Craig
    There is no security risk associated with Developer Mode.

The facts are that enabling developer mode inserts a kernel module for usb communication (i.e. not accessible unless you have physical access to the device to plug in the USB cable) and enables novacomd ports for the loopback address only (i.e. not accessible other than from programs already running on the device, like the usb communication kernel module).

Leaving developer mode on is completely safe.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/26/2009 at 06:58 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is no security risk associated with Developer Mode.
    Leaving developer mode on is completely safe.
    Yeah, Rod is completely correct, though personally I still recommend turning it off anyway. To me it seemed like it adversely affected the already slow boot time.

Does anyone know for sure if it affects battery life as well? That's the other reason I turn it off between uses myself, because I'm paranoid about battery life (it just barely gets through a day for me, so anything that negatively affects that is trouble for me). I don't have any knowledge either way of whether it affects it, I'm just paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, Rod is completely correct, though personally I still recommend turning it off anyway. To me it seemed like it adversely affected the already slow boot time.

Does anyone know for sure if it affects battery life as well? That's the other reason I turn it off between uses myself, because I'm paranoid about battery life (it just barely gets through a day for me, so anything that negatively affects that is trouble for me). I don't have any knowledge either way of whether it affects it, I'm just paranoid.
    It would slow down boot slightly, since it needs to do the extra operation of inserting the kernel module and starting novacomd. You can see what it does in /etc/event.d/novacomd and /etc/event.d/usbctrl (search for /var/gadget/novacom_enabled, which is the flag file which determines whether developer mode is on or off).

Novacomd will also use 0.2% of your memory (compare this to the PDF service and Office document brower service, which use 0.7% and 0.6% respectively), so that is a valid reason for turning it off when not using it if you are not an active developer using it every day.

Neither the kernel module or novacomd does anything unless something connects to it, so I doubt it would have any effect on battery life.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/26/2009 at 06:59 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals