1.    #1  
    Hi there, long time reader but first time poster looking for some advise.

I have a UK O2 Pre phone and like most of you I am stuck on 1.1.3 firmware. Now my questions are

• Should I flash my pre to sprint 1.2.1 and then it will auto upgrade to 1.3 or wait for a few more weeks to see if they will finally release the new update to everyone?

• When flashing my pre to sprint 1.2.1, do I just download the webdoctor sprint 1.2.1 – attach my pre to the PC and follow the instructions? Will I lose my contacts and email address etc?

• What happens when the GSM release finally happens – do we downgrade our pre to 1.2 again the update the official patch or will it work with the sprint version on the phone?

Sorry for my questions but just don’t know what to do….
    cheers
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Personally, I have decided to wait - the update is apparently coming before the end of November and given that Palm (apparently) like to do their updates at the weekend, we should see it in Europe by 29/11 latest. I can wait 11 days - unless of course someone knows something I don't.
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums, to clarify a few queries:

• If i were you i'd wait, the 1.3.1 update for GSM Phones will be coming before the end of november, and its not too long now, so hang in there.

• If you do decide to flash to sprint 1.2.1, you would simply download the WebOS doctor, this will put sprint 1.2.1 firmware on your Pre but it functions the same, but with the 1.2.1 update, just download the doctor, run the app, connect the phone when requested, and it will do the rest for you, its really easy. Yes you WILL lose your contacts and such, it wipes the phones clean and starts afresh, however you restore your data (contacts, memos etc) from your palm profile backup when you start the phone again (To see if backups running, go to the last launcher page on your pre, and choose backup)

• When the GSM release happens, you would have to reflash with the UK WebOS doctor which will give GSM 1.1.3, and upgrade to 1.3.1 from there.

Any more Q's feel free to ask
  4.    #4  
    Many thanks guys,

I’m just so impatient when it comes to these things, I waited with baited breath for the 13th Nov to come round think or rather hoping for a world wide release an when that didn’t happen people said by the end on Nov. So I just don’t know what to do… grrr

One other question – I know I have to remove patches before I upgrade, does anyone know how to do this, I have read about the EPR and I’m really just looking for a step by step guide how to do this.

Once again thanks for your help.
  5.    #5  
    Ok then I think I have just sussed it out for myself, run EPR on webos QI then re-start the pre and all the patches go ?!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Hi Guys.. just want to confirm something before I do it..

(reason why I want to upgrade is I'm fed up of waiting.. I expected the new firmware to be worldwide rather than making us wait.. )

I'm also running my own exchange server here so contacts / email re-sync aint a problem at all..

Right.. so to upgrade my phone to the sprint firmware all I do is download the sprint (pre) from Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Then I use this to reflash my pre.. Once this has been flashed am I right in thinking it will then update to the new 1.3.1 firmware ?

I have read that i will need to swap some files about to get the apps cat working.. is this the only downfall ? Does APN etc data etc still work ?

many thanks

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy_g View Post
    Ok then I think I have just sussed it out for myself, run EPR on webos QI then re-start the pre and all the patches go ?!
    Yurp thats correct, or you could use the recovery utility but EPR will do what you need. I personally just Doctor my phone each time i update to avoid conflicts and would recommend it, its simple and you can just get your contacts and such back from restoring from your palm profile backup.

I understand your frustration, which is why i updated to 1.2.1 only a few days after getting my pre on launch day =P. But its not long to go now so hang in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL View Post
    Hi Guys.. just want to confirm something before I do it..

(reason why I want to upgrade is I'm fed up of waiting.. I expected the new firmware to be worldwide rather than making us wait.. )

I'm also running my own exchange server here so contacts / email re-sync aint a problem at all..

Right.. so to upgrade my phone to the sprint firmware all I do is download the sprint (pre) from Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

Then I use this to reflash my pre.. Once this has been flashed am I right in thinking it will then update to the new 1.3.1 firmware ?

I have read that i will need to swap some files about to get the apps cat working.. is this the only downfall ? Does APN etc data etc still work ?

many thanks

Steve
    Yes, just download the sprint 1.2.1 WebOS Doctor, run the Doctor, connect your phone and reflash to 1.2.1 fw.

Yurp, the Pre should automatically notify you of the new 1.3.1 update being available, or alternatively just launch the updater and do it from there.

Yes, app catalog is the only downfall and the few extra sprint apps which you can easily hide with a few patches, and swap the catalog like you said.

1.3.1 Allows custom APM Settings to be entered, so shouldnt be a problem but if you are on o2 youre fine without having to mess around with the settings, it will just work. But you can manually edit the networkcarrier settings db for APN for a specific network if absolute needbe.
    Last edited by Adam Carr; 11/18/2009 at 04:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Thanks fella.. will go and get my lead now and give it a go :-) Is there an app that you would recommend to remove the icons or are they a bit like window shortcuts that just reside in a single folder that I can alter via some sort of root login ?

Sorry if I sound a bit green at all this.. only had the phone a week and I'm still very much in the learning stage.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL View Post
    Thanks fella.. will go and get my lead now and give it a go :-) Is there an app that you would recommend to remove the icons or are they a bit like window shortcuts that just reside in a single folder that I can alter via some sort of root login ?

Sorry if I sound a bit green at all this.. only had the phone a week and I'm still very much in the learning stage.

Steve
    Urmm, you could do via root, but not too familiar with linux commands myself yet, though there are patches which you apply such as "Hide sprint TV icon" etc and they do the job just fine, youll find these in preware which is one of the first things you should do first, dont forget the package manager first then preware.

Its fine, we all start somewhere, any more queries just feel free to ask, thats what we're here for =)