Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So youre the reason all my texts get delayed >.<
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    OP makes a valid point. Why would Palm/Sprint nerf texting capabilities on a smartphone where we are required to have an everything data plan? Further , why didn't they document it? I agfdd it is bad policy to take away capabilities without posting the reason.

personally I do not have an immediate need for this feature, but I am not so self absorbed to realize that others may use and rely on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    personally I do not have an immediate need for this feature, but I am not so self absorbed to realize that others may use and rely on it.
    Same here. The only thing that blows my mind about this thread is that the OP must have INDIVIDUALLY selected 100's of contacts, at least twice.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Same here. The only thing that blows my mind about this thread is that the OP must have INDIVIDUALLY selected 100's of contacts, at least twice.
    Maybe he does as I have. I save contact numbers into different groups on a Memos sheet, and then just copy and past them into the text message "TO:" box. It takes a little to set the groups up for the first time, but it's pretty fast and easy after that.
  5.    #45  
    for now yeah till the categories or group texting thing like on BB comes out...and btw its not so much regardless of the data share plan cause its unlimited text either way...but its FUNNY as crap to see people pull stuff out of their ****....as if texting 100 people at once will ever slow the network down....if the network was that sensitive it would be down multiple times a day....this isnt a gsm network its CDMA....think before you speak....
    Has everybody who has crapped in this thread got it out of their system?
    I sure hope so, because it's a Forum Violation.

I'll let you guys consider this as a Reminder/Warning to Read our Forum Guidelines.

On the other hand;
    Thanks to those who tried to assist the OP with his concern.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    These forums are full of kids... Nobody here uses their phone for business here... All the serious business questions are turned in to a bukaki session...
    completely agree, where are the MODERATORS!?
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    My friend gets inspirational text messages from the pastor of my church. He sends them to everyone on his text list. Might be 300 people or so. Not sure how he does it.
    And that's exactly what I don't want. If I want to hear some friend's Pastor's inspirational words, I'll
    Start going to his church
    Specifically ask that they be sent to me
    But I don't want someone deciding for me when someone else's words are important.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    What a bunch of close minded bullies we have become. Safety in numbers and anonymity, I guess...
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And that's exactly what I don't want. If I want to hear some friend's Pastor's inspirational words, I'll
    Start going to his church
    Specifically ask that they be sent to me
    But I don't want someone deciding for me when someone else's words are important.
    heres a wild thought, his text list is made up of people who have said they want it.
    I know several club promoters that need to text 100's of people to inform them of say a special on table service at a venue. Email wouldn't work, too slow. Twitter wont work, this information would be for vip clients only. So there is a very valid reason for someone to mass text someone, and have it not be as childish as all you make it out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by curtissc View Post
    Why not use Twitter?
    +1
    OK, the combination of my semi-snarky remark, suggestions to ask for a patch, and the mod's recrimination about crapping on the thread made me feel a little guilty.

First, I think this is a clue as to why this was done:

buried in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/compose-assistant.jsjsjs $is$ $this$ $rem$ $statement$:

/*******
    * Monkey patch the addressing widget if the carrier requires limiting recipients
    *******/
    Earlier in the code, there is a call to the "monkeypatchAddressingWidget" which immediately follows said rem statement. I think that may give us a little insight as to what the programmer(s) thought of the patch. But I digress...

That rem statement tells me that (most likely) Sprint has asked Palm to limit the number of recipients. Before you yell and scream that Palm shouldn't do this, remember, we are not Palm's customers, the carriers are. They are the ones that buy (or choose not to buy) the devices that Palm creates. End users (typically) buy the device from the carrier.

So, the next questions would probably be:
    • Is it "fixable"?
      Probably.
    • How do I fix it?
      Sorry, I'm too lazy, not enough of a programmer, and just didn't feel guilty enough to answer that specifically, but I'd suggest the following:
      • Poke at the code and see what you can come up with (it's really fairly readable). If you decide to do this, open that file and look for the above mentioned rem statement. The code is in there Note - be sure to back up everything before you change code
      • Ask one of the nice devlopers if they might help you out.

There, I feel better about myself and my snarky remark...
    Well...I support hotis300boy - A lot of people in India send out mass txts on festivals, holidays, christmas etc to wish each other - I hope there's a mass text solution on the Pre..
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    heres a wild thought, his text list is made up of people who have said they want it.
    You could be right, but see the bolded part of his quote below:

My friend gets inspirational text messages from the pastor of my church. He sends them to everyone on his text list. Might be 300 people or so. Not sure how he does it.
    I would think if one requested they get such quotes, they wouldn't wonder how he does it.
    But, even if you are correct, my point remains. I've gotten a number of "junk texts" that were obviously sent to me from someone doing exactly what the OP is talking about doing, but without my request or permission.

I'll agree that Sprint restricting this is a bit troublesome, and I have mixed feelings about the whole issue; but I'll categorically state that I would hate to see text messages become the SPAM wasteland that email has become. My professional in IT dates back to the days when email first started catching on, before SPAM was in the IT lexicon. I don't know what the solution is, but I know I don't want to have start considering spam filters for text messages on my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sittin@work View Post
    I know several club promoters that need to text 100's of people to inform them of say a special on table service at a venue. Email wouldn't work, too slow. Twitter wont work, this information would be for vip clients only. So there is a very valid reason for someone to mass text someone, and have it not be as childish as all you make it out to be.
    Again, sorry for "crapping on the thread" more (though I did offer something back), but would such a text really need to be done from a phone? Wouldn't a computer app make more sense?

Guess I'm just not enough of a power texter to fully appreciate all the hub-dub.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Again, sorry for "crapping on the thread" more (though I did offer something back), but would such a text really need to be done from a phone? Wouldn't a computer app make more sense?

Guess I'm just not enough of a power texter to fully appreciate all the hub-dub.
    If it's a last minute table opening on a saturday night, most people wont be at their computers.
    I'm just playing devils' advocate to say that there could be some feasible use for texting more than 20 people.
    I think from the code I mentioned, it's pretty clear this was done at Sprint's request. I would also "guess" that Sprint wanted a restriction because they felt that there was some m-spamming going on (yeah, this piqued my interest enough that I actually looked it up).

Wikipedia has some information that I found interesting. This one is probably at the heart of this new restriction:
    Some telecommunications providers believe that SMS spam is going to be the next big challenge as the fast development of technology allows SMS spam to be sent at relatively low cost using Internet SMS portals.
    I also found this to be of interest:
    SMS spam is illegal under common law in most jurisdictions as trespass to chattels.
    The article can be found here: Mobile phone spam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    well I don't know 100 people that I would want to text at once but based on hparsons post I made a patch that I think will work.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Dude, if you guys need to send email to 100s of people, just send it via email to their phone number address. ie, 9011234567@messaging.sprintpcs.com

See here for more details: Send a Text Message

Of course, you'd need to know their phone number provider. However, if you are all within the same company on company paid phones, the provider should obvious be the same across the board.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast