1.    #1  
    Palm has been very good at updating the Pre. Sure, they don't always meet our expectations with what the put in the update, but that is not really the reason for this thread.

There are many various threads posted immediately following any update by Palm with titles like:

Palm sucks. Why 1.3.1 broke my Pre.

1.3.1? More like 1.3.stupid.

The truely amazing thing is that updates to the Pre are 95.3% of the time not the cause for the issues. Raise your hand if you have rooted your Pre? Uh huh, and how many of you have installed Preware, Preload, and patched your Pre? Ok, and how many of you have installed Themes?

Now we have a great community here where we can download various fixes to perceived or real issues. It's great, but don't begin to think that each update Palm puts out for WebOs even attempts to take all the tweaks, themes, and patches into account. It cannot, so it does not.

Please, if you are going to attempt to update your Pre, make it easy on yourself and remove anything you have done to tweak or otherwise alter you phone's operating system.

This will save you time by allowing you to have a useable Pre, and the forum members time by not having to fix issues that arise.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 11/20/2009 at 08:50 AM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Palm has been very good at updating the Pre. Sure, they don't always meet our expectations with what the put in the update, but that is not really the reason for this thread.

There are many varius threads posted immediately following any update by Palm with titles like:

Palm sucks. Why 1.3.1 broke my Pre.

1.3.1? More like 1.3.stupid.

The truely amazing thing is that updates to the Pre are 95.3% of the time not the cause for the issues. Raise your hand if you have rooted your Pre? Uh huh, and how many of you have installed Preware, Preload, and patched your Pre? Ok, and how many of you have installed Themes?

Now we have a great community here where we can download various fixes to perceived or real issues. It's great, but don't begin to think that each update Palm puts out for WebOs even attempts to take all the tweaks, themes, and patches into account. It cannot, so it does not.

Please, if you are going to attempt to update your Pre, make it easy on yourself and remove anything you have done to tweak or otherwise alter you phone's operating system.

This will save you time by allowing you to have a useable Pre, and the forum members time by not having to fix issues that arise.
    I did not start using preware or homebrew until after the 1.3.1 upgrade. Now I have problems.
    I've almost reached the decision that I'm going to doctor my Pre before each update. Not quite there, but close...
    I DID doctor my Pre before the 1.3.1 update, to be safe. Then I was confronted by the massive Palm Profile fail <sigh>.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by edtim48 View Post
    I did not start using preware or homebrew until after the 1.3.1 upgrade. Now I have problems.
    Then I wasn't referring to you.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Fantastic Thread Pogey!
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I don't ever post here. Well until now. I am really happy we can mod the pre and still up date the OS. Preware is great.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Fantastic Thread Pogey!
    Not quite. In all of those "1.3.stupid" threads, there are plenty of people who are saying the same thing the OP is saying here. Why anyone would Thank him for this is beyond me. Oh.. wait.

Although there is one thing this thread is good for. That second guy to post a reply.. the one who looks exactly like Cleveland from Family Guy.. well.. Cleveland here broke his Pre.. but AFTER the update came out. If you updated to 1.3.1 with no issues and only begun having problems AFTER you installed PreWare... it's probably PreWare... Cleveland, why bother posting in this thread then?

Okay, that's mean. Maybe Cleveland was just trying to point out a "real life example" of how his Pre stopped working. Thanks a lot Cleveland.

One more thing... I've been through three updates with the Pre so far (can anyone guess which ones?) and I would say Doctoring it is a good idea prior to installing an update. It's really not that bad. One thing I didn't like was how Palm erased the contacts that were stored locally on my Pre. At least now I know not to trust Palm's Back Up app.. Luckily I'm not an ***** and my contacts are all stored in various places online as well as my iMac.

Big ups to DrewPre for working on his Back up app.. looking forward to it!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Ok i may just be an ***** but i have followed the directions on installing preware on my pre and it will not work. It keeps telling me that i don't have the package manager services installed or running. I had it on my pre before 1.3.1 came out and now i cannot get it to work no matter what i do.
    I had a problem with this update, after the update none of my patches would work. After some investigating I saw what I did wrong I used Emergency Patch Recovery before I removed my theme. I finally gave up and doctored my phone and about 2 hours later I had the 1.3.1 update and all the patches, apps and theme that I had before. I have had to doctor my phone twice and I have had no problems getting my syncing and getting my backup on my phone.