1.    #1  
    Ok I'm gonna try to explain this the best I can so bear with me cuz sometimes I'm just goofy and ramble.

Serveral times this has happened to me. I'll try to change my ringtone for alerts (either text or calls) and while it shows the tone playing I have no sound. When I get a text or call all I get is the vibration notice but no sound.

I cannot distinquish if I am doing something different or not when this occurs but it seems at least once when I used the 'sound off' button by the power button at least once this has happened. Is this the perverbial (sp) power button hardware problem or something that me as a 'goofy' 'non-techie' 'operator error' person is doing?

I've searched the forums and can't find anything and I've googled for other sites too and nothing.

TIA
    ive had this happen too i will randomly not get the sound for a text dispite the sound being on
  3.    #3  
    Bumping up!!!

Anyone can you please help. I don't know if I should call Sprint or go into one of their stores and I have to work late.

It just stopped for no apparent reason again. I don't know what I did or didn't do or what to do to get it started again.

TIA (again)
    I'll give a go at helping you all out!

First, are any of you running any patches that affect any of your notification, text, or alert tones that are not stock to the Pre? (Don't worry, I'm not going to tell you to bugger off and uninstall them. )

Second, (this will seem rather silly, I promise I'm not patronising you) did you double check to make sure that you had your ringer on, not set to mute all, when you were selecting the sounds? Was the little slider for "System Sounds" on, and the System Sounds volume all the way up?

Third, (this is the one that I am guilty of most often) is your media volume turned up? One of the nifty (I think) things about this device is that the media volume is in no way linked to the ringer volume. If the last time you were listening to music or watching a video your volume was low, that may be the culprit. When it plays the sounds as a test while selecting them, it uses that media volume, not the System Sound or Ringer volume.

I'll keep an eye on the thread! I'm currently bed-bound with torn muscles and ligaments/tendons in my ankle, so my responses should be rather prompt.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
  5.    #5  
    I don't run any or have any patches or any non-approved stuff. So nope no patches.

Yeppers I made sure my ringer was on. Made sure that little slide that makes it silent or vibrate is not on.

I made sure the settings were all turned on, volume was up all the way. I've never watched a video and I have no music on it yet.
    Alrighty. Have you restarted your Pre yet? Always remember that this device is pretty much an extremely small computer, and restarting is always a good first troubleshooting step. Also double check to make sure that the ringer switch is on.

I have noticed that there are occasions where the tone just doesn't play, especially when another alert comes in at the same (or near same) time, and sometimes just because the Pre can be ****y as all hell sometimes. :P

Have you noticed any kind of consistency relative to the problem?

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
  7.    #7  
    Yeah I've done the restart at least 3 times. LOL!

Yeah the ringer is on.

It happens both with the tone alert and when I'm trying to change it that it doesn't work. Then magically it starts again. Oh and when I put the headset in I can hear it in the earbuds.

I did find something just a few minutes ago that says that sometimes the jack for the headset may have something it it to keep it clean. It would be nice if there was a cover for it since I never use it at all.
    Well, you could always use some clear medical-grade tape (you can get it OTC at any drug store) and put it over the headphone jack to help keep it clear. There may be some aftermarket plugs of some type you could get to put in there as well. I'll do some research and see what I can find!

Try cleaning the headset jack, just for S&G if you haven't already. That may be your culprit!

~Kelly

9.    #9  
    I can get clear medical grade tape at work. LOL I work at a hospital and I didn't even think of that. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I love my Pre so far though...just that little fluke.
    NICE! I LOVE free supplies, LOL!

I haven't had much luck with a stand alone plug or cover, but if you have another old device that has one for a 3.5mm jack, maybe you could remove it and use it on your Pre?

~Kelly

11.    #11  
    Thanks for all your help Kelly (BTW nice name). I will see if it improves or gets worse over the next few days. I'm still under my 30 days.
    Indeed! Us Kelly's have to stick together! *grins*

Definitely keep an eye on it. While I'm inclined to think it's just one of those random ****y Phone Bugs, if it keeps it up consistently I'd (personal opinion here- if you're like me you don't have 600-700 dollars laying around to just drop on a new phone if yours breaks) go trade it in for a new Pre. You're gonna use this phone for two years, no sense not taking advantage of getting a new handset while there'll be no hassle about it if there's potential that a feature as critical as notifications is not working!

I'm really glad I could be of help, and glad you're enjoying your Pre. It's a nifty little device.

~Kelly

13.    #13  
    Thanks again. It has happened a few more times. I am planning on going to the Sprint Store tomorrow after work and see what they say. It's just freaky on it.