1.    #1  
    I just saw this:
    m.opera.com/next
    Do you think it would make our Pre web better or worse?
    One: the Pre doesn't support running .jar applications. You can use a .jar as a service, however, it doesn't support a .jar as a GUI app.

Two: even if you could, it wouldn't support multitouch.

Three: it'd defeat the purpose of the cards interface.

Finally, the Pre browser does have some areas where it could use improvement (no anchors, memory hog, etc.), but Opera Mini just isn't anything all that special. Sure, on a lot of phones it's the best thing out there (Blackberry, WM), but it doesn't compare to a modern Webkit-based browser such as that on the Pre. About the only thing it'd have going for it is that it'd run through a proxy and use less data... but it'd also look crappier (low quality images).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    One: the Pre doesn't support running .jar applications. You can use a .jar as a service, however, it doesn't support a .jar as a GUI app.

Finally, the Pre browser does have some areas where it could use improvement (no anchors, memory hog, etc.), but Opera Mini just isn't anything all that special. Sure, on a lot of phones it's the best thing out there (Blackberry, WM), but it doesn't compare to a modern Webkit-based browser such as that on the Pre. About the only thing it'd have going for it is that it'd run through a proxy and use less data... but it'd also look crappier (low quality images).
    Thanks, JHoff. I was actually hoping you would answer, because i know you know ur stuff.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Does palm have any plans to use anchors? That's prob my biggest gripe with the pre browser.
    I'd still like Opera Mini despite having such a good browser already -- it drains the battery pretty well running Web all the time. Mini would be much lighter on the system; and in some larger sites, faster.

Sure, you'd lose out on multitouch and other nice options, but personally I wouldn't see that as a big loss -- I don't use multitouch hardly ever in the browser as it is.

Actually, I've got to correct you... Opera Mini gives you the option for image quality. You can load full res images if you want.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    opera is a gr8 web browser......I was going to post a thread like this if no one else did.......what I really would like to see is the skyfire browser......I has flash built in......that means you can go right to youtube and watch a video.....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    opera is a gr8 web browser......I was going to post a thread like this if no one else did.......
    Would you recommend it over what we have now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    ......I was going to post a thread like this if no one else did.......

AH, come on....just wait a few days and post another like others do. you know when it falls off the first page, that way you can say you searched and found nothing on the topic.......
  10.    #10  
    If we DL it, does anyone know if it would show as an app on the launcher... so we could switch anytime we want to?
  11.    #11  
    Just wanted to put this back on the 1st page, cuz i know nobody looks past this one.
    Does anybody know the answer to my post just above this one?
    You can't run it, so what exactly are you going to download?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    You can't run it, so what exactly are you going to download?
    I didn't know that. I was wondering what would happen if I did DL it, but I didn't want to mess anything up w/the current browser.
    Even if you did download it the phone most likely wont know what to do with the file. It may cause issues as well. Better have webOS doc downloaded before hand if you try it!!
    SGIII SOON! (ATT)

Palm Pre- > HTC EVO 3D > HTC One X > Samsung GSIII

If any of my posts help you please thank me!!
  15.    #15  
    Ok, thanx.
    OK, potentially stupid question here, but the IT support techie in me won't let it go... LOL

What is "anchoring" in context with web-browsing? I've never heard this in relation to full web-browsers, so I assume it must be specific to mobile browsers.

Thanks!

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    Man, I really love Google. First answer in search for "web anchors" is: Links in HTML documents
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Man, I really love Google. First answer in search for "web anchors" is: Links in HTML documents
    LOL, and touche!

Indeed, I could have googled it myself, however I'm lazy, and wanted to give you an opportunity to show off your vast stores of knowledge. :P Thanks very much man!

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    I see some benefits having the Opera Mini, the compression, the large web-browser centric company working on this specifically, the standards compliance. But I believe webkit is by far the better browser, our version just needs a little more work, I'm just glad it isn't the safari build, that one is terrible.