1.    #1  
    Can I take my palm pre to India and activate on Reliance network which is also CDMA network? Is the Palm Pre phone locked? Do I need to call Sprint beforehand?

This is only for a month while I am on vacation there.
    CDMA phone on Sprint are not "locked" pe say like other carriers. Sprint maintains an inventory of certified ESN's (electronic serial numbuers) for handsets that have been validated to work on their network. If it is an invalid esn, you can't activate it. Similarly, there might be a comparable limitation for Reliance where they will only activate certain esn's on their network. You can try though and ask them directly if I were you. For what its worth when I last traveled to India with my old Sprint Treo 700p, the phone was able to log on and roam successfully if activated...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! One clarification though. Did you sign up for international roaming with Sprint before you went there? I called Sprint and they told me palm pre is not an international phone and will not work outside USA. I tired telling her about CDMA network in India, but she didn't get it.

I also have the Sprint 3g card and would love to even activate that on reliance network if I could.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    My brother said he signed up for international data roaming and it worked very well in India. Much cheaper than doing voice roaming apparently. Let me know if you need more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by thechakra View Post
    Thanks! One clarification though. Did you sign up for international roaming with Sprint before you went there? I called Sprint and they told me palm pre is not an international phone and will not work outside USA. I tired telling her about CDMA network in India, but she didn't get it.

I also have the Sprint 3g card and would love to even activate that on reliance network if I could.
    No I didn't signup for the international roaming plan, but the phone did automatically login and send me a text if I wanted to signup when I turned it on. The Pre probably can support CDMA roaming overseas. You just have to get a Rep who is not cluesless to sign you up when you call...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well someone puleeese enlighten me about using the Sprint Pre in CDMA or some other mode. I did a lot of checking before I bought the Pre:
    I
    • wanted a 3G bandwidth phone.
    • 3G is supposed to be compatible to GSM (ie. same band)
    • When I was in Australia last week I had no signal at all.
    • When I was in NZ I could receive calls and got a txt about placing calls from the local carrier(even gave the rate). But when I tried to call out i got a recording with a "Call *123 for assistance" . But Baljeet Singh who answered said it was a sprint problem and to call them. I didn't bother with the "How can I call my carrier if I cant call the number I want to actually speak to?" And I had no data roaming. I had to get email by occasionally using wireless nets I found
    I'm a pro pilot and going out of country is an occasional habit for me even if I dont go that far usually. I nursed my 5 yr old Treo for 6 months waiting for this one. . .
    man this is great
    I took the Pre to India this summer after signing up for Sprint's international plan. I planned on only using it for checking travel itineraries and emergencies, as the per minute cost to make voice calls was $2.49.
    I was initially told by Sprint to 'disable' data roaming to avoid those fees as well. WiFi access was free as far as Sprint was concerned, but depending on whose WiFi you used (airport, hotel, etc.), it could cost you a 3rd party fee.
    The problem I had was when I could not access WiFi at one point on the trip, I contacted Sprint and they had me 'enable' data roaming to correct that problem. I got a very large bill for all that data usage when we got home and had to fight to have it removed.
    My experience with the phone was spotty at best, and is the reason I would suggest you just rent a phone while there. The cheapest thing would be to take a gsm phone if you have one and get a sim card locally.
    Have a great trip.
    Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse42 View Post
    Well someone puleeese enlighten me about using the Sprint Pre in CDMA or some other mode. I did a lot of checking before I bought the Pre:
    I
    • When I was in NZ I could receive calls and got a txt about placing calls from the local carrier(even gave the rate). But when I tried to call out i got a recording with a "Call *123 for assistance" . But Baljeet Singh who answered said it was a sprint problem and to call them. I didn't bother with the "How can I call my carrier if I cant call the number I want to actually speak to?" And I had no data roaming. I had to get email by occasionally using wireless nets I found
    I'm a pro pilot and going out of country is an occasional habit for me even if I dont go that far usually. I nursed my 5 yr old Treo for 6 months waiting for this one. . .
    No CDMA phone will work in Australia, as they do not have a CDMA network anymore.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Okay this is what I found out from my brother. I haven't talked to Sprint directly, but if you don't get a clear answer, find someone who can address this:

- enable your phone for international calling before you leave.
    - calls to Sprint service are free from India
    - from there you enable roaming data at $38/month. It should prorate when you cancel so you're only paying for the actual days used (I guess you could sign up for that from the US as well.)

He says EVDO is faster in India than here in the US, perhaps because of fewer users. Video conferencing worked fine.
    I'm in Mumbai right now. I enabled international roaming before I left, but not the data plan, and I confirmed that data roaming was turned off (preference in the phone app).

When I landed, I turned off airplane mode. It correctly set the time, and then I received an alert, telling me that calls were $2.49/min and data $0.006/kb (or plan rate). Texting: Not currently available.

I brought my old unlocked GSM Centro, and will probably just use that instead, but am debating using the pre... Will decide in a few hours.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    palm pre does work internationally....i went to mexico and i spoke to a sprint international rep....it just depends if sprint has roaming partners in india bc i added the sprint worldwide data plan for 40 bucks and u get unlimited data....just no plans for minutes so u gotta watch out for that
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

hopefully somebody can answer this.

if i'm not mistaken, some CDMA carriers in india use the same bands that the pre uses with sprint. with that being said, would i be able to activate my phone on an indian carrier's network? I am asking for a friend of mine so i'm not too familiar with foreign cell markets other than in lebanon it will cost you more than you make to have a decent cell phone plan.

so: Can I, somehow, activate the phone on an indian network... or am i forced to use Sprint International Roaming if i want to use my pre in india...

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by mokash34 View Post
    hopefully somebody can answer this.

if i'm not mistaken, some CDMA carriers in india use the same bands that the pre uses with sprint. with that being said, would i be able to activate my phone on an indian carrier's network? I am asking for a friend of mine so i'm not too familiar with foreign cell markets other than in lebanon it will cost you more than you make to have a decent cell phone plan.

so: Can I, somehow, activate the phone on an indian network... or am i forced to use Sprint International Roaming if i want to use my pre in india...

Thanks in advance.
    I seriously doubt that any of the CDMA carriers in India will activate the phone
    for you. They would rather you buy a phone from them. You could simply contact the carriers themselves and ask.
    Reliance Communications
    Tata Indicom
    Last edited by Sanjay; 02/17/2010 at 12:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse42 View Post
    I
    For the record, "3G" is not a technology, it's almost a brand name, like Kleenex. There are 2 different kinds of technologies for cell phones, CDMA, whose 3G technology is EV-DO, and GSM, whose 3G technology is HSPA, which are 100% incompatible. GSM is the most common technology, where CDMA is a technology that is deployed in fewer countries, and is slowly going away. Very few countries outside of North America use CDMA technology, so if you are someone who travels a lot internationally you do not want to get a CDMA phone, which is Sprint of Verizon in the US. You want to get a GSM phone, which for practical purposes in the US will be an AT&T Phone.