1.    #1  
    hitting the "%" key simply moves the decimal place over two spaces rather than giving me the percentage of the previous number. for example, if i type: "10+20%=", it will add 10+.2 which = 10.2, rather than 10+2=12. anyone else finding this problem and if so is there a fix?
    Umm... why not 10 X 120% ? This is not an advanced calculator.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  3.    #3  
    i know, or i could just do 10 X 1.2 . i realize there are workarounds, and i get that it is not an "advanced" calculator, but i did not realize the "%" function was considered advanced. your answer doesn't really address my question, thanks anyway.
    I don't see anything wrong with that actually.

By definition, % = 1/100 (since 100*20%=20)

Therefore:
    10 + 20%
    = 10 + 20/100
    = 10 + 1/5
    = 50/5 + 1/5
    = 51/5
    = 10.2

I think the real question is whether 10+20%=12 is correct at all (even though that's the way my current phone and Windows' calculator does it).

Woot! My first post here is a nerdy one!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J0415 View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with that actually.

By definition, % = 1/100 (since 100*20%=20)

Therefore:
    10 + 20%
    = 10 + 20/100
    = 10 + 1/5
    = 50/5 + 1/5
    = 51/5
    = 10.2

I think the real question is whether 10+20%=12 is correct at all (even though that's the way my current phone and Windows' calculator does it).

Woot! My first post here is a nerdy one!
    Way to knock it out of the park on your first post! We all expect the calculator to add 20% of 10 to $10, but mathematically, the calculator SHOULD be doing 20% of 1 (which is .2).

It's still gotta be a fault with the phone, however, as we all expect the phone to calculate the percentage. If it doesn't add it the way we expect it to, the function itself would have no value or use on a pocket calculator (if all it's doing is dividing the number preceding the function by 100).
  6.    #6  
    so much effort poured into "not" answering the question... really?
    Quote Originally Posted by trusolman View Post
    so much effort poured into "not" answering the question... really?
    See the following thread. There is a very long and somewhat detailed discussion about the calculation methods. Basically, it comes down to how things are calculated and what method it uses. Ultimately, it works correctly, just not how you are used to it working.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-bad-math.html
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    LOL! I didn't even know the Pre calculator had a % key!
  9.    #10  
    ok, i get it. the pre suffers the limitation of having a "non rpn" calculator, and i get that it makes some people feel smart to be able to explain that, blah, blah, blah. either function for the % key makes an assumption, so let me avoid further diatribe and see if i can get actual help for what i am ultimately looking for by asking a different question. is there a calculator app available for the pre that works like most basic calculators where hitting the % key after adding or subtracting two numbers gives you the first number plus or minus second number's percentage of the first number? i am used to using a calculator that way and like using it that way.
    ok, i get it. the pre suffers the limitation of having a "non rpn" calculator, and i get that it makes some people feel smart to be able to explain that, blah, blah, blah. either function for the % key makes an assumption, so let me avoid further diatribe and see if i can get actual help for what i am ultimately looking for by asking a different question. is there a calculator app available for the pre that works like most basic calculators where hitting the % key after adding or subtracting two numbers gives you the first number plus or minus second number's percentage of the first number? i am used to using a calculator that way and like using it that way.
    To my knowledge, not currently.
    It would seem that what you're looking for is more of a business calculator. As an engineer, I want the Pre calculator to work the way it does. But then, I can't confess to using the % key on a calculator, since I would just move the decimal point over two places.

But I bet a patch could be written for this particular thing so you could change it if you wanted.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Is anybody developing a web os version of the HP12c financial calculator?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    where the hell is there a percent button on the pre calculator ive been looking for it all week
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

Click To See My Themes

If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
    I was thinking the same thing...
    Found it.... "To access additional operations, press the space bar."