Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    well I don't know 100 people that I would want to text at once but based on hparsons post I made a patch that I think will work.
    Believe it or not, I decided what the heck (and no, it wasn't additional guilt-feelings) and decided to take a closer look. After doing so, I sort of thought something similar would work. Even edited my own file, and then realized... I had no way to test it. There aren't 21 people I feel comfortable about bothering with a text message (which almost brings us back 'round again, huh). I even went as far as to try texting myself as "multiple copies", but that didn't work.

One note though, I think it's a mistake to rem out the entire procedure, since it's still called.

I think the best way to do it would be to rem out (add /* to the beginning, and */ to the end) everything after:
    monkeyPatchAddressingWidget: function() {
    but before:
    }
    });

That would leave the procedure there, but it wouldn't do anything.
    Last edited by hparsons; 12/22/2009 at 04:57 PM.
    OK, I did my recommended fix. I still don't have 21 people I'm going to bother with a test, but I did successfully send a text to myself and my wife after remming out the bulk of the procedure as I outlined above. This means it will work if you rem it out (the way I described). I can't say for sure if it will let you bypass the 20 limit, but my guess is that it will.
    I still don't know if it will work but I used the procedure hparsons recommended with this one and just commented out the portion of the code.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I've heard about the mass Texting of people to try to get them all to come to meet up, it's what they do these days to up their chance of hooking up. Events promoters do this... drug dealers... etc...basically the same concept of getting the word out quickly and to only the people they want it to go to.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    He probably has created a text list (like when I get my hockey scores).
    How DO you create a text list or do group texting on the Palm Pre?
    omg I hate it when people send me mass text...like I don't give out my digits so u can send me 'forwards' and other crap...I feel sorry for ur friends
    Girls are like phones. We love to be held, talked to, but if you press the wrong button you'll be disconnected
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I posted in another thread asking for a way to do group texts, and got a similar response to the OP. A knuckle dragger thinking I owed him an explanation as to WHY I need to send a group of texts, which he proceeded to attempt to pick apart for some reason until I explained EXACTLY WHY, at which point he didn't even bother with an admission of idiocy.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post2177291

Texts are like books, magazines, speech, or just about any other method of communication. The responsibility for the content lies with the creator, not the medium. Nobody blames "talking" if someone says something stupid, so don't blame text messaging if someone texts something stupid. There are good reasons to send mass text messages.

Stop appointing yourselves the text message police. Nobody owes you an explanation because you have an account on a message board.

I found an application that allows contact gropus, it's called Super Contacts and works well for this purpose. I haven't tried sending a message to more than 20 people at once, but I will at some point and will post results.

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...super-contacts
    Last edited by cfbauer; 03/06/2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I guess none of the thread bashers have ever run, or coached a sports league, i.e. Babe Ruth baseball, Pop Warner Football, Pee-Wee Hockey.... with all of these groups there are sometimes dozens of teams with hundreds of parents that need to be notified of events, and changes...

Rain delays/postponements/schedule changes... meeting times, Fund raising details... the list is endless

There are hundreds of reasons a coach or administrator would need to send out a mass text to the kids and/or parents.

The guy who mentioned he didn't know "how the Pastor did it", probably meant that he didn't know how the Pastor sent out the 300 texts to all the people on his list, all at once. not, that he didn't know how the list was created. (The flock obviously signed up for the inspirational messages in the first place)

...no one is getting spammed in these situations.

Some people like to jump to conclusions, instead of trying to understand a different idea or need.

Happens a lot. Happens a lot more around here, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    Stop appointing yourselves the text message police. Nobody owes you an explanation because you have an account on a message board.
    I disagree. If someone is asking for help of others, those others have every right, possibly even some responsibility, to ask why they're trying to defeat the imposed limits.

Obviously, the person being asked can decide not to answer, and the others can then decide whether or not they choose to help...
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    Thanks, a word to people saying oh you must be immature or age group I'm 27 and hold a Bachelors and an MBA, work and own a very successful business. Ask yourself how mature it is to make the judgments you made based on a thread of a forum and that will answer just how educated and logical you are....the WORLD does not revolve around YOU. The purpose of a forum is to post things, it is NOT to post just what applied to ONE person's mentality
    Uhhhhm... yup. I think that's exactly what her point was, Einstein.
    I won't bother retorting with my own credentials - credentials are really only impressive to your employer and yourself. Since you're self-employed, that's a reaaalllly short list.
    It never ceases to amaze me how people around here treat others.
    I can't see Hparson's posts because I put him on "ignore" a long time ago. Early in this thread, however, someone block-quoted one of his posts. It appeared (to me) like Hp was acting like a presumptuous aϟϟ, but, lo and behold, he apparently contributed something useful for mamouton to use in his code idea.
    I definitely don't want to feel like a presumptuous aϟϟ myself, so maybe that Hp guy isn't exactly what I originally thought...

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Well, as the directory of an adult hockey league, all of my participants have asked to be texted (which would include 122 adults). As such, I purchased the Supercontacts + hoping to do this. As it turns out, you are limited to the 20 contacts still. I am interested in finding out if there is a work around for this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by csquare View Post
    Well, as the directory of an adult hockey league, all of my participants have asked to be texted (which would include 122 adults). As such, I purchased the Supercontacts + hoping to do this. As it turns out, you are limited to the 20 contacts still. I am interested in finding out if there is a work around for this as well.
    At the risk of offending someone like PREMeditated, I'm hesitant to put in a lot of effort on running this one down. The OP on here had two people tracking down an issue for him/her, two people who had absolutely no need for it, and he never acknowledged their help. Possibly he never even saw it, who knows?

Do you have the ability to go in and tweak the device? Either through access via PuTTY/terminal program or by moving files back and forth via WebOS Quick Install? If so, let me know, and I'll run this down and see if the previous work around will work with 1.4.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREmeditated View Post
    I can't see Hparson's posts because I put him on "ignore" a long time ago. Early in this thread, however, someone block-quoted one of his posts. It appeared (to me) like Hp was acting like a presumptuous aϟϟ, but, lo and behold, he apparently contributed something useful for mamouton to use in his code idea.
    I definitely don't want to feel like a presumptuous aϟϟ myself, so maybe that Hp guy isn't exactly what I originally thought...

Ahhhh, so you presumed you knew what I was. Sort of ironic, huh? As far as "contributing something", here's a couple interesting bits of info:
    ---
    PREmeditated

hparsons
    ---
    Call me arrogant, but I think you maybe "presumed" a bit much...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks hparsons! I believe I have found the work around. There is a patch named "unlimited recipants" that I downloaded and installed. This now allows all of my contact list to be used! I just sent a notice to test and it does indeed work with!
    Thanks hparsons! I believe I have found the work around. There is a patch named "unlimited recipants" that I downloaded and installed. This now allows all of my contact list to be used! I just sent a notice to test and it does indeed work with!
    Excellent. I thought I had seen such a patch, but wasn't sure. I went back and looked at the code, and it's still the same. The patch basically automates what we discussed here.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks again and "thanked" for your efforts!
    Thanks again and "thanked" for your efforts!
    Quite welcome. Actually, the wasn't the "thanked" that I was looking for. I just find it a bit irritating (not a lot but just a bit) when folks come on here, raise a fuss about something like this, then when effort is put out to find a solution, no one hears back. Did it work, did it not work? Did you find you didn't really need to install it afterwards?

I see the same sort of thing on other more major things as well. The HomeBrew stuff we see, virtually all of it is unpaid, and believe me, a ton of work goes into even the simple ones. Then we see people talk about what "junk" it is, it "needs" to do this or that, whatever. And though it does happen some, there aren't nearly enough instances of people saying "Thanks, that was just what I needed" or even "Nope, that didn't work for me, but I appreciate the effort you put in."

Trust me, you're the exception.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234