Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As with all Pre users, I was giddy with excitement over another new update. But this 1.3.1 is a nightmare. The first such update nightmare of its kind--at least for me. All other updates have been wonderful and delivered as promised.

Instead of speedy response times I have sluggishness and stuttering in every phase of the phone. The touch/taps do not work quickly anymore. My phone is like a half broken toy. No home brews. Just the stuff it came with. And now my battery drains like a race horse. Nothing running in the background but battery "shrinkage" like you wouldnt believe. I have changed nothing and only added the 1.3.1.

I am reading through others with similar problems but none of the solutions seem to work. Truly the phone is functioning much worse now than when it came out of the box June 6. Has Palm said anything about this update being quirky at best? Will they be trying to fix this quickly? This update feels like a huge step backwards at best. I'm open to any and all suggestions! Love my Pre and want it back the way it was...but better!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Sounds like there is a flaw in the update which is causing extensive CPU usage...it would explain all the symptoms you are describing. Maybe I should be glad mine isn't updating right now!
    1.3.1 improved my phone immensely as it also did for a few of my friends. Blanketing 1.3.1 as a "nightmare" is hardly fair. A forum search will show a large connection between many 1.3.1 problems and webOS patches/themes/homebrew that did get dealt with properly before/after an upgrade regardless of the version. That's not to say webOS patches/themes/homebrew are some how bad, they arn't, but you can hardly put blame on Palm for that.
    I'v had nothing but problems with it and it upgraded against my will. Ruined my whole day and has had my pulsing with rage and an unuseable phone. I called sprint who said they've received "a great deal" of calls about it and have no fix. In sprints defense the guy was nice and tried to apologize and but left me with "learn to live with it"
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    You could WebDr it and start fresh to see if that helps? 1.3.1 works great on my Pre. Much better than the previous version and I have a ton of tweaks & patches on my Pre (read my signature).

The only thing about 1.3.1 that I've found is a random bug with the text message alert sound. Sometimes it gets cut-off half-way through. Still trying to duplicate it with consistency so that I can report it to Palm as a bug report.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Can't say I share your experience with 1.3.1, and I'm dying to get it back on my phone, I'm stuck on 1.2.1 because it won't validate 1.3.1 and it's not available in webOS Dr form.
    I'm with ryleyinstl in my experience.

Did you uninstall all patches before you updated, or used the Emergency Patch Removal.

A rule of thumb is, a patch will never create a worse exprience, Palm extensivly tests thier patches and it would become very obvious something is wrong if they had your problems. If something isn't right, it's on your end. The only sure way is to Dr. your phone, or just never install homebrew (apps not included). I'm all for the Dr. personally.
    I finally got my update, and I couldn't be happier.

I haven't seen any additional battery drain, in fact, I'd say it's a little better than it used to be.
    My phone is also doing well after the update. I uninstalled my patches/tweaks before the update and added even more after. My phone signal at home seems to be stronger after the update.
  10.    #10  
    No patches/themes/homebrews ever on my Pre. Just the out of the box experience--which to date has been mostly flawless. Each update was wonderful and added to the Pre. This one -- at least on my Pre-- seems flawed. You may be right--maybe it didnt install correctly. What steps must I take to remove it and reinstall it? I want my smooth running Pre back!
    My first day after update was like "DEANANDBEK", after running through each program it seemed to initialize them and everything began to speed up, battery drain stopped. Try walking it through every program on your phone and see if it solves the problem.
    You can use the Dr. (Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint) but make sure you backup everything on your phone, some people have problems with contacts being lost this way (even though the backup from palm should save it for you)

That'll revert to what it would be like right out of the box.
    Run the webOS Doctor Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

...then upgrade to 1.3.1 again.

Please note that this will completely delete all the info on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by deanandbek View Post
    No patches/themes/homebrews ever on my Pre. Just the out of the box experience--which to date has been mostly flawless. Each update was wonderful and added to the Pre. This one -- at least on my Pre-- seems flawed. You may be right--maybe it didnt install correctly. What steps must I take to remove it and reinstall it? I want my smooth running Pre back!
    yeah people keep thinking there is a connection between the patches and 1.3.1 not working well. I don't think that is true. People who didn't remove patches before updating may see issues but those that follow the correct patching procedure of removing themes and patches before updating are probably fine. I think the 1.3.1 issues resign in the update itself.
    The update has been 50/50 for me. Its has brought small new features I wanted but also has cause 3 main problems for me. 1st is the hit or miss or email notification, the only workaround is to manually check email after restarts to jump start notifications. 2nd I have been getting a lot of too much cards open error with just one card?! I could have tweed or messagaing open and I would get this message almost once a day since update. I believe there is a memory issue somewhere. The 3rd problem is the random freeze and restarting of the phone and it has even happened to my wife phone also when we have about 3 - 4 cards open. I seriously don't know what's going on but I had the same homebrew, apps from app catalog, and patches from preware as with 1.2.1. I am hoping a another update is close to fix these problems. And yes I have made sure I removed patches before update and I also doctor my phone and still having same issues. Don't know what's going on but waiting patiently as I truly LOVE this os and phone!
    my pre is not fastser but is not slower either. the nice features like text forwarding is cool.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    I'v had nothing but problems with it and it upgraded against my will. Ruined my whole day and has had my pulsing with rage and an unuseable phone. I called sprint who said they've received "a great deal" of calls about it and have no fix. In sprints defense the guy was nice and tried to apologize and but left me with "learn to live with it"
    How did it update against your will?

I need to make sure mine doesn't do that...
    the touch unresponsiveness is maddening, whatever the reason it needs to be fixed. it's sad when my almost two year old ipod touch has much better screen touch response....
    I'm hearing some people say 1.3.1 is a nightmare, others saying it's awesome.

Count me among the "awesome".

I'm actually wonder if there was a glitch at Palm and two different versions of "1.3.1" got pushed out.
    The problem I had was that I had too many apps and email using up space on the non-media portion of the pre's memory. So I downloaded from pre mvapp and terminal service and terminal application.. then did an mvapp doctor and moved the email and a few apps to the media side.. walla... more memory freed up and the Pre went back to fast and responsive. This may help.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast