Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I just updated my PRL. I hope this works.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    For those of you that update your PRL's, let us know how it effects your battery life. My phone was running like it was flopping for NASA before I got my PRL updated. I suspect that at least some of us are experiencing this as a direct result of our radios not having proper instructions, as it were.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Reaper View Post
    set email to "get as necessary".
    There is no such setting.
    Did you set it to "Manual"? (Fetch only when you tell it to)
    or to "As items arrive"? (try to get emails ASAP)
    The latter is what we refer to as a "push" profile and uses more battery than
    any other setting (except for perhaps a very short poll interval).

If you enabled Yahoo synergy after 1.3.1, you must remove the Yahoo
    account profiles for Yahoo Calendar and Contacts, because they suck,
    literally. It also automatically sets up a Yahoo email profile with push
    profile, so you have to switch to an energy conserving poll interval.
    I kept the Y!M synergy and it does not appear to be a battery sucker
    like the others, but I don't leave it on all the time.

After the normal re-calibration period following the update (it happens
    to every Pre, whether you realize it or not), my battery usage
    is pretty much back to normal, if not slightly better than 1.2.1 (which
    was in turn better than the version before it).
    I was totally unpatched before 1.3.1 (just had been too lazy to
    add em after 1.2.1) but now have many patches/tweaks/services
    and none have hurt battery life. I do keep GPS off, but did before.

Attached are a couple images showing battery usage graphs from
    Battery Monitor app.
    First shows almost pure standby for most of a day, the
    second normal to light usage.
    Basically, that gives some idea of what 1.3.1 is capable of, so
    if you're not getting that, keep digging.

One suggestion I always make for those with battery issues is,
    to turn off data, and see if it stops the drain. If it does, then it's some app trying
    to access the network all the time. Check all your profiles. If that doesn't help,
    next try switching the radios off with airplane mode. If that stops it (after data
    has been off) then it's a Sprint coverage problem. If it doesn't help, then
    it's some app gone wild in the background, possibly something tweaked/patched.
    Using the battery Monitor App set to 1 minute interval can really help diagnose
    drain issues over a fairly short interval.

ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Pre did not have the problem but my girlfriend's pre had the battery drain issue after the 1.3.1. Anyway until the root cause and fix is found I suggest you download and use the "Data Toggle". This seems to work well. Turn it on when you need to use it for internet/mail etc., then turn it off.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    WOW, I did two things and all my battery issues are gone. I let my battery run all the way down till the phone was dead and then charged it. I also reset the PRL to 60657. Both of these have fixed by battery issues. I used my phone twice this morning in the first hour and was only down to 96%, previously I would have been down to 88% or lower.

If you are having battery trouble use these two solutions!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Reaper View Post
    WOW, I did two things and all my battery issues are gone. I let my battery run all the way down till the phone was dead and then charged it. I also reset the PRL to 60657. Both of these have fixed by battery issues. I used my phone twice this morning in the first hour and was only down to 96%, previously I would have been down to 88% or lower.

If you are having battery trouble use these two solutions!!!!!
    How do you reset the roaming list to 60657 ? After I select update where do I look to see the 60657 ?

Thanks

I found it....Device info / more info.Is this listed anywhere else ?

Last edited by Colonel Angus; 11/20/2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Found my answer
    Wow, i thought i was alone on the battery issue, been going crazy for a week trying to find the battery leak and couldnt. Thanx for all the info guys! i reseted my PRL too and hopefully this works!
    my phone is dropping like 20% in 1 hour, with 1.2.1 i could go 16hrs w/o charge, now it is less than 4

not sure what palm did, but i am not happy!
    I just got my Pre last night, I updated to 1.3.1. I left for work this morning with it above 95% then by lunch it was at 30% and now it's at 15%.
    It's weird, I had this problem the first day with 1.3.1 and then the problem mysteriously vanished without me doing anything.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The PRL update did not help at all. I'm still having the same problem; as soon as it gets close to 100% while charging, it loses signal and the battery drains so fast that the percentage meter goes backward.

I rebooted the phone last night in the middle of the charging to get it to fully charge. It was at 100% at 2am, when I went to bed. When I woke up this morning at 8, it had drained down to 26%!

I was one of the fortunate ones to have gotten a good Pre on launch: no dead pixels, not too many build quality issues (except for a very slight Oreo). Now, after 1.3.1, this is a pretty major problem.

I hope a fix is coming soon.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Since I've heard of nobody else having that particular problem, I wouldn't
    hold your breath waiting for Palm to "fix" it. At this point, your
    best bet is probably to run the WebOS Repair tool which can
    reverse any corrupt files without losing any data. If that doesn't
    work, the WebOS Doctor to reset the phone completely.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    Check your PRL setting in Device Info, it should be 60657. Changing your Network setting to Sprint Only instead of Automatic helps with battery life. Both of these reset after 1.3.1 update. You can find these in Dial Pad-Preferences-Network/Network Settings.
    A big thanks to this post that started the conversation about battery life and how to possibly fix the 1.3.1 bug that hit some Pre's. It works. I reset my PRL to 60657 and let my battery drain to 0%. When the phone was fully charged thereafter, my battery performance is back to normal or even improved somewhat.

To see what your PRL is at, go to "device info" and click "more info" at the bottom. On the next page, scroll down and see what number your PRL has. Mine WAS 60654 but needed to be 60657. In order to reset your phones PRL, open your phone dial pad and click on the Sprint dropdown (top left). Click Preferences and scroll down to Preferred Roaming List. Click "Update PRL". While I was there I also clicked "Update Network Settings". Once it's finished I did a phone reset (Orange key + SYM + R). When the phone comes back up, go back to "device info", click "more info" and check the PRL #. It should have reset to 60657. If it didn't reset, somebdoy suggested calling Sprint to reset your PRL.

At this point I drained my phone battery to nothing and recharged. It's been working 100 times better in all ways since updating the PRL. Battery is back to solid performance, pages move quicker and snappier. 1.3.1 works so much better now that I found the solution. SOOOO HAPPY AGAIN!!! Thanks for the advice. Hope it works for you too!
    I doctored my phone to 1.3.1 and that didn't fix it so I doctored to 1.2.1 and lett that go for a day and then ran the update and since my issues have been gone
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Here's my recent experience - I'd ran Emergency Patch Repair just before updating, and after the update to 1.3.1, my battery life was terrible. I was seriously considering using WebOSDoctor (or maybe getting an HTC Hero / ) - but did a little experimenting first.

Removed all the patches I'd reapplied - no joy. Total dischare and recharge of the battery, nope...

Noticed that I was still getting the (patched) default charging behavior when connecting to USB, instead of the choices... Downloaded the latest WebOS Repair ( http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...r-utility.html ) and ran it...

Turns out that a patched file relating to the UI and power management was still in place. Let WOSRU replace it, restarted Luna, now my power usage appears back to normal.

HTH,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    this is the solution from a Palm representative during a chat for battery drain after 1.3.1:

9:02 PM Steve: PLease run interactive test on device while charging the device.
    9:02 PM Steve: Open the Launcher and tap Device Info.
    9:02 PM Steve: Tap More Info.
    9:03 PM Steve: Tap on top left corner of the device screen.
    9:03 PM Steve: Open the application menu and tap Interactive Tests.
    9:03 PM Steve: Select the test to run.
    9:03 PM Steve: Once the test is done, please restart the device and then you can charge the battery for 2 hours and that will solve the issue.
    9:04 PM Steve: Press and hold Power and slide the Ringer switch three times to restart the phone. The phone may take a few minutes to restart.
    9:09 PM me: so what you are saying is by running the tests and then restarting the phone it will be fine?
    9:09 PM me: how does running a test help? recalibration?
    9:10 PM Steve: That should work fine as many of our customers solved the issue.
    Odd I was fine all weekend. On Sat I turned it off airplane mode around 10am with a full charge. I went to bed at 2am with a 50% charge left (light usage web, email, few calls). Sunday I had the same experience going to bed with around a 50% charge.

Today I get into work with a full charge. I have wifi on here but that's really the only difference. I get more e-mails too, but would e-mails really kill it that much? I never had battery drain like this on any other phone while leaving push Exchange e-mail on.
    well I was ok for a few days and now I am back to drwing 10%/hr @ idle. I even installled the smaetreflex patch(500) and that isn't helping.
    I am confused. This afternoon it dropped 36% in 3hrs with the only usage being sending 10 texts. I chaeged it a bit to 81% and the it sat idle for 6 hours and dropped to 69%. What gives
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
    I am confused. This afternoon it dropped 36% in 3hrs with the only usage being sending 10 texts. I chaeged it a bit to 81% and the it sat idle for 6 hours and dropped to 69%. What gives
    Keep an eye on your bars (signal strength), in your different locations.

If the phone is busy trying to find Sprint (or any other network), it will use more power. If you're in a marginal area and jumping between networks...

HTH,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast