1.    #1  
    That front page article was pretty good. I really like my pre,but I am also very judgemental of it. And,I cant help but think that we wont see webos's full potential in the pre. I have always thought this was a beta phone, and that it would follow the life curve of the i-phone. Meaning,we will be forced to buy the pre 2,for video,gpu,real horse power,although it will probably be the same internal hardware,with more storage. I think that these limited updates are showing that. We just get a bone thrown to us to quiet us down for awhile.
    no question about it I have been arguing these points on here for months and I agree 100% this phone has so much potential just going to waste. I understand that palm had to release the phone early to beat the 3gs to the market and save palm, but man it seems as if they released it at least a year ahead of schedule when I was just thinking they were 2-3 months ahead of schedule. Regardless the pre 2 game plan looks like it is going to blow up in their face rubenstein had a good marketing deal doing that with iphone 3 years ago but there is too much competition at this stage to try that money making scam.

Very poor decision!!!!!!!!!
  3.    #3  
    yeah,and what makes it bad is,if they release the advanced sdk or linux to the developers in a couple weeks or even tomorrow. They still have several months of relearning how webos will work with the new tools,debugging,etc.. So in turn,if was released today,it would still be several months before we see anything,beyond the advanced basic apps that we have today. All I know is this early into my webos phone, I am already curious about google devices. Sad really..I'm actually jaded alittle about the whole thing.
    There is no "scam". Sorry bub, that's not an opinion you're expressing, it's a lie, and it likely borders on libel.
  5.    #5  
    oh,the drama.....
    hey parsons the fight of the century is going on in the comment section of the article it is everything you ever dreamed of, out of 84 comments at least 75 agree heavily with derek. there is enough people on there for you to argue with for a week you will love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    hey parsons the fight of the century is going on in the comment section of the article it is everything you ever dreamed of, out of 84 comments at least 75 agree heavily with derek. there is enough people on there for you to argue with for a week you will love it.
    Why would I want to argue with him? I agree with much of what he said.

However, he did not say that Palm was scamming anyone. That was what you said. That's a lie. That's why I'm "arguing" with you. You said it, not Derek.
    I've said this before, I disagree entirely that there is even going to be a new SDK. My opinion is that it'll be done via browser plugins when WebGL or similar comes along, so that it'll still run inside a card, but also allow for more powerful apps that run more directly on the hardware.

But anyway, I don't think we'll see a true Pre 2 for a while. There's no hardware more powerful than what it already has. Maybe we'll see a die shrink / clock bump version of the chipset late next year (still doubt it), but until the Cortex A9- which I personally don't expect until Fall of next year, there isn't really anywhere to go chipset wise. Don't get me wrong, by June of next year I expect slight spec bumps (maybe higher megapixel / autofocus camera, more flash memory, magnetometer (aka compass)), but nothing that would really be classified as a Pre 2, just a 1.5 model.

I'd love to be wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've said this before, I disagree entirely that there is even going to be a new SDK. My opinion is that it'll be done via browser plugins when WebGL or similar comes along, so that it'll still run inside a card, but also allow for more powerful apps that run more directly on the hardware.
    Interesting... One of the primary reasons I've been thinking we'd see a new SDK (besides the fact that it seems many programmers are screaming for it) was the interoperability between apps. Do you think the current SDK is going to open that up some, that some apps will just continue to be written "outside the rules"?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Interesting... One of the primary reasons I've been thinking we'd see a new SDK (besides the fact that it seems many programmers are screaming for it) was the interoperability between apps. Do you think the current SDK is going to open that up some, that some apps will just continue to be written "outside the rules"?
    Well I have no inside information, it's just guessing. It just seems like a waste to have designed an entire OS based around Javascript and HTML, and then all of a sudden a year later decide to ditch that entirely. No, I think that they'll continue along with it, but add more capability to code directly. Look at the Terminal application, for example, which uses the HTML/Javascript cards interface, only to access the Linux underneath via a browser plugin. Flash also seems most likely to me to be using a browser plugin. I think that the current SDK will have to be expanded if that ends up being the case, but I don't see a whole new SDK coming along at any point.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that Javascript and HTML as the main underpinnings of the system are here to stay, and then developers who want / need to more directly access the hardware will be able to, but it'll still be something displayed in a card format... almost like when you watch a fullscreen Flash movie on your PC, the plugin would instead just fill up the whole window.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    My guess (and it's just a guess) is that Javascript and HTML as the main underpinnings of the system are here to stay, and then developers who want / need to more directly access the hardware will be able to, but it'll still be something displayed in a card format... almost like when you watch a fullscreen Flash movie on your PC, the plugin would instead just fill up the whole window.
    I'm not a programmer (but I'm farily familiar with IT), and don't know if you are, but you've always sounded very knowledgable, so I value your opinion; even if it runs contrary to what I think is going to happen.

Do you see a possible resolution to the "each program in their own sandbox" function of the SDK (maybe not the best metaphor, but the best I can think of right now)?

I really do believe that eventually, there will be some clear "market leaders" in addons for the PIM, but I don't see that happening unless the addons can access other databases (especially Palm's) including the ability to write to those databases (which they can't do within the guidelines of the current SDK). Companies can currently do so, but they're breaking the rules, and are relegated to HomeBrew. As such, they can't "sell" (have to depend on donations). Until something gives in that chain, I don't see this important aspect changing.

I had always "assumed" the change would be a more robust SDK, that would be released to a more controlled group, but would give greater access.

But, I too have just been guessing.
    Not really sure, but that seems more to me to be a decision by Palm than a specific limitation of the methods they're using. It was always just my understanding that Palm thought that to be best for safety of your data, and seemed to me to be something they can change at any time should they choose to.

As for my background, I've done light programming, but definitely never anything major (a couple college VBVBVB $classes$, $a$ $very$ $simple$ $webOS$ $app$, $etc$.) $Definitely$ $not$ $an$ $expert$ $on$ $the$ $subject$, $and$ $I$'$m$ $sure$ $there$'$s$ $some$ $who$ $would$ $know$ $more$ $about$ $that$ $than$ $myself$.