1.    #1  
    It just seems like this forum is plastered with separate issue threads about 1.3.1. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly or maybe it's a lack of perspective, but this seems worse than any other previous patch release.

Is this release really THAT bad or are people overreacting?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    You need to remember that many of the users on this forum are "power users" that have patches, tweaks, themes, rooted, etc. It is likely that the experiences here are NOT typical of the average consumer.

My wife's Pre has none of that stuff and we had no trouble with the update to 1.3.1.

My Pre had some patches and tweaks and I had some minor trouble that seemed to resolve itself with some time. I have many patches back on.

Neither of us run themes at all and on both phones we removed (ran EPR) everything.

For those that play with their phones (patches, tweaks, root, tether, etc.); they should understand the risks of a new OS.

Just my 2 cents
    I'm a really new user and I had no problems with the upgrade but like the previous poster those who had a lot of patches and themes and stuff that really wasn't put out by as official patches/themes had problems with that.

I am so far loving my Pre (with a few exceptions 2 of which have been fixed with the update). I just need somone to sit with me and teach me how to do make ringtones since I can't find any (music ones --- country artists) to buy.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    cowgirlupkelly - not to hijack the thread. If you want to make ringtones from music you own, there are a couple of websites that do that very well. You upload the song, select the portion you want to be a ringone, select the file format, etc. Save to your computer and place in the ringtones folder of your pre.

That's it. PM me if you need a website and any additional help. It really is very easy to do. Good luck.
  5.    #5  
    I don't think patching has anything to do with the oft-reported "tapping" issue or battery drains or messaging login issues or several other of these problems drifting around the forums.
    I don't know how to PM on this website yet. But yes I'd like some more info on the ringtone (and no I don't wanna hijack the thread either0>
    This should be in the watercooler.
    I don't patch or tweak either and my only issue was the battry drain at the time. However, it looks like my battery has been stable for the most part today. I am at 91% right now and at this time yesterday I was at about 80%. It has been getting better with each passing day. Also, the phone does still seem faster.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Update was ok for me EXCEPT Homebrew doesn't load apps on my phone or my buddies and this has been since we updated. I even un-installed filecoaster and re-installed it, still apps won't load. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    Update was ok for me EXCEPT Homebrew doesn't load apps on my phone or my buddies and this has been since we updated. I even un-installed filecoaster and re-installed it, still apps won't load. Any ideas?
    From what I have been able to read on these boards is 1.3.1 has broken filecoaster. Keep your eyes peeled for an update from them.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    If I remember correctly, it was very similar right after the 1.20 upgrade of a lot of small problems, then it died down, then the 1.21 got released to fix the most egregious problem (the exchange sync problem).
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    As great as patching is, it is also the number 1 reason for causing problems after updates. Some people refuse to remove all of the patches and themes and then there are others that try to but for one reason or another, the patches do not completely remove. So the majority of the problems after updates are, and for the forseable future, will always be patches.

There are, however, legitamite problems as with any kind of update. I do not recall any upgrades/updates for software for anything that have not caused new problems. Porblem is that some of the issues that crop up are not always the same for everyone. In my case, the battery has been the big problem but not everyone seems to be having this issue. On that same note, I didn't have any battery problems when I upgraded to 1.2.1 but others did. Wierd.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It just seems like this forum is plastered with separate issue threads about 1.3.1. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly or maybe it's a lack of perspective, but this seems worse than any other previous patch release.

1) For some then Yes it is that bad.

2) What exactly SHOULD people be talking about that's interesting in the WebOS world? Mediocre Apps? Featureless Updates? The Pre's cute but crippled baby brother?

As much as we may like the phone, it's possible that Palm blew its opportunity to be relevant and we have to admit that Palm is the Van Damme of Smartphones. It came in kicking bass, but in the end then the consumer still preferred Schwarzenneger and Stallone.

I still find WebOS to be the best OS out there, but they went from being innovators to playing catch-up in a very short amount of time and for both Palm and it's users then it's a real shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

I think a little of both. For instance, I've seen several threads for Yahoo, some for AIM, some for messaging in general, and all of them are the same issue. Makes it look like it's worse than it is.

Truth is, if you pull patches out of the picture, even that fix is relatively simple. Readding all the tweaks is the only real pain, and it's not that bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    1) For some then Yes it is that bad.

2) What exactly SHOULD people be talking about that's interesting in the WebOS world? Mediocre Apps? Featureless Updates? The Pre's cute but crippled baby brother?

As much as we may like the phone, it's possible that Palm blew its opportunity to be relevant and we have to admit that Palm is the Van Damme of Smartphones. It came in kicking bass, but in the end then the consumer still preferred Schwarzenneger and Stallone.

I still find WebOS to be the best OS out there, but they went from being innovators to playing catch-up in a very short amount of time and for both Palm and it's users then it's a real shame.
    I think it's sad that someone attempts to turn a legitmate question about an update into another boring, senseless about rant about Palm's "blown relevancy"
    1.3.1 issues on the Pre have nothing to do with the Pixi, relevancy in the market, or VanDamme Schwarzenneger or Stallone.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I had the same issue with filecoaster, I loaded up preware and am able to view select and download all homebrew apps once again. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    You need to remember that many of the users on this forum are "power users" that have patches, tweaks, themes, rooted, etc. It is likely that the experiences here are NOT typical of the average consumer.
    For those that play with their phones (patches, tweaks, root, tether, etc.); they should understand the risks of a new OS.
    You're calling them "power users" in one paragraph, then imply that they are newbs. Maybe we should change the definition to "aspiring power users"?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    IMO, problems with 1.3.1 is more indicative of Palm having to support the doomed Pixie. Just another reason why the pixie shouldn't have seen daylight.
    That's why he used "quotes". I'm pretty sure that most of the problems with patches come from people not reading entirely what they should be doing regarding patching. Same thing with torrents now, my parents download stuff from torrents, but god forbid they get asked on how it works.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    While I was waiting my lovely 3 hours for my Prefurb to be activated I saw at least 5 people come in with jacked up Pre's after they ran the 1.3.1 update. One would just load the boot screen and nothing more, another caused the persons battery to hold a 100% charge for no more than 2 hours before it was dead, and the others were just bricked in general. Even the rep at Sprint said he was hating the 1.3.1 update because it was causing more harm then it did good. Not a good sign when the guy who is supposed to promote and support the phone is saying bad things about it.