Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I am very happy with 1.31. Many improvements and the device is a little faster. The Calendar and email apps seem to have the biggest speed improvements but across the board it was an improvement.

If you really read into things the only people who are having problems are those that did not remove their patches and themes before upgrading. Some were stupid and did not read the instructions. Some were too lazy and thought things might work out. Others did remove everything but some of the patches were poorly written and did not uninstall correctly. People need to realize that patches are essentially hacks and are only as good as the person that wrote them. There are no guarantees and nobody to blame but themselves.

I should also mention that some Yahoo users are also having issues and those I think are actually Palm's fault for not doing more testing. I'm sure there will be a bug fix release for Yahoo synergy very soon.
    +1

The only strange issue I had was that any ringtones I set for individual contacts were cleared out (the general ringtone remained unchanged).

Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Yes improvements(speed, photo, cal, etc) but with some uninprovments just I cant STAND.

With links you now have to hit it dead on or hit and hold for a second otherwise many times it will look like it click but the pre thinks you didn't mean to to that.
    This obviously should be an option in preferences. "advanded user option" or something.

The Sprint Nav voice is fragmented.

Battery life is worse and I don't even use aim or yahoo anything. (4.34% batt loss per hr, was in mid 2's)
    After getting 1.3.1 and adding Yahoo, it set my Yahoo email account to "As items arrive" under the "Get Mail" setting in account preferences. This wears the battery down quite a bit (especially if your other accounts do this as well). Change it to a different setting and you'll probably see some improvement...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    IF you did update to 1.3.1, are you happy you did OR Wish you had not?
    My update went without a hitch and I got a handful of nice new useful features/improvements (not to mention the possible Flash plug-in in a couple of weeks) ... so, yeah, I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with it

But I can't believe they didn't address the app limit at all ... that's a surprise and a bummer
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Personally, I think everyone needs to face up to the notion that updates are really "have-to's". There are undoubtedly underpinnings done to the OS that are going to be used for future uses. Yes, if you put it off now and wait until the next OS, you can get by. However, if you do that, when you update you will still have the current problems, puls the new problems (if there are any). Better to tackle 'em as they come, in my opinion.
    I agree. In this case the OS seems to be the problem and the email issue with 1.3.1 is game-breaking for me. I'm hoping that there will be an update that fixes the IMAP problem. 1.3.2 maybe. If that happens, I have no problem updating. Until then I'm going to keep my webOS doctor 1.2.1 file handy.
    All I can say is it took a great deal more time than I had anticipated to get the phone back to where I want it, complete with HB and patches. Now, I had to web doctor first due to some patch remains from a previous partial erase that tech support helped me with (not!) so that contributed. But updating and then re-adding everything, fixing email, contacts and memos, and waiting till the battery drain calmed down happened over days for me, not minutes.

That said, I'd do it again. The Pre is much snappier on my end and after the initial cycling, battery life seems much improved. I don't use Facebook or Yahoo!, so I can't comment on if those are actual improvements. I would suggest that you have *everything* backed up to something other than your Palm Profile when you do update, because I experienced and have read that many others experienced a total fail with the Palm profile.

P.S. I've also disabled the UpdateDaemon again, after the update, because I've read of so many misadventures with this update that I can't help but suspect Palm may push another one soon.
    Last edited by McKathryn; 11/17/2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Post Script
    I had upgraded but had a problem due to the IM patch so I just downgraded back to 1.2.1 and reupgraded and things are very fast and everything works well. I really think my days of hacking the Pre are over as its now stable and very fast.

I would blame your hacks and patches before I blame the new OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    It's my understanding that its not really up to you..eventually the "system" will automatically download to your phone and install it.

Its not difficult to disable the update daemon to prevent your Pre from checking your version against Palm. If you do you can sit on what ever Version you want for as long as you want. So not updating is an option....why anyone would want to do that IDK, but it is possible. Directions can be found here or at webos-internals.org.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I think a good reason to wait on an update is to be able to do exactly what dianehelen is doing: to wait and see what kind of problems arise from the update before actually doing it yourself. I do the same thing with new patches and tweaks: wait a little bit to hear how things are going with them, before adding them myself. It's just an option.

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Its not difficult to disable the update daemon to prevent your Pre from checking your version against Palm. If you do you can sit on what ever Version you want for as long as you want. So not updating is an option....why anyone would want to do that IDK, but it is possible. Directions can be found here or at webos-internals.org.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post

But I can't believe they didn't address the app limit at all ... that's a surprise and a bummer
    I agree. That should have been at the top of Palm's list. Hopefully it will be addressed in the next update.

Yes I know there is a patch just feel its something Palm should do.

Other than that I have had no issues with my Pre since the update. I love finally getting the option to forward texts and photo app is so much snappier.
    Last edited by RacerX10; 11/17/2009 at 02:54 PM.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    It's my understanding that its not really up to you..eventually the "system" will automatically download to your phone and install it.
    Ummmm nope, disabled the update daemon to prevent it from automatically updating. I did that as a fix to the issue of it trying to constantly trying to update to 1.2.1 after it already had.

So for me, right now its a matter of reversing that to let it update, or wait till I feel its worth it, or more stable
    Last edited by dianehelen; 11/17/2009 at 02:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eightdrunkengods View Post
    SO! If you have an IMAP email which uses SSL, 1.3.1 might not be able to connect to it.
    Are you using a self-signed certificate?

-n8
    For me 1.3.1 has been pretty good, the one thing that changed that IMO shouldn't have was the Ringtone System Volume being tied to the Ringtone Volume. Now my email alerts etc are as loud as my ringer......
    Things seem faster, but I wish I would have waited until the porting of the patches was complete.

I had no issues though other than that. If your patches your using are available then I would go ahead and apply the emergency patch to erase any patches on your pre, do a restart then install 1.3.1.
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
    Slightly off topic, I'm still hoping soon to have a "full backup/restore" app for my Pre. I would feel a lot more comfortable, not only with updates, but with "playing" with trying things on the device...
    Was really painless for me. Was going to wait because I had a bunch of tweaks, but decided to kill some time and downloaded the update over EVDO, and used the EPR, then applied. No issues... Opened PreWare, reinstalled my tweaks, theme, and I had what was almost the same phone with the new update.

I do notice it's faster (photos and calendar for sure, contacts too), and the battery seems to last longer (but that may be perception). There is other functionality that was added (like Yahoo IM and Yahoo mail) but I don't use it a whole lot.

Worth it? Umm, yeah. Not earth shattering, but was easy enough to get some improvements.
    I am having a few bugs with 1.3.1, but it fixed some others. On the whole I'd say I'm glad I updated. Bugs I'm experiencing with 1.3.1:
    1. Screen is in "night" mode while on the Touchstone during the day. Multiple users are reporting this, not just me.
    2. EAS appointments originating from my Pre do not show up in Outlook. Can modify existing appointments from my Pre and those changes do show up.
    3. .jpg attachments cannot be opened by tapping on the attachment bar when the email comes from some email clients.
    4. My Tether is broken at the moment, though a fix is coming soon. This is not really a Palm bug (though I suspect they broke it on purpose), but it is effectively a bug for me.

Still, it appears to me that memory management has improved. I can now leave a browser card open all day without issues. That alone is worth two or three bugs to me, and of course there are the other improvements people have mentioned.

So I say go for it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Ummmm nope, disabled the update daemon to prevent it from automatically updating. I did that as a fix to the issue of it trying to constantly trying to update to 1.2.1 after it already had.

So for me, right now its a matter of reversing that to let it update, or wait till I feel its worth it, or more stable
    Ok I stand corrected
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eightdrunkengods View Post
    I was able to reinstall preware immediately after the update. I even re-installed some patches before I figured out that my email was broken.
    I just had filecoaster. When I tap on homebre list, it just keeps trying to load apps. My buddies phone does the same. Makes me a little apprehensive to install Preware. Also, one of the homebrew app doesn't work right after 1.3.1. I dl Deadman, I can play the first word, on the second one, the screen just goes black. After reading all the concerns about Preware ect after update, I don't know what to do. Install or not
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Yes improvements(speed, photo, cal, etc) but with some uninprovments just I cant STAND.

With links you now have to hit it dead on or hit and hold for a second otherwise many times it will look like it click but the pre thinks you didn't mean to to that.
    This obviously should be an option in preferences. "advanded user option" or something.

The Sprint Nav voice is fragmented.

Battery life is worse and I don't even use aim or yahoo anything. (4.34% batt loss per hr, was in mid 2's)
    I have the exact same issues that you do as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Are you using a self-signed certificate?

-n8
    No it's GlobalSign.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12