Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After spending days and days reading the plethera of posts/issues/problems people seem to be encountering with this update and for not any real WOW factor additions, I am really more and more inclined to keep it OFF my Pre, that is now running just the way I like (well other than missing key things that would still be missing)

So, here is my question(s)

IF you did update to 1.3.1, are you happy you did OR Wish you had not?

IF you have not, are you still planning to?

Just trying to get a bead on how this very influential community is reacting to this update

Thanks for anyone who answers!

(Sorry for dupe post, this and the Poll, I had tried to delete this and just have the poll, but got a response before I was able to)
    Last edited by dianehelen; 11/17/2009 at 09:10 AM.
    I am very happy with 1.31. Many improvements and the device is a little faster. The Calendar and email apps seem to have the biggest speed improvements but across the board it was an improvement.

If you really read into things the only people who are having problems are those that did not remove their patches and themes before upgrading. Some were stupid and did not read the instructions. Some were too lazy and thought things might work out. Others did remove everything but some of the patches were poorly written and did not uninstall correctly. People need to realize that patches are essentially hacks and are only as good as the person that wrote them. There are no guarantees and nobody to blame but themselves.

I should also mention that some Yahoo users are also having issues and those I think are actually Palm's fault for not doing more testing. I'm sure there will be a bug fix release for Yahoo synergy very soon.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #3  
    @rc 46 thanks for a good intelligent honest answer.

I am still considering waiting for the next round.. but thanks for your input
    My experience basically mirrors that of rc46. Calendar and Camera/Pictures apps is where I see the most improvements.

I also agree that most of the issues seems to be with those that didn't follow the warnings to remove patches before upgrading.

I'd say take the plunge. Download the 1.2.1 webOS doctor just in case you have issues.
    Definitely a yes. Some highlights of issues this update resolved for me:

1) google contacts now syncs to "My Contacts" and not the auto-generated All Contacts.
    2) You can now jump to any location in a video stream without the video player hanging
    3) google calendar sync issues seem to be resolved.
    4) ability to set lock timeout to something other than when the screen blanks
    5) empty trash in email
    6) overall networking seems to be improved. IMAP Idle seems to work a lot better than it did as well. Wifi will stay up when the phone is in standby now (if you turn off phone data).
    7) photo app is much faster, and they removed the "all" collection.

Many more, but those came straight to mind.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Phone feels great, the UI speed has improved overall and it definitely was worth the upgrade. No issues so far!

I have never patched or themed my Pre either ... so that could be somehow related to my great experience with 1.3.1
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    There was a bug where if Pandora (or possibly other streaming media) was paused and the card left open, the battery would drain really fast (20% or more per hour) I use Pandora on and off all day and don't usually throw away the card so I really noticed the drain prior to the update.

Yesterday I left Pandora opened and paused for at least 9 hours and my battery was still at 40%. Quite an improvement from what I am used to which is swapping batteries after four or six hours.

Besides the streaming issue being fixed, I really love not having to enter my pin every time I unlock the phone. I used the homebrew app nodoze a lot to get around this previously. Now I just have the lock time set to 1/2 hour which generally means I only have to enter my pin a few times a day instead of many times a day.
    I have had absolutely no problem with the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    There was a bug where if Pandora (or possibly other streaming media) was paused and the card left open, the battery would drain really fast (20% or more per hour) I use Pandora on and off all day and don't usually throw away the card so I really noticed the drain prior to the update.

Yesterday I left Pandora opened and paused for at least 9 hours and my battery was still at 40%. Quite an improvement from what I am used to which is swapping batteries after four or six hours.
    This is the first time I've heard this and definitely something that makes me consider updating my Pre. I've been avoiding cause some of the more annoying changes like the way sounds work now. But the streaming thing being fixed makes it worth it!

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    After spending days and days reading the plethera of posts/issues/problems people seem to be encountering with this update and for not any real WOW factor additions, I am really more and more inclined to keep it OFF my Pre, that is now running just the way I like (well other than missing key things that would still be missing)

So, here is my question(s)

IF you did update to 1.3.1, are you happy you did OR Wish you had not?

IF you have not, are you still planning to?

Just trying to get a bead on how this very influential community is reacting to this update

Thanks for anyone who answers!

(Sorry for dupe post, this and the Poll, I had tried to delete this and just have the poll, but got a response before I was able to)
    It's my understanding that its not really up to you..eventually the "system" will automatically download to your phone and install it.
    Yes improvements(speed, photo, cal, etc) but with some uninprovments just I cant STAND.

With links you now have to hit it dead on or hit and hold for a second otherwise many times it will look like it click but the pre thinks you didn't mean to to that.
    This obviously should be an option in preferences. "advanded user option" or something.

The Sprint Nav voice is fragmented.

Battery life is worse and I don't even use aim or yahoo anything. (4.34% batt loss per hr, was in mid 2's)
    Upgraded here. Have about no themes, but around 30 patches installed (only through Preware now though I still love WebOS QI too!!) and I have no problems to report.

Followed the instructions available many places here as well as at WebOS Internals and it came off without a hitch. Jump in. As DocHemi indicated, it will eventually be downloaded for you and installed after several warnings -- better to do it on your terms (especially if you have Themes / Patches).
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    It's my understanding that its not really up to you..eventually the "system" will automatically download to your phone and install it.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean to make it seem like 1.3.1 is a step backwards as well is sad. 1.3.1 is probably, no it is the best update they have sent out out of all of them I mean forward text, Youtube links on the browser now, Yahoo! Synergy, Improved speed for Email, Photo and Music Player and changed UI for Photo App. I mean this Update is great and I already have tweaks on it as well so it's perfect now.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex1080p View Post
    that's exactly what i was thinking. I mean to make it seem like 1.3.1 is a step backwards as well is sad. 1.3.1 is probably, no it is the best update they have sent out out of all of them i mean forward text, youtube links on the browser now, yahoo! Synergy, improved speed for email, photo and music player and changed ui for photo app. I mean this update is great and i already have tweaks on it as well so it's perfect now.
    hehe thanks for confirming that im not an ***** lol :d
    Last edited by DocHemi; 11/17/2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
    I personally like 1.3.1 (I was having the battery issue, but it seems to have resolved itself.) the phone feels faster, and just seems to run better overall.

Also, I don't think you can skip updates. I believe after about a week or 10 days the phone downloads the update automatically anyway.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    I did update after carefully removing all the patches etc. Everything was fine and the UI seemed slightly snappier all around. And now there's a facebook app (IMHO lite.facebook.com still works better). I didn't play with it that much because...

1.3.1 has somehow broken my ability to connect to my work IMAP email server. A few other people are having this problem. Here is one of the threads. I can connect to other IMAP mail servers just fine so what's broken is somehow specific to a small set of mail servers. I used webOS doctor to roll back to 1.2.1 and I'm sticking with it until this is addressed or I figure out a work-around.

SO! If you have an IMAP email which uses SSL, 1.3.1 might not be able to connect to it. Otherwise 1.3.1 seems fine. I'm disappointed that the pdf viewer wasn't fixed (no rotation? title bar obscures search bar?) and few of the other (seemingly) easily patchable things were addressed.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Wish I had not. Problem with filecoaster. NO tweaks, no preware
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    Erm... webOS Quick Install?
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    I was able to reinstall preware immediately after the update. I even re-installed some patches before I figured out that my email was broken.
    I had major problems with all of the messaging. No messaging clients (the old AIM, now Yahoo and Gmail) would connect except for text messaing. I had installed several tweaks, including the messaging mod; but had uninstalled them all. After talking with JHoff80, I followed his advice, removed my backup, doctored back to 1.2.1, and started all over with no mods. Updated to 1.3.1, then all was well. Applied the other tweaks I wanted, and everything is still working fine.

Had I known this was going to happen, I still would have updated, I just would have not bothered trying to do without doctoring.

Personally, I think everyone needs to face up to the notion that updates are really "have-to's". There are undoubtedly underpinnings done to the OS that are going to be used for future uses. Yes, if you put it off now and wait until the next OS, you can get by. However, if you do that, when you update you will still have the current problems, puls the new problems (if there are any). Better to tackle 'em as they come, in my opinion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast