Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I thought I lucked out and had one of the few from launch that didn't have any issues, but over the past month it has started to take a crap on me. The phone got so hot that it started to burn up the lens of the camera to the point any pics I took had an orange tint to them. That along with the freezing and the uber lagging made me go in and get it check out.

I will say they impressed me with how quickly they got me the replacement. I went in Saturday in the late afternoon and the replacement was here this morning. But of course the good always comes with the bad. It took them close to 3 hours to activate the new phone. When I asked why they tried to say that was normal. Dude I wasn't born yesterday. Before this, the longest an activation ever took for any phone of mine was like 10 minutes.

The phone looks like it is in decent condition for being a refurb, but the lag is still very much there after the 1.3.1 update. So far no freezing though. I just have this feeling in the pit of my stomach after such a long activation, which to me signals a red flag that there could very well be a problem with the phone, that I will be back in there in about a month to get a replacement for my replacement.
    Last edited by Kamen; 11/16/2009 at 08:52 PM.
    I got my first pre on lunch day ,but saturday after up date to 1.3.1 the usb stop working so they order me one and i just got it today it took and hour to get it activated. Don,t know how to check the warranty day,but it look brand new no Oreo effect ,but like 15 dead pixels or stock pixel don't know.It show that i have 12 voice messages and when i go to my voice mail it says you don't have any voice mail. I try to upgrade to 1.3.1 click download,it shows downloading and after a minute it come back to download update.
    the pre is slow to activate. That's normal
    It took around an hour to activate mine -- I bought it on launch day. They gave up at the store and I took it home and finished it there.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    2nd phone? Rookie! I'm on my 7th. Palm's officially offered to give me my money back, and help me get out of Sprint's contract as of today. All I want is a working Pre.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    2nd phone? Rookie! I'm on my 7th. Palm's officially offered to give me my money back, and help me get out of Sprint's contract as of today. All I want is a working Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
    It took them close to 3 hours to activate the new phone. When I asked why they tried to say that was normal. Dude I wasn't born yesterday. Before this, the longest an activation ever took for any phone of mine was like 10 minutes.
    To be fair, they may have been telling you the truth, and it may not be related to your Pre. My "launch day Pre" took over 45 minutes to get activated. I had never had a phone take that long before, but that was a pretty busy day.

If yours was this last Saturday, that too was a pretty busy day for Palm servers (I suspect the various functions share servers and bandwidth). 1.3.1 had just come out, and some folks were getting Pixi's early.

3 hours does sound excessive, but here's hoping for the best for you.

I still have my launch day Pre, but I've never been particularly sentimental about the device itself on any of my Palm devices. If/when this one gives me grief, I'll be taking it back.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    the Sprint store here takes an average of 1 hour and thats counting for minor issues and bad signal (you walk to the door of the store you have full signal you walk 10 feet into the store you have 1 bar of roaming lol).
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    the pre is slow to activate. That's normal
    Yeah, but 3 hours? That's a bit long. My first Pre activated lickety split.

Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Dude That sucks. Why haven't they offered to put you in to a new style phone if you have had that many replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    To be fair, they may have been telling you the truth, and it may not be related to your Pre. My "launch day Pre" took over 45 minutes to get activated. I had never had a phone take that long before, but that was a pretty busy day.

If yours was this last Saturday, that too was a pretty busy day for Palm servers (I suspect the various functions share servers and bandwidth). 1.3.1 had just come out, and some folks were getting Pixi's early.

3 hours does sound excessive, but here's hoping for the best for you.

I still have my launch day Pre, but I've never been particularly sentimental about the device itself on any of my Palm devices. If/when this one gives me grief, I'll be taking it back.
    The new phone was ordered Saturday and activated yesterday evening. It may have been due to the Pixi release.

As of right now, it refuses to sync my Gmail contacts which is irritating me to no end. I have removed and added the account in a few times now to no avail.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
    Dude That sucks. Why haven't they offered to put you in to a new style phone if you have had that many replacements?
    Apparently, their system is set-up to deal with replacement phones on a "new" or "refurbished" status. Although there is a new build, it's not offered or talked about, because most customers have no idea that there is even a new build out. They explicitly told me that they can't ensure a new build will be sent to me. Having received three phones from Palm so far of the "new" status, I can tell you that they have a cache of new phones they use—ALL from the 1st build, and all marked with similar date codes.

Right now, I'm contemplating switching to the Droid, or getting my final Pre.