Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Dear Palm,

    I love my Pre, I really do, but you gotta give us more of a sign that bigger things are coming for us, and soon. Right now, we have a very flashy phone that doesn't do some of the things I could do with my Treo 650 in 2002.

    The frequency of updates is appreciated, but the things you are updating are often so subtle, only hardcore propeller heads would appreciate them. And each update seems to be followed by a list of new bugs.

    So, let me make a simple suggestion. Don't release another update until it

    A) clears up all the bugs caused by previous updates

    B) improves battery life (it seems each release does more harm than good to battery life)

    C) lets us assign sounds to different functions (alarms vs SMS vs email arrival vs voicemail etc)

    D) GIVES US A VIDEO CAMERA!

    Thank you!

    Lee
  2. #2  
    i would rather have each one of these features as they are developed rather than waiting for all of them to come out and then wait for it.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post

    A) clears up all the bugs caused by previous updates

    B) improves battery life (it seems each release does more harm than good to battery life)

    C) lets us assign sounds to different functions (alarms vs SMS vs email arrival vs voicemail etc)

    D) GIVES US A VIDEO CAMERA!

    Thank you!

    Lee
    A) there will always be bugs, no matter how many times you get an update

    B) There is a tweak for that -- disable data when you don't need to use it. It significantly improves idle battery life.

    C) There are apps for that, and IIRC the last update allows you to change the tones of SMS. Alarms could always change the alarm sound

    D) The linux binaries for video recording are included in 1.31. This is very good evidence that palm is planning on releasing a video recording app soon.
  4. #4  
    op, the ground work is being laid for bigger changes, you ever read the front page? Video,flash, changing default apps...much bigger picture than battery tweaks....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 11/19/2009 at 12:20 AM.
  5. jaman71's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #5  
    Focus on fixing the lag. all the other stuff is lost in the lag. FIX THE LAG!!!!!
  6. #6  
    lol... like they purposely create bugs in the last update or the idea there will be no new ones in any updates going further. they are doing their best but bugs are things you always have to deal with... pretty much impossible to not have in this day but try to not have as many when you get to release.

    i think they are trying to give you all that and more and no doubt been working on it. just have to be patient.

    Give it 10 weeks for 1.4.0...

    according to grndslm in the Pres vs HTC Hero thread in Cross-Platform Chat

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    And after all the Pres and Pixis worldwide are on v1.4.0 in 10 weeks, and we all have video recording, mic APIs, and Flash Mobile 10.1...
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...ml#post2043628

    and...

    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    You will be amazed, I'm sure. Palm will get it done, which might not be as easy to see to the untrained eye... but they are a software company, and they are doing many, many, many things that might not be as apparent as text forwarding or changing the text alert noise.
    Hope that will help relieve your concerns and let's hope for your sake he's right.



    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Dear Palm,
    <snip>
    Last edited by donm527; 11/19/2009 at 01:42 AM.
  7. #7  
    hey c'mon now the tap on a link 10 times before getting a response in the browser is pretty cool. Palm has to change all of the features that already work on the phone before they can focus on adding missing features.
  8. Stihl's Avatar
    Posts
    741 Posts
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    #8  
    I sort of agree with the OP but only the first statement. I think the average user needs to rethink what they think 'big picture' developments are.

    Battery life? Video camera? Sound options for every single thing (this is one I personally would love, but...)? None of these are "big picture" since the whole big picture feature of this device is *drumroll* Synergy.

    We know the bugs will be fixed and everything that's been promised is coming, but we don't know the extent to which palm has planned out synergy. I'd say if the next update included, say, facebook chat as a part of the messaging service, we would have a lot clearer idea of just how streamlined they intended to make the Pre and Pixi experiences, which would go a long way toward boosting the confidence of the established 'fan, not fanatic' block of Pre users; suddenly, the facebook app isn't half hearted--it simply is a part of a whole in terms of user experience. To me, THAT is big picture stuff. Everything else is obvious and we know it's coming simply because it has to.

    It's the stuff that Palm accomplishes that it doesn't have to that will seperate this device from all the others. Unfortunately, Palm has many types of users all of which it has to juggle right now--all we can really do is patch and wait.
  9. #9  
    He did say he is not a hardcore propeller head so Synergy is not on his list of priorities

    Synergy is cool... but maybe he is Joe Public and the people like Joe and those thousands of owners that dont frequent the forums (no propellers)... having stuff the 'other' phones have is the big picture. Have to say battery life is not a bad argument.

    Anyways, no doubt they are working on all that... but is a lot on their plate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    Battery life? Video camera? Sound options for every single thing (this is one I personally would love, but...)? None of these are "big picture" since the whole big picture feature of this device is *drumroll* Synergy.
  10. a1aone's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #10  
    Palm is doing nothing at all, I got tired of them taking time to fix things that have always been a problem. I have a pre and a hero sprint just released an update for the hero that did a complete turn around on the battery life! I've been doing heavy texting and web browsing on my hero since the update and have not had major battey drainage..! So palm should get a move on hardware and software fixes soon, well they had plenty of time too fix theses major patches that would help us the customers. Htc knew that our text app was a problem and jumped right on it!!! Now it's hard for me too sell my pre with all the known issues that palm refuses too fix..:!
    Last edited by a1aone; 11/19/2009 at 12:47 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by a1aone View Post
    Palm is doing nothing at all, I got tired of them taking time to fix things that have always been a problem. I have a pre and a hero sprint just released an update for the hero that did a complete 360 on the battery life! I've been doing heavy texting and web browsing on my hero since the update and have not had major battey drainage..! So palm should get a move on hardware and software fixes soon, well they had plenty of time too fix theses major patches that would help us the customers. Htc knew that our text app was a problem and jumped right on it!!! Now it's hard for me too sell my pre with all the known issues that palm refuses too fix..:!
    wasn't the major fix for the hero just fixing htc's sms app from running 24/7?
  12. #12  
    "HTC knew the sms app was a problem..." Hmm I'd say having an app that won't close is a pretty huge problem, therefore htc shoul've been on it; it was a substantial drain on battery life. I'm sure that if palm had that big of an issue in webOS they would rush out an update too.
  13. #13  
    Doesn't a complete 360 take you back where you started?
  14. #14  
    well, honestly, the text message forwarding solution palm came up with is much better than the patch version IMO. It is faster, cleaner and includes a copy function. I think palm is watching many of the free lancers and taking queues from them. Infact if you recall palm has asked people to submit their apps in the app store.

    so far Palm has shown great attention to the developer community. But Palm is a business and they have a lot riding on WebOS, which means anything they include in WebOS needs to be tested heavily. But you are right that more of these little tweak options should be included in the preferences.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    I stayed on 1.21 for now and with the tweaks have more functionality then the 1.3 users without any of the bugs.
    You'd think palm would incorporate all these tweaks that already work and are FREE to redistribute in to a new release.
    They work, they're done, use them! Heck put Jason and some other's on the payroll if you have to. Seems a single person can write more patchs then palms whole development team. How's that work?

    I honestly think sometime's they purposely take their time to not include stuff so they can come out with updates and sell it as a newer model(at least that's what the iphone seems to be)
    Since palm is giving the updates away for free, I'm really confused about their business stratgey.

    Palm harness the power of all these other free lance developers.
    It's silly I can download a patch to rotate e-mail in to landscape but you don't take that same code and use it in your next release.
    I think the problem is that they are not "done". The patches we are using now in the end may not reflect the way palm wants to do them. Its fine to have the user "patch" themselves because they can wipe it before an update, but if palm just applies the tweaks for everyone, it locks them into coding those features in a way that may have to change with future big picture changes. Its not hard to write a patch not caring about what happens with the next update.....the problem is the pre was released asap to keep palm in business. And it was obvious from the get go. good new= it seems to be working, and we should be expecting new features out of every update! And the fact palm has helped by making the pre easy to "patch" for tells me or at least palm is throwing us a bone while they complete the phone and the missing features....
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 11/19/2009 at 10:07 AM.
  16. spud101's Avatar
    Posts
    868 Posts
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    #16  
    I think the "big picture" changes will justify a major release according to Palm, so I assume not before 1.5 or maybe already an early jump to 2.0???
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I think the problem is that they are not "done". The patches we are using now in the end may not reflect the way palm wants to do them. Its fine to have the user "patch" themselves because they can wipe it before an update, but if palm just applies the tweaks for everyone, it locks them into coding those features in a way that may have to change with future big picture changes. Its not hard to write a patch not caring about what happens with the next update.....the problem is the pre was released asap to keep palm in business. And it was obvious from the get go. good new= it seems to be working, and we should be expecting new features out of every update! And the fact palm has helped by making the pre easy to "patch" for tells me or at least palm is throwing us a bone while they complete the phone and the missing features....
    I would also add that some of what we're seeing are design philosophy choices. They may have enabled landscape in email and then decided to comment out the functionality based on the fact that the keyboard is portrait. And if you've ever tried to send an email from bed, you'd appreciate the lack of landscape capability in email.

    Okay, so why not give users the option? Well, two reasons. More user options means more complexity for users to manage, which leads to user dissatisfaction. Users want options but they don't want to have to know what to do with them, and of course you can't have it both ways. The second reason is that user options mean more complexity to test--it balloons the number of test cases that need to be run. And that means they increase the chances they'll miss something and produce more bugs or they have to spend more money to enhance their testing program, probably neither of which are an option for Palm.

    So it's not as simple as "just implement the patches," even if the patches work pretty well (which is more a testament to Palm's software than it is to the patchers' capabilities--which are nonetheless formidable in the extreme).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  18. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Dear Palm,

    I love my Pre, I really do, but you gotta give us more of a sign that bigger things are coming for us, and soon. Right now, we have a very flashy phone that doesn't do some of the things I could do with my Treo 650 in 2002.

    The frequency of updates is appreciated, but the things you are updating are often so subtle, only hardcore propeller heads would appreciate them. And each update seems to be followed by a list of new bugs.

    So, let me make a simple suggestion. Don't release another update until it

    A) clears up all the bugs caused by previous updates

    B) improves battery life (it seems each release does more harm than good to battery life)

    C) lets us assign sounds to different functions (alarms vs SMS vs email arrival vs voicemail etc)

    D) GIVES US A VIDEO CAMERA!

    Thank you!

    Lee
    I agree with most of your post except for "dont' release another update until" - I like the incremental updates.
    -m
  19. bnceo's Avatar
    Posts
    533 Posts
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    C) There are apps for that, and IIRC the last update allows you to change the tones of SMS. Alarms could always change the alarm sound
    How do I do that? I haven't been able to. I still use the MyNotifications app. If there's a built in solution, I rather do that.
  20. #20  
    on 1.3.1 in the messaging app, go to pref and accounts. You can change the tone there now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions