Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    B) There is a tweak for that -- disable data when you don't need to use it. It significantly improves idle battery life.
    this sort of rationalizing is the reason Palm is allowed to release a phone that isn't ready for public consumption

you don't sell a so-called smartphone that can't be used unless at least 50% of the reason you own the thing needs to be disabled. that's absolutely asinine.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    "HTC knew the sms app was a problem..." Hmm I'd say having an app that won't close is a pretty huge problem, therefore htc shoul've been on it; it was a substantial drain on battery life. I'm sure that if palm had that big of an issue in webOS they would rush out an update too.
    Not really cause android has plenty of apps we could download instead of using the stock app...! You all are stuck up palms you know what, when they don't do anything too keep customers happy!
  3.    #23  
    Thank you all for your comments! This is what I'm talking about! Healthy discourse! People sharing opinions without getting mad, calling names, or stating absolutes! It's almost as good as getting the type of updates we all want. OK, who am I kidding? that would be way better. But, it's a start.

To be fair, I am not completely non-technical, and I'm not completely un-enamored of the minutia that the updates go into. But, I've rooted my Pre, enabled CPU scaling (until it no longer worked effectively w/ 1.1), added Homebrew Apps and enabled tweaks (until I discovered that my battery life was amazing when I reimaged the device and left all that stuff off.) I've even turned off automatic updates (which was great, until I needed it back. ask my why if you're really curious, otherwise I'll save virtual paper). So, I made the jump to 1.2.1 which didn't seem to do much but only slightly diminished my battery life. Then I jumped to 1.3.1 on a whim, hoping the video camera would be there.

Which is why I stand by my original statement that, most of the changes are so small they don't matter to anyone but propeller heads. I appreciate that some folks prefer incremental updates, but I want something meatier. I could easily be running 1.0.4, with CPU scaling, and be getting an amazing 16+ hours of medium-to-high usage and only kill 40-60% of my battery. Instead, I'm on 1.3.1 and I get a max of 12 hours with light to medium use.

The most impressive inroads have been made by the LINUX crowd on this site who have come up with CPU Scaling, uncovered how to access tweaks, and created great Homebrew Apps and installers. They are the ones who have truly impressed me (Kudos, guys and girls!). SURE the multi-tasking and the Synergy are the real show stoppers that lead folks to the device, otherwise it's just an iPhone/Hero/Click/Whatever. Though, something that resembles the Palm desktop, or that lets you sync to Outlook or Entourage for free, would be nice. But, the real potential is being realized by the folks who are getting under the hood.

So, this is why I say, don't release new updates unless they actually do something of note. And that, would be something that Joe Average would recognize, like assigning individual system and messaging sounds, a 15000 volt taser or, I don't know, maybe a VIDEO CAMERA! I know "it's coming". It could be version 1.5.1 or version 2.0. It's just sad that everyone else has one and that my Treo had one in 2002.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    this sort of rationalizing is the reason Palm is allowed to release a phone that isn't ready for public consumption

you don't sell a so-called smartphone that can't be used unless at least 50% of the reason you own the thing needs to be disabled. that's absolutely asinine.
    It isn't just palm. My good friend just got a new BB Curve and his battery life also sucks. The Pre does a lot of background checking on sync'ed accounts and doing push e-mail. This means a lot more data usage than a normal phone. Simply disable this and use wifi which is much more efficient. If I am out and about and I need to be connected to the internet I simply tap one button and I am connected again and everything is fine. IMO the option to do this is what makes palm great. My average battery life has gone from 12 to like 30+.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12