1.    #1  
    Ever since I got the phone I have wondered why they added Twitter to the default search menu. It seems to serve no point really. Has anyone here even used it? Did they do it thinking it would help marketing?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    It was probably a marketing thing or maybe a revenue thing, who knows. It is sort of dumb though, isn't it?

The only thing that it seems to make sense for is if you use twitter for news specifically and were to type in a subject, but unless you are already logged into twitter to see which #hashtags are popular, then you may find yourself wanting.

And the same thing can be said for google maps. Really, there is no point with the actual app on deck.

I've got two ideas, really. They could treat it like a list of search engines the way firefox does it. Simply have Google, Wikipedia, IMDB, WebMD, et al. That would actually be useful, and you could add your own on the fly depending on your needs.

Or, they could integrate it with the default apps added in the latest patch. Typing a name then pressing twitter would open them up in your twitter app, for instance. They could add a facebook option, which would take you to their facebook page in the (upgraded) facebook app.

As it stands now though you are right. It's pretty useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    It was probably a marketing thing or maybe a revenue thing, who knows. It is sort of dumb though, isn't it?

The only thing that it seems to make sense for is if you use twitter for news specifically and were to type in a subject, but unless you are already logged into twitter to see which #hashtags are popular, then you may find yourself wanting.

And the same thing can be said for google maps. Really, there is no point with the actual app on deck.

I've got two ideas, really. They could treat it like a list of search engines the way firefox does it. Simply have Google, Wikipedia, IMDB, WebMD, et al. That would actually be useful, and you could add your own on the fly depending on your needs.

Or, they could integrate it with the default apps added in the latest patch. Typing a name then pressing twitter would open them up in your twitter app, for instance. They could add a facebook option, which would take you to their facebook page in the (upgraded) facebook app.

As it stands now though you are right. It's pretty useless.
    I agree that this is probably the logic behind putting in those extra search options. I think that the new default apps sector of webos will definitely be a powerful feature if done correctly.
    I think it's useful for the extent of my use of Twitter....that is, just to see what people are currently saying about a topic. So if you type "palm pre", you can see the current conversations.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I would rather see a Flickr option of at least google images.
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    I was thinking Youtube would be good, even though there is search in the app, I think it would be handy to be able to search on it just like google by typing away.

And I like the IMDB Stihl.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    IMDB was the first hack I made to my Pre, need to find a better way to keep it in there to survive firmware updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    IMDB was the first hack I made to my Pre, need to find a better way to keep it in there to survive firmware updates.
    Same here, that, along with 2 others. However, I gave up on trying to keep up. Maybe when the updates slow down a little...