Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hi, i just bought a cheap car charger for pre from ebay.
    However, i do not dare to use it right now.
    Anyone has tried a car charger and still survive? Many thanks.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Depends on the model I think. I personally haven't.
    I bought one from one of the cellular online sites (like $7 or something) I rarely have to use it but I haven't seen anything bad happen. I've never had a problem with the car chargers on any of my phones and I always by 'el cheapos'
    I think the Pre has some safety precations for it, and I haven't read any instances of this happening. I do know that it apparently was a common thing for iPhones so idk.
    Most of the generic ones were under powering the Pre. Here's a good list of working and non-working 3rd party power adapters: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-adapters.html
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I just bought the overpriced Palm branded Pre car charger and called it a day.
    One other thing to be aware of....

Using non-Palm approved or branded hardware (batteries, chargers, even headsets) will void your manufacturer's (Palm) warranty.

It can, in some cases, also void your warranty with Sprint through their Asurion coverage.

It is why we have the overpriced Palm charger, and my BIGGEST hang-up on going with an extended life battery.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Friend of mine got a car charger from ebay and his phn back was hotter than normal when charging, my palm car charger does not do tht so Im not to sure about aftermarket chargers
    This didnt happin with my pre but my old phone the charger was micro usb but it wasnt shaped for it it had extra teath and it broke my phones charger. I would take that back and not risk it.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    One other thing to be aware of....

Using non-Palm approved or branded hardware (batteries, chargers, even headsets) will void your manufacturer's (Palm) warranty.

It can, in some cases, also void your warranty with Sprint through their Asurion coverage.

It is why we have the overpriced Palm charger, and my BIGGEST hang-up on going with an extended life battery.
    are they able to track what kind of charger we are using?
    Not so much track the specific charger, but they do know the types of damage that occurs with non-compatible chargers, from the testing they do to certify and brand their own. A close friend of ours worked in repairs for Verizon, and told us that chargers (both car & wall) leave specific types of damage in specific places that are exceedingly rare in occurance, and do not happen for any other reasons. After-market chargers that are cheap are very infrequently subjected to more than the barest minimum of testing, and well, you get what you pay for. Cheap materials do not conduct electricity steadily or stably (electronics 101 there), and are prone to breaking down VERY quickly, thus causing power surges and shorts that can be traced back to the charging port through the wiring and electronics in the phone.

Personally, I'd rather spend 30 on Palm's charger, and know that my $600 handset is covered than save 20 to pay $600, savvy?

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    There is no testing done by SPRINT to verify which charger you use . So buy whatever charger you like .
    Quote Originally Posted by 27scoob View Post
    There is no testing done by SPRINT to verify which charger you use . So buy whatever charger you like .
    There's no way for ANY carrier to tell WHICH charger you are using. What they can tell is if the damage has been done by A charger, and the TYPE of damage done by cheap chargers is highly characteristic, and almost never occurs with certified, licensed chargers from the carrier or manufacturer. Not to say that it doesn't but it's REALLY REALLY REALLY rare.

Obviously the choice of which charger to buy is up to the user. Personally, again, I'd rather spend the extra $20 now vs. $600 later when the cheap charger fries my phone (and yes, I've personally had that happen, NEVER used an off brand charger again, no, not with the Pre, it was on a BB Pearl) and my warranties/insurance won't replace it.

Just my .02.

~Kelly

Also guys with any car charger you should never have your phone plugged in when you start your car because of surges in electricity when the car starts up
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    ... Personally, again, I'd rather spend the extra $20 now...
    That's what I normally do, rather than trying to save a few dollars buying a 3rd party device.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's