Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I just got a call from Palm and it kind of blew my mind. I called yesterday because my Pre is not signing into yahoo messenger. After spending an hour on the phone, and goping through 3 techs (level 3), I was finally told that they were aware of the issue and it was being worked on. They said someone would give me a call when it was fixed. Well today I received a voicemail to call Palm in regards to my issue. When I called, after being on hold for 30 minutes, a new rep gets on the line and says they are still working on the issue. he said they were calling to see if I could sign in, and if I could, how did I do it. Those were his exact words. Wow. So not only do I have to rely on homebrew goodness to do the things that Palm should have done, but I have to fix it myself and tell them how to do it? Wow. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    haha wow unreal...

I haven't had a similar experience but I can tell you the more I read about this phone and after my screen just went dead and had to get a replacement losing all my data, I'm starting to realize this phone has some problems and so does palm.

Ah if I only knew then what I know now.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    As i do understand you complain, i must say this what the rep did was right in a technical stand point.You have a problem that they are working on so if by chance you some how got it to work before they could they would like to know. It many seem odd but truthfully a lot of bugs and other problems get fixed by the end user. So yes, your situation sucks and palm could of handled it better but there are going to be kinks in any software. I not making an excuse for palm just looking at it technically.
    Quote Originally Posted by tejoe View Post
    As i do understand you complain, i must say this what the rep did was right in a technical stand point.You have a problem that they are working on so if by chance you some how got it to work before they could they would like to know. It many seem odd but truthfully a lot of bugs and other problems get fixed by the end user. So yes, your situation sucks and palm could of handled it better but there are going to be kinks in any software. I not making an excuse for palm just looking at it technically.
    Thank you!! Here's what a lot of end users don't understand. Products are typically tested using "this is what you are supposed to do" baselines. It's hard to predict what folks will do with a system when it goes "into the wild" (add a third party messaging app anyone, maybe a hack or two that uses undocumented fields in your user profile?). The developer will frequently not even know how to match the "break" so they can find a fix. A user that has a problem, and knows how they fixed it, will often be providing clues as to what broke.

So, here we have a support company trying to improve things, and being blasted for it.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    but this wasn't a third party app. This was something Palm included with their release. I feel like an update is issued, all of the kinks and bugs should already be worked out. I applaud them for getting feedback from "end users", that's not why they're getting blasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckdw View Post
    but this wasn't a third party app. This was something Palm included with their release. I feel like an update is issued, all of the kinks and bugs should already be worked out. I applaud them for getting feedback from "end users", that's not why they're getting blasted.
    Folks have got to get past the idea that this is a phone. It's a computer, with an operating system. Because it does more than a phone, it has more potential to have problems. Every new "feature" brings new opportunity for problems.

Every computer I have has issues with new releases, including the "best selling" OS that runs on my PC.
    as a 15 year Palm user, I can confidently urge...NEVER USE PALM SUPPORT". While wait times have improved, the incompetent ( work from prompters and "please hold while I research"...ie check with the least dumb CSR around), language disadvantaged ( no North Americans) and insensitive ( ask for all kinds of info before answering even the simplest Qs). Worst!
    Demand a Palm Pre capable Sprint level 2 or 3 tech. 50-50 you'll get what you need. At least they can be understood. If they strike out and want to transfer you to Palm ( they did this twice on me with out notice) tell them to stay on the line. Each time this has resulted in the Sprint rep excusing us and we stumble to a solution!
    Be thankful you even got Yahoo Messenger. It never came with my 1.3.1 update. I have to assume that Bell Mobility had a hand in that one too.
    I'm not sure why people call either one for support. Answers & tools can be found online. I usually only deal with Sprint about billing screwups or to exchange/upgrade.

I do think it's kind of funny that the kind of people who call support at the first sign of trouble are complaining how incompetent the phone support is.

A trip to Palm's website and support easily led to this page in about 2mins of time: Palm Support : How does the Palm Synergy feature work?

Yahoo!: This account includes email, calendar, and contacts. Sprint customers can also set up instant messaging. Setting up a Yahoo! account brings in Yahoo! Mail Plus email (and for Sprint only, Yahoo! Mail), contacts, and calendar events, and if applicable, sets up Yahoo! IM in Messaging as well. In addition, email and calendar are automatically synchronized, so changes you make to info on your phone are kept in sync with changes you make to your info on Yahoo.com. Your phone also displays contacts from your Yahoo! account on your phone; you cannot, however, edit Yahoo! contacts on your phone.

Note You must add the beta version of the new Yahoo! Calendar to your online Yahoo! account before you set up your Yahoo! account on your phone. To add the beta Calendar app, go to: switch.calendar.yahoo.com .
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I'm not sure why people call either one for support. Answers & tools can be found online. I usually only deal with Sprint about billing screwups or to exchange/upgrade.
    Good info, but I agree that Bell is holding out on Bell users. It keeps telling me my e-mail and password are incorrect when I try to add my Yahoo e-mail, although they work fine on the Yahoo site. Time for a Bell customer care experience...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I do think it's kind of funny that the kind of people who call support at the first sign of trouble are complaining how incompetent the phone support is.

A trip to Palm's website and support easily led to this page in about 2mins of time: Palm Support : How does the Palm Synergy feature work?
    First of all, I dont call at the first sign of trouble. Precentral is actually my first line of defense, lol. Second, you would think the info you posted would have been imcluded with the update. As well as the service reps could have told me that info as well. And that's exactly why i come here first, you guys always know whats up.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    ok.. just dis the yahoo calendar beta, and it still does not work.