Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Weird incident last night - I was about to use the phone so I open the slider and felt a bit of resistance then heard a small crunch.

Thought it was weird, so I went ahead and closed it up, and opened the phone again, and a small silver phillips screw ends up in the palm of my hand.

I immediately took off the battery cover and it wasn't one of those black hex screws on the back, so I decide to remove the battery itself and see if there's anything back there. I was able to see a screw that matched the one that popped out but no empty holes.

My guess is that it is something internal, judging by the way it came out (through the gap between the top and the keyboard while open.) My first thought is to go to a Sprint Store but I have a feeling that they'll just chuck the screw and say that they repaired it.

Should I angle hard for a replacement, or just forget about it?
    Before taking it in, I would think about your Pre. I doubt it wants to be separated from its screw. Maybe give the screw up for adoption???

In all seriousness, I would take it into the Sprint store and explain exactly what happened. Have them offer up suggestions to what you should do and see what they say. Just be nice and tell them you don't want your phone falling apart in a couple weeks because it was improperly repaired or missing a screw. Above all, be nice, genuine, and respectful. You'd be surprised what people will do for these qualities.
    This happened to me last week, at sprint offering I replaced the phone. The screw from what I understand is what holds the slider in place. And in time this will cause or increase the "oreo" affect.
  4.    #4  
    Boggs - did they make a quick determination or did they actually work on the phone?

I've never really had problems returning phones and all, and it's always been a situation in which they've been like "Ok, want it sent here or your house?" but just a bit concerned about someone just saying that they "fixed" it and let me go on my merry way as I can't see what they have done.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Before taking it in, I would think about your Pre. I doubt it wants to be separated from its screw. Maybe give the screw up for adoption???
    I kept on trying to use protection but you know those things aren't 100% effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
    Weird incident last night - I was about to use the phone so I open the slider and felt a bit of resistance then heard a small crunch.

Thought it was weird, so I went ahead and closed it up, and opened the phone again, and a small silver phillips screw ends up in the palm of my hand.

I immediately took off the battery cover and it wasn't one of those black hex screws on the back, so I decide to remove the battery itself and see if there's anything back there. I was able to see a screw that matched the one that popped out but no empty holes.

My guess is that it is something internal, judging by the way it came out (through the gap between the top and the keyboard while open.) My first thought is to go to a Sprint Store but I have a feeling that they'll just chuck the screw and say that they repaired it.

Should I angle hard for a replacement, or just forget about it?
    »corny joke«
    Sounds like u've got a screw loose.
    »/end corny joke«
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    it happened to me... took it to sprint .. they would NOT fix it and they made me go through insurance because the phone eventually came apart.

GOOD LUCK .. :O/
    Boggs - did they make a quick determination or did they actually work on the phone?

I've never really had problems returning phones and all, and it's always been a situation in which they've been like "Ok, want it sent here or your house?" but just a bit concerned about someone just saying that they "fixed" it and let me go on my merry way as I can't see what they have done.

They just saw the screw and said we will order another.

Sorry I was goofing off else were. FYI to all I used to work in the cell phone industry and might again very soon. If you ever...need to swap a phone just say "it reboots a few times a day for no reason" and 99% they will replace it. Don't abuse this but I have with my pre when the usb cover fell off. I hated my phone with it gone.
    Last edited by Boggs3010; 11/17/2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added
    I kept on trying to use protection but you know those things aren't 100% effective.
    I think Seidio has a condom ... err ... case that helps with protection. Wait. What??? I blacked out. What are we talking about again?

You know, funny thing is, I know quite a few people (myself included) that refer to those rubbery cases as phone condoms. The irony is pretty funny.
  10.    #10  
    Took it to a repair center and they put the screw back in.

The resistance is now back - it slid better without the screw in. It's not a smooth opening - it catches itself and then I have to apply more force to open the slider.

I am on the phone with them and they're already giving me **** about it.
  11.    #11  
    Now I'm heading to another Sprint store. Wish me luck.
    Now I'm heading to another Sprint store. Wish me luck.
    Luck
  13.    #13  
    Just got back from a corporate store - she said that company policy is not to operate on Pre - and that the third-party store is responsible for replacement. I have a printout of the report and am driving to that store now. The cause? Overtightening of the screws making the slider stick.

off to raise hell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    If you ever...need to swap a phone just say "it reboots a few times a day for no reason" and 99% they will replace it.
    This works more often than you would think, i did it and got a new phone, i wonder what they do with all the dead pre's ...
  15.    #15  
    Well, here we go -

On the way BACK to the third-party store, I decide to call Tech Support. On the phone for about 20 minutes, and their resolution was that since I had done 3 Pre swaps, I was no longer eligible for a replacement. I had to basically go into the third-party store, have them replace it, or take it to the corporate store and have them fix it, and if they won't, then they would have to replace it.

I tried option A and the third-party store manager just went ahead and told me that they fixed it, and I left, and that was that.

I walked out, and then at this time it is already dark, so I call the corporate store. And that is where I noticed that there was a bit of light coming out of my keyboard. Yes - they warped the keyboard when they overtightened the screws on the Pre. At this point I said screw it and made the call to the corporate store, in which they said that they would issue me a replacement "for my troubles."

Moral of the story - deal with corporate stores. Lesson learned.
  16.    #16  
    Got my replacement, put a skin on it, got everything ported over and BAM, the microphone doesn't work.

I sound like I'm in a cave.

Going to Sprint Store, hopefully to get a replacement.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Weird incident last night..... my pre gave birth to a screw.
    Wow, that is weird. Pre giving birth------>screw.

Isn't the order usually: Screw----->giving birth

Sounds PREtty messed up to me.
  18.    #18  
    Ironically enough, right before I deactivated it, crunch and it fell out again. I now have a lasting reminder.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Maybe you shouldn't have broken your USB port cover in the first place...
    the word irony is getting raped in here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast