1.    #1  
    If you haven't updated to webOS version 1.3.1 yet because of patch issues, this might shed some light. I was extremely leery of updating to 1.3.1 until I knew for sure that my installed patches would not be a problem. I scoured the forums looking for the best way to clean my Pre up short of using webOS doctor or doing any sort of device erase. I kept finding people having the same or similar problems. Either patches wouldn't uninstall or they appeared to have uninstalled yet continued to perform.

Well, I had easily over 10 patches plus a theme installed. After uninstalling each patch one by one, it appeared as if they were all removed. However, LED notifications still continued to blink, and I still had the modified 4 launcher pages present instead of the stock 3 pages. Not being good enough for me, I re-installed "blink notifications" and "enable add/delete launcher pages." I then went in to screen and lock, and disabled blink notifications. In the launcher menu, I deleted the 4th custom page. I then re-uninstalled both of the patches. Voila! No more evidence of patches installed. I uninstalled my theme, and went ahead and updated to 1.3.1. Everything went smoothly. I re-installed each one of my patches and my theme, and everything has been working fine, going on 12 hours now.

So I'm not sure if this process of complete patch removal is only pertinent to these particular patches, but I would bet it applies to other ones as well. If you are having problems with your patches still running after un-installation, yet it is appearing as if no patches are installed, I would re-install them, and disable the patch if applicable. Then uninstall it again. I hope this helps anyone who has been nervous about updating to 1.3.1 w/ patches still installed, or have just been having problems completely uninstalling these patches and don't want to resort to running webOS doc or partially erasing your device.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Thanks for posting your experience.

I just got my Pre 10 days ago and right away installed PreWare with the help of the hack expert at my local Sprint store. I went in with my laptop and he helped me get it in there, though the process seemed simple enough.

In preparation for 1.3.1, anxious to get the latest operating system, I went into PreWare and started removing patches. I did not have a theme installed. One by one down the list I uninstalled, then without thinking at all, I got to PreWare and removed it. DUMB!

With that gone, I could not remove anything else. I did not think about re-installing it while 1.2.1 was resident, and went ahead with the 1.3.1 update. It went well, and everything seems fine. It seems that the other patches I had installed are now gone, none of them are working, but now I cannot get back into my Pre with Quick Install in spite of following all the suggestions for doing so found on this site after 1.3.1, keeps saying no device detected.

Perhaps I have to wipe the slate clean and start over and see if that works, but will go visit the expert at the Sprint store first.

I wish I had taken a more studied approach as you have, live and learn.
  3. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Just from my experience:

I had about 18 patches and no themes - all installed via Preware. Before upgrading to 1.3.1, I simply followed the advice from the Preware folks and downloaded/ran Emergency Patch Removal via preware and rebooted. All the patches were removed although two persisted in effect (LED notifications and extra launcher pages).

Crossing my fingers, I then installed 1.3.1 without a hitch. Finally I ran Preware to pick up the 1.3.1 patch feed and reinstalled those that I wanted.

No issues whatsoever! (touch wood)
    jdod, make sure your pre is in developer mode still. the update might have reset it. Type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart in universal search (just start typing without being in an app) and it will pop up.

Oh, and are you using windows 7?
    So far, the added launcher pages and LED notification have not had any effect (I mean no issues) after the update as far as my forum lurking has noticed.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Ever since I made my update everything works except VKB obviously however, I do seem to have a problem with yahoo IM. AIM signs in just fine but when I try signing in to Yahoo IM it just freezes or hangs with the 'signing in...' message. Thoughts?
    does the patch that allows you to have sms tones for each of your contacts work with 1.3.1? that's my biggest concern :/
    why do i have a problem reloading the keyboard after running the patch recovery this is the only patch that i can't get to reload after m update????? i have ran the obsolete keyboard patch also but still get an error message when i try to dl
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    As far as I know VKB does not work yet for 1.3.1 that would be why you have a problem
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgingbrom
    jdod, make sure your pre is in developer mode still. the update might have reset it. Type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart in universal search (just start typing without being in an app) and it will pop up.

Oh, and are you using windows 7?
    Thanks, I am using XP and am in development mode.

An issue I face perhaps is that I had accessed my Pre with webOS Quick Install with 1.2.1, and using PreWare installed the dev button on my phone. During the 1.3.1 upgrade process, that got left on my phone, and remains today. It might be interfering.

Can I just run webOSDoctor and wipe the phone clean and start over?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Thanks, I am using XP and am in development mode.

An issue I face perhaps is that I had accessed my Pre with webOS Quick Install with 1.2.1, and using PreWare installed the dev button on my phone. During the 1.3.1 upgrade process, that got left on my phone, and remains today. It might be interfering.

Can I just run webOSDoctor and wipe the phone clean and start over?
    You can run Webdr but the dev button is prob not the issue.

Try this:

add/delete programs > Uninstall Novacomd

after that completes,

Webos quick install > File > options > reinstall novacomd
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    does the patch that allows you to have sms tones for each of your contacts work with 1.3.1? that's my biggest concern :/
    I could not find the sms tone per contact patch after updating to 1.3.1 in Preware either. However, if you go to webosquickinstall, tools > tweaks > online repository, and scroll down, you should see it there.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s
    Try this:

add/delete programs > Uninstall Novacomd

after that completes,

Webos quick install > File > options > reinstall novacomd
    Thank you for your assistance. I tried that, the uninstall and re-install seemed to go well, but I get the same result. I am still trying, but am getting close to WebDr I am afraid. There must be something residual in my phone from the patches installed with 1.2.1 that is blocking access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vij View Post
    Just from my experience:

I had about 18 patches and no themes - all installed via Preware. Before upgrading to 1.3.1, I simply followed the advice from the Preware folks and downloaded/ran Emergency Patch Removal via preware and rebooted. All the patches were removed although two persisted in effect (LED notifications and extra launcher pages).

Crossing my fingers, I then installed 1.3.1 without a hitch. Finally I ran Preware to pick up the 1.3.1 patch feed and reinstalled those that I wanted.

No issues whatsoever! (touch wood)
    From my experience I found EPR unreliable!! It did not successfully remove all my patches when I ran it. Instead I had to manually remove each patch individually. I recommend other users do the same imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  15. k8e
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    I could not find the sms tone per contact patch after updating to 1.3.1 in Preware either. However, if you go to webosquickinstall, tools > tweaks > online repository, and scroll down, you should see it there.
    SMS Toner per Contact did not work correctly with the update until today. Here is the link to the thread in this forum:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...t-1-3-1-a.html

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by k8e; 11/17/2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Link didn't show up