Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have updates blocked because I was getting multiple 1.2.1 updates. I cannot install apps, but I haven't really moved my email around with MVAPP, and I have a downloaded version of 1.2.1 sitting on my phone (I think). Otherwise, the phone is great. The virtual keyboard works, My Tether works (wifi included), and I am really hesitating whether it's worth it to update to 1.3.1 given the problems with Exchange (which I have and is essential), My Tether, and the keyboard (although I understand that has now been updated for the current OS). Additionally, if I do decide to update, I have several options, the easiest just clearing the patches, downloading the update,and hoping everything works. Alternatively, I could wait until the 1.3.1 doctor is out, since that may fix my "reupdating" problem. I can't tell if anyone has had recurrent unnecessary updates with the new OS. Anybody else trying to make this decision?
    So My phone crashed TWICE today while listening to music(first time anything like this has happened since I had the thing) and now the freaking clock won't open. I just restarted and Im waiting for it to startup right now so we'll see.
    Thanks for the update, Copernicus.
    Its not the update. Which means it can be only one other thing... No offense lol
    The problem is not in the Update...it's your phone. Usually, people start having problems when they have some sort of patch/tweak installed, and do not take the time to properly uninstall them before an update...even if you managed to uninstall most of them and leave just one, that one patch could cause problems in your phone after an update.....My phone runs perfect after every update..even this new one.

Here is what i do:

I keep records of every patch that i install plus instructions on how to remove them. Before any update, i take my time to uninstall everything, reboot my phone, then i update....even if i'm not at home when an update hits, i just wait till i get home, then i remove every patch...i make sure i reboot my phone after i uninstall the patches to make sure the uninstall process if successful.

Most importantly, i do not mess with themes, because they are tricky to completely get rid of, and can cause problems when updating.. What i do is to use Winscp to directly change any .png file i want (after making a back up). That way, i can easily just restore it back.

Word of advise in case of another update...take your time and uninstall every patch you installed before an update.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I have updates blocked because I was getting multiple 1.2.1 updates. I cannot install apps, but I haven't really moved my email around with MVAPP, and I have a downloaded version of 1.2.1 sitting on my phone (I think). Otherwise, the phone is great. The virtual keyboard works, My Tether works (wifi included), and I am really hesitating whether it's worth it to update to 1.3.1 given the problems with Exchange (which I have and is essential), My Tether, and the keyboard (although I understand that has now been updated for the current OS). Additionally, if I do decide to update, I have several options, the easiest just clearing the patches, downloading the update,and hoping everything works. Alternatively, I could wait until the 1.3.1 doctor is out, since that may fix my "reupdating" problem. I can't tell if anyone has had recurrent unnecessary updates with the new OS. Anybody else trying to make this decision?
    I already decided. I blocked updates and I will not update to 1.3.1. Too many bad stuff I read about it, not worth the hassle! My pre is working flawlessly, enjoying all my apps and patches. Never was one to do something just because everyone did so. To me... If it ain't broke don't fix it. There will probably be a better update in the near future. And... No new feature is so great to me that I canlt live without.

mvapp for my email works great, was just about to move my apps too :-)
    Im glad someone responded when I asked how to do this another post ... So HOW do you block the stupid updates?
    Just update you pansies. Unless your previously screwed up your phone you will be fine. Your going to update eventually.
    The "bad stuffs" you hear are from people too lazy to remove patches and themes before the update..so they blame it on the update because their phones start acting up..My phone works flawlessly with this update, because i took the time and measures to completely remove the patches.

So, i think you guys should update...but just remove every patch first (including Virtual keyboard and it's folder in USB drive)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    The "bad stuffs" you hear are from people too lazy to remove patches and themes before the update..so they blame it on the update because their phones start acting up..My phone works flawlessly with this update, because i took the time and measures to completely remove the patches.

So, i think you guys should update...but just remove every patch first (including Virtual keyboard and it's folder in USB drive)
    Sorry, but that's not entirely true. There are some people who either never had patches or removed them correctly and have had problems with 1.3.1. For example, me. When I enter an EAS appointment on my Pre, it doesn't sync to Exchange. It did before the update to 1.3.1, and there are people who have done the doctor for 1.2.1, verified it works, then updated to 1.3.1, and it doesn't work.

So yeah, it's not all people who are too lazy or too stupid to remove their patches.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    It's all fun and games until they permanently update tethering into oblivion.
    We had one of our phones keep doing the 1.2.1 constant update, and we did an OTA 1.3.1 update...now the contstant update stopped on that phone.

(this was a full fledge hacked/ My Tether/ tweaked phone)

On the flip side: My brother whom does not have HSI at his apartment needs a working My Tether (wifi) solution, so I ran the update daemon script to block updates on his phone.... (waiting on aonic to fix the My Tether wifi)
    We had one of our phones keep doing the 1.2.1 constant update, and we did an OTA 1.3.1 update...now the contstant update stopped on that phone.

(this was a full fledge hacked/ My Tether/ tweaked phone)

On the flip side: My brother whom does not have HSI at his apartment needs a working My Tether (wifi) solution, so I ran the update daemon script to block updates on his phone.... (waiting on aonic to fix the My Tether wifi)
  14. P6
    Wow...dig the phone, but who the heck has the time for all this? I need to get some quick advice on uninstall and install stuff before and after an update. I accidentally updated to 1.3.1 and things were funky afterwards, tweaks not there, patches shakey, apps not working, etc. So for some reason, read some stuff along the forum and reinstalled WebOS repair utility. Genius...lost all contacts, calendar info, patches, tweaks, music, pics, etc...how do I get it all back? In layman's terms please.
    i've had the same problem with the phone crashing during music playback since the update. No patches were installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    i've had the same problem with the phone crashing during music playback since the update. No patches were installed.
    Yes we are having the same problem, wife's phone became unstable and we ended up backgrading her system to an older version using WebOS Quick Repair.

Problem did not go away till we reset the phone using the Power Button and Mute slider (on/off) motion while hold the Power Button. At least the reset made thing a little better...

Actually, wifes phone is still having phone problems even after starting over, so I suspect something is wrong with her phone.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem. My phone randomly resets constantly. This is post-udate 1.3.1. I only have a few homebrew apps. Do they count as "tweaks"?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I have a brand new Pre with 1.3.1 and no preware or homebrew apps. It's bone stock! I had no issues but with this update, the battery life has taken a crap and tapping on links doesn't always activate them!!

There is obviously something wrong with this update!
    iPhone 4(sold) : Palm Pre(sold) : HTC EVO 3D: Nokia E71-2: BB Bold (work)

Other Toys: '07 M5 : '08 LS7
    Im gonna go with Gwyneth here. I have updates blocked. I love my Pre and all it can do and all I have added to enhance it. I love myTether and Virtual Keyboard.

Im not taking any chances on 1.3.1 untill I start hearing way more across the board happier people.

Ya know, I KNOW this is not a complaint thread, and I dont really know an answer to this, or if there ever will be, But it is really SOOO annoying to have to worry about undoing everything you have done, everytime an update comes along. Its really one of my main pet peeves with the otherwize really wonderful piece of technology.

So, I staying with my working 1.2.1 for now. Classic handles my EZ Remote flawlessly, all the apps and patches and tweaks on my Pre are great, and until there is really something to want BAD (Flash or Video) Im staying put!
  20.    #20  
    I have updates blocked and am still running 1.2.1. I was going to wait for My Tether to get fixed. Realizing that people that have no problem with the 1.3.1 update are not likely to post and tell people about it, I'm trying to figure out if I want to update. I use an Exchange server with PIN lock on one account, and have Gmail and Yahoo accounts in addition. All work fine right now. I have a small number of patches intalled which greatly increase the usefulness of the phone.

Since the polls posted haven't really compared if the update went well or not, but rather tried to figure which problem people had the most, I have no idea how many people upgraded without problems. And I don't really think polls would be that useful, but I may post one at some point. But for anyone who uses the phone with a sercure Exchange server, has multiple email accounts, and hasn't had battery issues in the past, how many have updated and have not problems whatsoever?

I keep seeing people wanting to go back to 1.2.1. Not surprisingly, that makes me wonder if I should update at all. Feedback from those who haven't had problems?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast