Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just wondering if anyone on Bell Mobility has setup tethering on their PRE, and if so, Is Bell identifying this and charging you for it ?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Chances are there are people, but I don't know if bell can detect it. However, I've noticed some awesome compression on the Pre, so if you had a massive spike in usage it would be kinda obvious.

I wanna know too.
    I heard that if you use Chrome as your browser on the computer side of things then they cant tell that its tethering. I have not tried this. I saw it on these forums a few times. When you do have time you may wanna do some more research. I know wireless companies these days will charge you up the as* for things like this .
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    I heard that if you use Chrome as your browser on the computer side of things then they cant tell that its tethering. I have not tried this. I saw it on these forums a few times. When you do have time you may wanna do some more research. I know wireless companies these days will charge you up the as* for things like this .
    That's my reason for asking. Even though tethering isn't officially offered on the Pre my contract clearly states that tethering is not included. My best guess is that this is a blanket statement that is included with all data packages so I'm curious if they actually do detect it with the Pre.
    I set up the free My Tether as an excercise with both the original 1.1 firmware and 1.2.1 and played around with it a bit but nothing has ever shown up on my bill. I didn't shlep more than a few megabytes worth of speed tests across it though, so it wouldn't have drawn any attention to itself by bandwidth. (Of course any form of packet inspection on Bell's end for browser requests with IE or Firefox as agent would have gotten me totally busted; though just because they haven't done that to me yet doesn't mean that they won't start.)
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    I'd like to know too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    I set up the free My Tether as an excercise with both the original 1.1 firmware and 1.2.1 and played around with it a bit but nothing has ever shown up on my bill. I didn't shlep more than a few megabytes worth of speed tests across it though, so it wouldn't have drawn any attention to itself by bandwidth. (Of course any form of packet inspection on Bell's end for browser requests with IE or Firefox as agent would have gotten me totally busted; though just because they haven't done that to me yet doesn't mean that they won't start.)
    stop being paranoided, you cant get busted for tethering on bell because unlike sprint, bell alows tethering. It even says in the data plan that your data plan includes tethering. With the bell pre, you can tether by bluetooth without making any modifications because bell enabled this feature on their pre. I wish my laptop had bluetooth
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning093 View Post
    stop being paranoided, you cant get busted for tethering on bell because unlike sprint, bell alows tethering. It even says in the data plan that your data plan includes tethering. With the bell pre, you can tether by bluetooth without making any modifications because bell enabled this feature on their pre. I wish my laptop had bluetooth
    ????
    The unlimited bell data plan I am on specifically states that Tethering IS NOT included.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning093 View Post
    Ummm maybe you can point out to me where I can access tethering on my bell phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    ????
    The unlimited bell data plan I am on specifically states that Tethering IS NOT included.
    For the record, the Bell unlimited contract specifically states that tethering is not included, however I have used my phone tethering, and it does show up as tethering on my bill, but for $0 in cost. I haven't put more than 15MB or so through it because I'm scared they are going to figure it out and charge me for it later.

I've also spoken with a Bell rep in store and they have said that Tethering is not included in the Pre, and they don't support it at all.
    interesting. I enabled WiFi tethering in My Tether today and downloaded roughly 5 MB of data onto my laptop. I have the 'Unlimited Data and Browsing' student plan and was curious if anyone else has tried tethering on this plan?

I've read that My Tether enabling NAT might be where Bell detects the tethering. Anyhoo, has anyone else had success not being charged for tethering under an 'unlimited' data plan?
    if you're NATing, they cannot know you are tethering unless they do deep packet inspection.

all current smartphone plans includes tethering... I use it mostly everyday using Mobile Hotspot (you have to instal it yourself though... Search the forums for the how-to).

you should be able to do it via bluetooth by just running "usbnet enable" from "terminus" (search preware).
    I have been both Bluetooth and Wifi tethering since October of 2009 on my Pre and Bell hasn't charged me a cent.
    My Smartphone Combo 50 plan clearly states tethering is included. Think all new plans except for Blackberry ones include it.

I've been using both Bluetooth and Mobile Hotspot and no charges.

BTW shouldn't this be in the NA CDMA section?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    maybe, I hopped on another thread that had already been started, I'm not the OP. I've been checking my unbilled usage on my Bell online profile and any tethering I've done for the past few days hasn't shown up. However, using my phone as a Bluetooth access point with Windows 7 did show up. I'm curious since Bell told me my plan does NOT include tethering.

I get my bill in 6 days, I guess i'll see if I get charged with My Tether then.
    When I signed up in January, My plans did not include tethering, The newer plans do which really doesn't make sense, You should either be allowed to tether or not,

If you got over you pay, too bad those greedy as s wipes don't care about fairness
    i also have the unlimited student plan, and i used wifi tether for a few web pages however it never displayed on my bill. I called a customer service rep and ask several time, the first said yes tether is included and the second and third said no. i'm using chrome browser dont know if it makes a difference or now however it was free.. i plan to test it again.
    Call bell and ask them to switch plans. That's what I did and I did not have to renew my contract to do it.

Took a month for the changes to take effect, but I'm on the new plan with tethering now
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    And the verdict is in, I was not charged for tethering over 75MB of data last month. I'm curious why Bell tells me tethering isn't included when I clearly am not being charged. Interesting.
    Hi please let me know what program you are using for tethering with the pre on Bell. I was using mytether but it has not been working since the web os update was installed a couple months ago.

Any details you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Aaron
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast