Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    If you have a Ford vehicle with the Sync system and a Pre and have not already paired the two together...You are missing out!

I just recently decided to pair my wife's Pre with her Ford Edge after a couple months of procrastination. I was plesantly suprised to see that the Pre automatically re-connects to Sync without having to confirm on the phone each time (as her old phone required). Additionally, all incoming and outgoing calls work seamlessly.

The best surprise of all is that music stored on the Pre can play through Sync wirelessly (bluetooth) and be controlled via the Sync voice recognition system. Basically, she can enter the car with her phone in her pocket or purse and make calls and listen to mp3's without ever having to take the phone out! The only thing she can't do is have the Sync read incoming texts or compose and send texts, although Sync does support that feature. Perhaps that will be available with a future Palm Pre update (not holding my breath!).
    sounds really cool... wish they had that on other vehicles, does anyone know other vehicles that can do this? list and confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by bassaway View Post
    If you have a Ford vehicle with the Sync system and a Pre and have not already paired the two together...You are missing out!

I just recently decided to pair my wife's Pre with her Ford Edge after a couple months of procrastination. I was plesantly suprised to see that the Pre automatically re-connects to Sync without having to confirm on the phone each time (as her old phone required). Additionally, all incoming and outgoing calls work seamlessly.

The best surprise of all is that music stored on the Pre can play through Sync wirelessly (bluetooth) and be controlled via the Sync voice recognition system. Basically, she can enter the car with her phone in her pocket or purse and make calls and listen to mp3's without ever having to take the phone out! The only thing she can't do is have the Sync read incoming texts or compose and send texts, although Sync does support that feature. Perhaps that will be available with a future Palm Pre update (not holding my breath!).
    Works just fine with my Fusion as well. Pandora sounds great through bluetooth audio and the calls sound good as well. The only I can't seem to get to work is the text display, but it didn't work for my old pearl as well.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by robbskittles View Post
    sounds really cool... wish they had that on other vehicles, does anyone know other vehicles that can do this? list and confirm?
    Fords and Lincolns.
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    Fords and Lincolns.
    And Mercury.
  6. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Awesome! We are getting a Ford Edge in a week or so. Can't wait to try this out! Our current Jeeps are from 2000 and 1994 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassaway View Post
    And Mercury.
    Yea, but who buys those anymore. ;-) lol
    Kingdom of Heaven
    I just wish I could get a system retrofitted to my '07 Mazda CX-9 (was once in the Ford family).
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    It is for this very reason that my next car will likely be a Ford. Sync is so badass. 8^D Pair this with a Touchstone mounted in the car and you have a recipe for car/mobile phone nirvana.
    Last edited by mastercko; 11/17/2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercko View Post
    It is for this very reason that my next car will likely be a Ford. Sync is so badass. 8^D Pair this with a Touchstone mounted in the car and you have a recipe for car/mobile phone nirvana.
    Not to mention they did not take the bail out money. Unlike some other car makers we know! cough... cough...
    Cool! I've got a Mustang this week. Is there a quick way to setup the sync?
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    Cool! I've got a Mustang this week. Is there a quick way to setup the sync?
    Hit the phone button on your steering wheel/dash. Than hit Menu. Go to "Add a Device". Hit OK button until it says "SYNC" on the radio and the speakers play "Find Sync on your Device." Hit Add Device on the bluetooth prefs screen on your Pre. Enter the password on the radio of the Ford. Phone connected. Go through the menu real quick and download phone yes/no, 911 assist yes/no etc.

For music, press the Aux button on your radio until you get to "Sync Line In" or something with sync. Press Menu to get to the Media Menu. Press the arrow button until you get to "Select Source." Press over arrow until you get to "Bluetooth stream." Then click OK on "xxxx'x Palm Pre".

Open Pandora/Sprint Nav and enjoy the AWESOMENESS.

I hate Fords, but I have been doing that for a LONG time now when I am working with them, just about every day.

GM Bluetooth currently only supports phone, not music. Have to use the AUX jack.

Nissan bluetooth worked, but I can't remember if music worked or not. Same with dodge. For my older Jeep, a T505 Motorola came to the rescue and works AWESOME compared to my Stilletto 2 Sirius with an FM Modulator connected right to the radio.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this. The bluetooth stream no long plays the text message or alert tones over the radio like it used to. You have to keep checking your phone for messages. Also, SOME Fords have to be reconnected and Pandora restarted after taking a phone call. Not sure if those are older Fords that just need a firmware update or what, but it only happens on some and not on others. After you end the call on those vehicles, the phone/media stream stays connected, but nothing will play through the radio at all until you turn off radio, turn it back on, and restart bluetooth on Pre post phone call. This happens to probably less than 10-15% of the Fords I have connected my Pre to (almost 1 a day for the last 3-4 months).
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I think I am the only person in the world whos pre hates his Ford Sync. The phone part sounds and works very well but my music sounds terrible. It sounds like there is static in the front channels and it clips/high frequences sound really bad like cymbols, etc. I am beginning to think I have something wrong with my actual Sync system, but the funny thing is my friends Iphone works fine. I have a 2010 Focus with the newest sync updates.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTMat View Post
    I think I am the only person in the world whos pre hates his Ford Sync. The phone part sounds and works very well but my music sounds terrible. It sounds like there is static in the front channels and it clips/high frequences sound really bad like cymbols, etc. I am beginning to think I have something wrong with my actual Sync system, but the funny thing is my friends Iphone works fine. I have a 2010 Focus with the newest sync updates.

Definitely a problem with your phone or your vehicle. I was using a 2010 Focus the other day to play music and shuttle myself around in. I usually play music around 90% volume and leave the doors open, so I don't have to keep moving the vehicle as I move Even with it being bluetooth and right next to max volume, the speakers still didn't get too distorted (yea, there was loss and distortion, but not the way TNTMat described).
    I have an 07 Dodge Nitro and upgraded to the MyGig nav system earlier this year. My Pre also syncs flawlesly. Anytime I get a phone call it cuts out the music or navigation and I just press the button to answer. Also, I just put a Touchstone in, using Palms car charger. I download all my music to the Pre now via Amazon (which works over-the-air for me, I originally thought it was only suppose to work over Wifi?!) This is sweet because then I unplug the USB that goes to the Touchstone, and plug it into the Pre and MyGig. 30 seconds later I have my new songs on the MyGig's 30 GB hard drive. AWESOME!
    Any idea why the Pre won't stay discoverable (or a way to fix it). Trying to help a friend with a Fusion with the first-gen Sync, but his phone kicks out of discoverable mode and the car can't find it.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Definitely a problem with your phone or your vehicle. I was using a 2010 Focus the other day to play music and shuttle myself around in. I usually play music around 90% volume and leave the doors open, so I don't have to keep moving the vehicle as I move Even with it being bluetooth and right next to max volume, the speakers still didn't get too distorted (yea, there was loss and distortion, but not the way TNTMat described).
    Weird thing is, I already swapped my phone out, and my friends IPhone works flawlessly in my car..Maybe I got two bad phones in a row? ( wouldnt surprise me as my luck runs that way)
    Most Nissan products with the radio head unit upgrade, i.e. Bose unit, will have Bluetooth that should sync the Pre and download your contacts for voice recognition without a problem. A few Nissan's have the Streaming Bluetooth capability for playing your stored tunes wirelessly also. Those that don't stream will have either a USB or auxilary port.
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Out of curiosity, how is it considered flawlessly when one of the big features of the Sync system is to be able to pick songs/artists by voice command and the only way that would work on the Pre would be to disable the phone and connect it via USB?

You might as well have any other A2DP system in the car other than the fact that you can say "next track" out loud or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, Sync is neat, but I just wouldn't call this flawlessly at all. For that, you'd need to connect via USB.
    Two good reasons to buy a Ford: they're not owned by the feds, and Sync. Unfortunately, I can't quite afford a Taurus SHO, and with kids I can't swing a Mustang GT.

Anybody know how the Pre syncs with a G37? Picking one up this afternoon...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast