webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Full hotmail in the web browser.
Full hotmail in the web browser.

Old 11/17/2009, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

I've done a search and I can't find an answer. I want the web browser to display the full hotmail site. Not the mobile version. I need to access the folders I've created. Is there a way to make my pre show the full site?
SnappedandgotaPre#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know about the full site, but the mobile version I see - http://mail.live.com/m - allows me access to all folders, even junk.

The "Folders" link is at the bottom of the page.
Spader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

First, thanks for the quick reply. I can open my folders, but I cant access any files that may be attached to emails stored in there. Is there any way to do that?
Old 11/17/2009, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bump
Old 11/17/2009, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had this issue with pictures and attachments not appearing on the mobile Hotmail site too. I had to get around it by forwarding the email to my gmail which I can access with the mail app... but it's a total pain.
youngjediboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Why not just skip a step and forward email to gmail? (which is 100x better imo)
Bodgingbrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes yes, I've heard that a million times and I agree. I also use Gmail (regular gmail plus the Google apps version for business) but I've had that hotmail account for a long time which I use to keep in touch with most of my personal contacts AND it's the email I use with the networking sites, forums, etc so it would just be a total pain to have to switch to a new email address just because the Pre doesn't seem to play well with it. (I have another thread in the webOS forum about hotmail having a new issue in the mail app since the 1.3.1 update)
Old 11/17/2009, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

just type in MSN.com, click on hotmail, enter UN and PW, and your there, just as if you were on your PC.
Gator352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

That doesn't seem to work...
When going to msn.com it'll go to the desktop version of the site, which is fine, but when clicking on Hotmail from there, it'll still automatically go to the mobile version. I also don't see any link or setting from the mobile version to be able to switch it back to the desktop version.
Old 11/17/2009, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjediboy View Post
That doesn't seem to work...
When going to msn.com it'll go to the desktop version of the site, which is fine, but when clicking on Hotmail from there, it'll still automatically go to the mobile version. I also don't see any link or setting from the mobile version to be able to switch it back to the desktop version.
I tried the same thing also. I've used my hotmail account for years. I have files saved to folders there that i access a lot. I was just hoping someone had figured out a workaround for this problem.
Old 11/17/2009, 04:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Just wondering...is it possible to access all your hotmail folders using the default mail app on webos? I can do this with yahoo and gmail, but why not on hotmail?

Current device: Palm Pre
Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Gaurav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Nope. The default email app doesn't show any folder I've created.
Old 11/17/2009, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappedandgotaPre View Post
Nope. The default email app doesn't show any folder I've created.
Okay...so I did a little research regarding this and found out that the reason for the lack of folder syncing for hotmail is because the webos mail client accesses hotmail servers via pop3 only!! I searched all over and apparently hotmail does not support IMAP to access hotmail which would be necessary for folder sync. The best solution for this is to use a mail service that supports IMAP like fastmail or Izymail to access your hotmail.

https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/personal.html

IzyMail - WebMail in your Inbox

They both offer free versions of their service. I currently use fastmail.fm myself to access various hotmail accounts on my Pre. The service doesn't automatically copy the root folders in hotmail but your can setup filters to move emails to custom folders yourself on your fastmail account. You can then access any email and attachments that they contain. I know this is a convoluted solution, but this is a limitation of hotmail itself and once you get all the settings figured out, the the whole setup works pretty well...

Current device: Palm Pre
Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Gaurav is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: SnappedandgotaPre
Old 11/12/2012, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
Okay...so I did a little research regarding this and found out that the reason for the lack of folder syncing for hotmail is because the webos mail client accesses hotmail servers via pop3 only!! I searched all over and apparently hotmail does not support IMAP to access hotmail which would be necessary for folder sync. The best solution for this is to use a mail service that supports IMAP like fastmail or Izymail to access your hotmail.

https://www.fastmail.fm/mail/personal.html

IzyMail - WebMail in your Inbox

They both offer free versions of their service. I currently use fastmail.fm myself to access various hotmail accounts on my Pre. The service doesn't automatically copy the root folders in hotmail but your can setup filters to move emails to custom folders yourself on your fastmail account. You can then access any email and attachments that they contain. I know this is a convoluted solution, but this is a limitation of hotmail itself and once you get all the settings figured out, the the whole setup works pretty well...
Does this allow access to your contact folder? I can't add or manage my contacts.
tbear238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 05:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

No sure if this works on the Pre, but on the Touchpad, I just change http to https and I am able to browse the full site.
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0