Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    iPhone doesn't last 30 hours when playing back audio, unless maybe you put it in airplane mode, never turn the screen on, and leave it at the lowest volume. My friends 3Gs lasts just about as long as my Pre, 5 hours with volume at a listenable level, streaming off Pandora. MP3's in airplane mode might be 6. Phones are not good as iPods in general.
    I recently used my 3GS to listen to a boatload of music while traveling, and can tell you I passed 20 hours and still had a good chunk of battery to spare. So the claimed 30 seems attainable to me. When listening to music, I normally sleep the device (tap the button on top) which turns the screen off (no reason to leave it on if the iPhone is in my pocket). Another thing to keep in mind is that the 3GS has a pretty efficient hardware/software combination for decoding compressed music, which has to help. It's even better than previous generation iPhones in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I recently used my 3GS to listen to a boatload of music while traveling, and can tell you I passed 20 hours and still had a good chunk of battery to spare. So the claimed 30 seems attainable to me. When listening to music, I normally sleep the device (tap the button on top) which turns the screen off (no reason to leave it on if the iPhone is in my pocket). Another thing to keep in mind is that the 3GS has a pretty efficient hardware/software combination for decoding compressed music, which has to help. It's even better than previous generation iPhones in that regard.
    speaker on?

also i m not sure about hardware/software music decoder statement. I highly doubt thats the problem, if there is a problem.

Palm is a connected device, more so than iPhone, that might drain more battery.

Still, there is no reason to ignore the fact that Pre has replaceable battery, which people can buy 5 extra plus a charger for $25-$50.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I used my pre at work and it died after about 9 hours of music play around the end of the day while it was on airplane mode. This was also using my spare battery which hasn't really been broken in. I've found with the battery's you have to fully discharge them two or three times before they give you optimal behavior. Still, I'll agree the pre's battery life is not great regardless of the bench mark. I still love it though!
    I have been happy with my Pre overall as a music player, in fact the other day I was jamming to a couple tunes with just the built in speaker. :>

Another good thing is it even can hook to the same fm transmitter in the car as my iPhone 3GS and sounds as good.

I have not done any long term listening but if I was in the car I would use the car adapter and at home plugged in like I always do so battery life would never be an issue anyways.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    I hear a lot about the battery problems, so when I got the phone I planned ahead. I bought a Touchstone for work and a car charger, the two places I listen to music the most. That way I never have to worry about it.
    After installing a Touchstone in the car, battery life is no longer an issue. If I listen to music on the Pre, it is either at work (plugged in to charge on my laptop) or in the car (plugged into the stereo and sittng on the Touchstone). Rarely do I have a chance to listen to music anywhere else. So even after HEAVY use all day, I am still around 90% when I go to bed. I realize that it is not ideal to have to charge your phone most of the day...but I agree with robskittles that the other option would be the extended battery. But the Touchstone in the car is a really good option...it gives a place for the Pre to sit and keeps the battery topped off.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I also have a Touchstone in the car now and it makes all the difference in the world. It provides a great place for the phone to ride and I never have to worry about the battery running low.

Wade
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Mine was also really low after a few hours of just listening to music on it at work, but then I realized I was logged in to AIM/Yahoo, so I guess that combo really sucked the life out of it.
    WOW im amazed you were able to log into AIM IM and YAHOO IM both at the same time? Im still trying to figure that one out

BUt you guys consider yourself lucky to get 8 hrs from ya pre playing music cause I cant get that from it just doing nothing
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I've decided that the Ipod is a terrible Pre.
    +1
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    WOW im amazed you were able to log into AIM IM and YAHOO IM both at the same time? Im still trying to figure that one out

BUt you guys consider yourself lucky to get 8 hrs from ya pre playing music cause I cant get that from it just doing nothing
    If it's not in airplane mode, it's not just doing nothing.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    It is an awful media player. I thought I wouldn't need a mp3 device but now I realize that it is a must. Especially since the battery is horrid now. I lost 25% in an hour and a half, that's just ridiculous...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ny88RiCaN View Post
    It is an awful media player. I thought I wouldn't need a mp3 device but now I realize that it is a must. Especially since the battery is horrid now. I lost 25% in an hour and a half, that's just ridiculous...
    Depends on your criteria for what makes a good media player. Video and sound quality on the Pre are top notch in my opinion, and this is much more important to me than battery life. The only time battery life really matters to me for media is when I'm on an airplane, but of course then I can use airplane mode and really do quite well on battery.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Mine works just fine... speak for yourself..
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    Battery life during music playback is AWFUL. Starting with a full charge, I managed 4 hours of playback before the battery hit 25%. Is this normal - I really hope that this can be improved. Considering the Pre (from what i've read here) and iphone have the same hardware and the iphone plays audo for close to 30 hours, i'm really starting to get peeved by the overall Pre performance penalties.

during my brief foray with a BB Storm I was able to pull off 10 hours before hitting the 25% mark. The Pre is advertised as a media contender, but not even besting a BB is pretty pathetic.

Will patches fix this?
    sounds like user error to me. I get 6 without a problem. I follow the battery conservation methods. I currently have 1,013 songs and 2 full length movies on my Pre. I can't watch the entire Transformers 2 on one battery and I never thought I would be able to.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I've decided that the Ipod is a terrible Pre.
    I have to agree the Ipod is a TERRIBLE PRE
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MerchantofDoom View Post
    sounds like user error to me. I get 6 without a problem. I follow the battery conservation methods. I currently have 1,013 songs and 2 full length movies on my Pre. I can't watch the entire Transformers 2 on one battery and I never thought I would be able to.
    WOW im jealous ...you had time to find out you couldn't watch all of a movie on one battery LMAO Where do you find time to do that? HEHE
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    If you want it to be an ipod, then put it in airplane mode. In airplane mode, on the 5-1/2 flights I have to take, listening to music for all 5-1/2 hours, I use up at the most 15% battery.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    If you want it to be an ipod, then put it in airplane mode. In airplane mode, on the 5-1/2 flights I have to take, listening to music for all 5-1/2 hours, I use up at the most 15% battery.
    alright guys, so just to review:

if you want decent battery life from the Palm Pre

disable all features, and put it in a dark drawer until the morning.

then recharge

come on, folks, wake up. this f'ing device is a joke right now.
    Last edited by dead78; 11/19/2009 at 12:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    alright guys, so just to review:

if you want to decent battery life from the Palm Pre

disable all features, and put it in a dark drawer until the morning.

then recharge

come on, folks, wake up. this f'ing device is a joke right now.
    WOW!!!!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    After 20 minute drive yesterday listening to podcasts it still read 100% with the phone on (no calls).

-Rick
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast