Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I got my first Pre in July. I'm on my 4th pre. Now it won't update to 1.3.1. I really wanted to give Palm a chance but as a developer and a user I am getting really turned off due to the hardware and software issues.

I doubt they will replace my Pre due to the software issue, they will probably do something equally frustrating like reset my phone or something, but I am thinking that next time my Pre has to be replaced with a hardware issue (not if, but when), I am wondering if I should try to just get a refund and cancel my service. Has anyone else tried this and had any luck?
    I'd say good luck with that. Sprint won't let you do that.
    Your 4th Pre? Gods what are you people doing to your phones?

I haven't exactly babied mine and it's fine outside a few cosmetic scratches on the back and sides. Yet I constantly hear of people on their 3rd and 4th Pres?

It's a phone, not a hammer!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Trust me, I am very nice to my electronics. It doesn't have a single scratch on it.

Phone 1) screen separation
    Phone 2) power button stopped working
    Phone 3) touch screen stopped working

As far as Sprint not letting me do that, I am wondering if there are some kind of lemon laws or consumer protection laws in place in cases like this.
    They may make you a deal and change out the phone to another one but they won't let you out of your contract without paying!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziegt View Post
    Trust me, I am very nice to my electronics. It doesn't have a single scratch on it.

As far as Sprint not letting me do that, I am wondering if there are some kind of lemon laws or consumer protection laws in place in cases like this.
    Have you tried WebOS Doctor yet? I'm pretty sure that will fix your upgrade problem.

I've had my Pre just as long as you and have had ZERO problems with mine. I know of 12 other people that have had their Pre's for months with ZERO problems as well.

Man, you must have the worst luck in the world to get three bunk phones when I know of at least 13 people who haven't had a single problem with theirs...
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I am on my 2nd Pre! A refurbished one too! I only had my first (Brand New) Pre for a month and a half when the earpiece stopped working and when I received a call it was stuck in speaker mode and I couldn't download or play music files!
    Sprint couldn't fix the problem and recommended I swap out the phone.
    So far so good with this one. :-)

"Lemon laws" basically say that must replace a product rather than repair it, if it keeps having the same problem. They're not repairing yours, they're replacing them.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    there is a "lemon law", but by the time you get to court, and IF you win, its going to cost you more than terminating the contract.
    You can cancel your service at anytime (with a fee) but you will not be getting your money back for the Pre. You might be able to get them to allow you to switch to a different phone (for a fee and you'll probably get a refurb) but other than that, good luck with it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

I haven't exactly babied mine and it's fine outside a few cosmetic scratches on the back and sides. Yet I constantly hear of people on their 3rd and 4th Pres?

I know I keep thinking the same thing. I have had the same Pre for months with no problems and I am pretty rough on mine. Of course, I use protection though, I have a screen protector (by Skinomi) and have a case that goes in my pocket (Smartphone Experts Ultra Slim Pocket Pouch).
    cancel and pay the 200. And sell your phone on ebay or else were they sell for200 or so. No loss on your end.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanknox View Post
    Have you tried WebOS Doctor yet? I'm pretty sure that will fix your upgrade problem.

I've had my Pre just as long as you and have had ZERO problems with mine. I know of 12 other people that have had their Pre's for months with ZERO problems as well.

Man, you must have the worst luck in the world to get three bunk phones when I know of at least 13 people who haven't had a single problem with theirs...
    I went through 3 Pre's pretty quickly back in june at launch. And one in July from BB. All new ones, not refurb.

First one had a nice yellow splotch on the bottom right of screen.

Second had a nice stuck red pixel in the middle of screen.

Third one was a bit weird but you could easily see the screen grid much more than usual. Very annoying. Had a couple of dead pixels as well.

Fourth one had a gap at top. Over a few weeks it basically got wider til it became too oreo.

Wife's first Pre was a keeper for 3 months. Then got a crack along screen at USB port. Her second one is ok for now.
    I'm on my fourth pre and only once was the replacement my fault. I dropped my pre and it cracked from top to bottom (you can look up my posting back in Aug about it). The most annoying one was when the speaker went out and I couldn't hear anyone but they could hear me when talking on the phone. I'm also having the same problem with the update, my pre keeps looking for the update but never finds it. Everyone says well use the OS Doctor and fix it, but I dont want to lose all my contacts again! Every time I have tried to get my phones backup I'm missing half of my contacts!

I've been a faithful palm user for years going from one treo to the next and switching from the 750 to the pre. I can honestly say I have considered the iphone and the droid as options and am still considering them after my troubles with the pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by gsilva View Post
    ... but I dont want to lose all my contacts again! Every time I have tried to get my phones backup I'm missing half of my contacts!...
    Try using DrewPre's WebOS Backup utility. This will save all of your contacts and everything so you don't lose them. I was lucky since all of mine are in my old Palm Desktop application and can import them from there.

The thing is that if there's something not working right with your phone and there's no physical damage, Sprint is just replacing the phones without working on them. In fact, I was told by a tech that they're not allowed to even attempt to fix them as long as everything is on the up and up. Some issues are probably easily repairable, but Palm wants to take a look at it first. I had a power button that just lost it's spring action and figured it would be like a 5 minute fix. They just replaced the phone.

I suspect this is Palm's way of identifying the "known issues." Any time a phone messes up, get it back in house and analyze it. Unfortunately it's a form of public beta testing, but if you can get by the hassle of a couple of trips to a Sprint store, it's a better option than consistently having a defective phone repaired. It would be interesting to see the replacement rates from June and July builds vs the latest ones.

Seriously! Im on my LAUNCH DAY pre. I have dropped it on concrete and hardwood floors countless times and the only issue with mine is a couple of little scratches and a slight oreo wobble
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    cancel and pay the 200. And sell your phone on ebay or else were they sell for200 or so. No loss on your end.
    Well the loss is that I paid $200 for the phone as well but selling it only covers the ETF.

Looks like I am probably out of luck though.

I'm just tired of replacing my phone. Not all of your customizations and app data is properly backed up and it is a real pain to remerge your contacts, recustomize your wallpaper, ringtones, etc.
    Well the loss is that I paid $200 for the phone as well but selling it only covers the ETF.

Looks like I am probably out of luck though.

I'm just tired of replacing my phone. Not all of your customizations and app data is properly backed up and it is a real pain to remerge your contacts, recustomize your wallpaper, ringtones, etc.
    Ozzie,

Have you tried WebOS Doctor to install 1.3.1 on your phone?
    I've web doctored at least a dozen times. Never lost contacts. Guess I'm lucky. I've been through alot of pres too. The hardware has been crappy. Why palm went with a slider I will never know...But I dont see another phone that can do what the pre does for me, I'd keep taking the replacements.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast