Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Battery life during music playback is AWFUL. Starting with a full charge, I managed 4 hours of playback before the battery hit 25%. Is this normal - I really hope that this can be improved. Considering the Pre (from what i've read here) and iphone have the same hardware and the iphone plays audo for close to 30 hours, i'm really starting to get peeved by the overall Pre performance penalties.

during my brief foray with a BB Storm I was able to pull off 10 hours before hitting the 25% mark. The Pre is advertised as a media contender, but not even besting a BB is pretty pathetic.

Will patches fix this?
    nope. future palm ota updates may.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    Battery life during music playback is AWFUL. Starting with a full charge, I managed 4 hours of playback before the battery hit 25%. Is this normal - I really hope that this can be improved. Considering the Pre (from what i've read here) and iphone have the same hardware and the iphone plays audo for close to 30 hours, i'm really starting to get peeved by the overall Pre performance penalties.

during my brief foray with a BB Storm I was able to pull off 10 hours before hitting the 25% mark. The Pre is advertised as a media contender, but not even besting a BB is pretty pathetic.

Will patches fix this?
    75% in four hours is pretty bad, worse than normal, I'd say. Somewhere (wish I could find it) I read that doing nothing but playing music, the Pre should get about 12 hours of battery life. Were you perhaps doing something else at the same time?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    iPhone doesn't last 30 hours when playing back audio, unless maybe you put it in airplane mode, never turn the screen on, and leave it at the lowest volume. My friends 3Gs lasts just about as long as my Pre, 5 hours with volume at a listenable level, streaming off Pandora. MP3's in airplane mode might be 6. Phones are not good as iPods in general.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    not really.. I had 2 calls ( maybe 15 min combined ) and I'm in an area with great coverage. Totally nonscientific here.. But I'll give it a try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Ha I dont get 12 hrs while doing nothing let alone music.
    I've decided that the Ipod is a terrible Pre.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    pandora streams data so will only laat about as long as the phones talktime.

I've hit 20+ hours of mp3 on the wifes iphone betwwen charges (long car trips ftl).
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    thanks for the followups all. I'll try again and see what I need to do to maximize playback time as long as possible.
    I hope this gets fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    pandora streams data so will only laat about as long as the phones talktime.

I've hit 20+ hours of mp3 on the wifes iphone betwwen charges (long car trips ftl).
    Is the wifes iPhone a 3Gs? Those things can be very power hungry. 600mhz on the Cortex A8 type CPU's is a pretty major drain. I can't even get 20+ hours on my Zune at the volume I listen to it at. Was the iPhone plugged into headphones, or a car adapter? That could make all the difference, don't need to run the volume that high to get decent sound on the car stereo.
    If you're looking to just play mp3s you can drop the phone into "Airplane Mode"... that should extend your battery life significantly. Of course you won't be receiving phone calls, or text during that time.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    My Pre gets bad battery life ever since the 1.3.1 update! Palm better fix this soon!!
    Music last up to 5-6 Hours on my Pre. Before update it was 7-8 hours, a full work day!
    My buddies iphone gets 6-7 Hours currently, maybe 9 if he has no calls and only music.
    Seidio Innocell 2600mAh Extended Battery for Palm Pre = WIN

http://store.precentral.net/seidio-i.../8A37A5770.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezasf View Post
    My Pre gets bad battery life ever since the 1.3.1 update! Palm better fix this soon!!
    Music last up to 5-6 Hours on my Pre. Before update it was 7-8 hours, a full work day!
    My buddies iphone gets 6-7 Hours currently, maybe 9 if he has no calls and only music.
    Can't say I've ever gotten 7-8 hours on the Pre...
    Mine was also really low after a few hours of just listening to music on it at work, but then I realized I was logged in to AIM/Yahoo, so I guess that combo really sucked the life out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezasf View Post
    Not an issue, most people, including myself, have received better or similar battery life with 1.3.1, chances are it's a patch or residue from before you updated.
    I don't know but maybe its not an ipod??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I've decided that the Ipod is a terrible Pre.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    If you're looking to just play mp3s you can drop the phone into "Airplane Mode"... that should extend your battery life significantly. Of course you won't be receiving phone calls, or text during that time.
    Exactly, Turn off the radio and the Pre will last a lot longer...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast