Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    my pre does this too, its more like 5 sec of the song but thats not my problem. i dont want to thread jack but i want to see if you guys can help me before i make a new post. my problem is how do you silence the notification, it seems like pressing the power button or opening the text, doesnt seem to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siscoa36 View Post
    my pre does this too, its more like 5 sec of the song but thats not my problem. i dont want to thread jack but i want to see if you guys can help me before i make a new post. my problem is how do you silence the notification, it seems like pressing the power button or opening the text, doesnt seem to work.
    You have to have your text sound customized to the amount of sound you want to hear. If you use a 3min ringtone as the text sound, 3mins is what you're going to get (no way to shut it off until it completes). If you cut it down to 3-4secs, you'll get 3-4 secs. It's all or nothing.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by meceres View Post
    i experienced the same problem, my fix was to rename the ringtone from "complete loud.mp3" to completeloud.mp3" ... try renaming the ringtone file, just use alphanumeric with no spaces.
    Is THIS still the only "fix" available today or has something changed since then to allow my phone to play the sms tone in its integrity?
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    The best fix is to open the sound file in an program like Audacity and add a second of silence to the file. No, Palm has not resolved the issue or provided a fix.
    I had a couple of MP3's for ringtones that appear to have been corrupted during the update to 1.3.1. They would play fine in (for example) Audacity, but Windows Explorer reported them as being 0 seconds long. I replaced them with backup copies and they work fine on my phone now. I can only assume the header got damaged somehow.
    I'm pretty ignorant about this (never heard of Audacity before...), but wouldn't a simple patch allowing the sms to vibrate let's say 4 or 5 times be enough to let you listen more of the text mp3 ringtone? Or are these two separated and I'd better shut up?
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    I'm pretty ignorant about this (never heard of Audacity before...), but wouldn't a simple patch allowing the sms to vibrate let's say 4 or 5 times be enough to let you listen more of the text mp3 ringtone? Or are these two separated and I'd better shut up?
    Audacity is an audio editing app for Windows. The problem isn't the length of time. The ringtone still "plays", it's just that the audio cuts out after the first coupoe of seconds. In the ringtone picker, when you play the tone, you can see the progress bar run through the whole clip.
    yeah you're correct, looking in the ringtone picker it's clear that the tone gets cut while the progress bar goes on, I'll edit some tonight with an mp3 editor (not Audacity but some other editor I alredy have) and see if it plays till the end. thanks
    yeah you're correct, looking in the ringtone picker it's clear that the tone gets cut while the progress bar goes on, I'll edit some tonight with an mp3 editor (not Audacity but some other editor I alredy have) and see if it plays till the end. thanks
    Just confirming, adding 1 second of silence to the end of the MP3 resolved the problem.

Audacity makes this very easy and Audacity is both free and cross platform. There is no reason anyone shouldn't have this program especially if you create your own ringtones. In fact, Audacity has a menu optin that adds x seconds of silence to the end of your file. It took me all of a few seconds to make the modification to my suspect MP3....on my Mac even.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    There is no reason anyone shouldn't have this program especially if you create your own ringtones. In fact, Audacity has a menu optin that adds x seconds of silence to the end of your file. It took me all of a few seconds to make the modification to my suspect MP3....on my Mac even.
    Since you sponsor it so enthusiastically, please explain cos i downloaded it and i do not find that function you mention...
    I just added a second to some of my sms tones with Mp3 Audio Editor 6.9.6 (which does have a function to add x seconds at the end...) and it doesn't bloody work! Texts still cut pretty quick... really don't have time for this bullsh|te, Palm should fix these bugs...
    Since you sponsor it so enthusiastically, please explain cos i downloaded it and i do not find that function you mention...
    in the file menu "Generate"-->"Silence". This would be on the Mac version. I assume that other platforms (Windows / Linux) are the same.
    Well, as I said in my previous post, it doesn't make a iota of difference for me, still doesn't work. I don't think is the application that makes the difference but I'll try nonetheless.
    If everybody else got it to work then I'm the village muppet but please those who can't make it work let us know. There must be a solution that works for everyone out there.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I also tried it by adding 1s of silence at the end (with Audacity), but that wasn't enough. Only after I added 3s did it finally work. Very weird...
    That's even more time-consuming then, one has to try and try until he/she gets the correct number of seconds... brilliant.

I already have files which go silent for 3 or 4 seconds but don't work either, should I add some more, Romans used to say: "melius abundare quam deficere"...
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Don't feel bad, crowning....it doesn't work for me either...and i know what I'm doing with audio and audio files and editing.
    Wow! I've read every thread hoping to get to one that has a valid solution. Here I am at the end and nothing! I agree that palm has really dropped the ball! The phone is sweet when working properly but with so many updates and tweaks it's ridiculous! You have to reset everything, every time!

I don't get the synergy. I have contacts with won't sync even after having the same spelling of their name.
    Last edited by dvannman; 12/07/2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    I also tried it by adding 1s of silence at the end (with Audacity), but that wasn't enough. Only after I added 3s did it finally work. Very weird...
    I haven't tried 3 seconds yet, though. Will try it as soon as I can.

I do, however, agree with dvannman. This supposed smart phone has been a nightmare since Day 1. And every update...is a joke. It's like they have mongoloids working on the fixes and updates.

iPhone Killer - ha!!!!
    However inappropriate or politically incorrect the term is, Mongoloids need work too, ya know.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottitude View Post
    However inappropriate or politically incorrect the term is, Mongoloids need work too, ya know.
    That's why God created the "grocery sacker".
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast