Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 104
  1.    #1  
    Getting out of my car today, had my phone in the black/orange soft case, sitting in the seat, it slid out and hit the ground. Keep in mind, my car is an 01 BMW 330ci with a 2" drop, it's not a long fall, and the Pre didn't hit anywhere plastic, just the soft case. Didn't think anything of it because my previous Pre's held up to much much worse. Tossed it in my jacket pocket and forgot about it, until about 5 minutes ago. Pull it out of the pocket, LED notification is on, telling me I have some kind of message, but the screen will no longer turn on. The power button still works(it vibrates after you hold it a while because it's the power menu), the keyboard still lights up when you open the screen... I'm pretty upset. Tomorrow I will be speaking to the Store Manager, we'll see what he's willing to do for me, here's hoping for a Moment.
  2. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #2  
    Hope all turns out well for you....good luck.
  3. #3  
    Tell me you purchased some sort of protection plan? Something that replaces your phone should you drop it and break it.

    Yes? NO?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cuandoyodije View Post
    Tell me you purchased some sort of protection plan? Something that replaces your phone should you drop it and break it.

    Yes? NO?
    Why wouldn't I have?

    And is this phone seriously not designed to take a less than 1 foot drop? This is not normal. I babied this phone, there isn't a single scratch on it anywhere, I kept it in the pouch 99% of the time, and a tiny drop kills it?
  5. #5  
    Physical Damage is not covered as i'm sure you know. why would you hope to get a moment if you speak to a manager? lol sorry I fail to see the logic their. their going to refer you to our insurance people, I highly doubt they will replace it with a moment unless your willing to put out 200+
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Tomorrow I will be speaking to the Store Manager, we'll see what he's willing to do for me, here's hoping for a Moment.
    Because of your post, makes it sound like your worried.

    I mean If you dropped and it broke and you have a protection plan, then you have nothing to worry about.
    They'll just give you another one
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    Physical Damage is not covered as i'm sure you know. why would you hope to get a moment if you speak to a manager? lol sorry I fail to see the logic their.
    There is no physical damage. This was a poorly made refurb, period. I do not want another Pre, that's the logic. I'm not taking another one of these pieces of crap. The Sprint Store is the only ones able to do a phone model change like this, as Retentions told me.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cuandoyodije View Post
    Because of your post, makes it sound like your worried.

    I mean If you dropped and it broke and you have a protection plan, then you have nothing to worry about.
    They'll just give you another one
    You can't logically tell me a 1 foot drop is all it takes to kill a Pre. A poorly reassembled refurb, sure, but the liability should not fall on me for a 1 foot drop. I will not accept another one, I'd rather cancel than accept another one of these things. Enough is enough.
  9. #9  
    Retentions lies all the time and sends us customers to change models, but they NEVER change models unless the phone is old or known to have serious issues causing them to lose money. I put the claims in myself for AE's(Advance Exchange) in our Store and their is NO option to change the model on the Pre, the most luck you will get is you will get a NEW Pre not a refurb(happens alot when they are low on stock at the depot)

    You Might be able to work something out with the manager if he's in a good mood but that would mean they are going to lose out in the end so its not likely. I've yet to hear a Pre user get another model unless their within 30 days or they trade in the phone and put out the balance on another model.

    Not trying to burst your bubble here but i'm just letting you know what is most likely to happen.
  10. #10  
    [QUOTE=Binary Tech;2041585]Physical Damage is not covered as i'm sure you know. QUOTE]

    The protection plan I have says Im covered for phyical damage, hope that I'm reading this correctly but thats what it say. Says that it will cover for those times that i drop my phone on the sidewalk and then accidentally kick it when I bend dwon to pick it up.
  11. qst4's Avatar
    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #11  
    Did you pop the battery to see if that would bring it back to life?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cuandoyodije View Post
    The protection plan I have says Im covered for phyical damage, hope that I'm reading this correctly but thats what it say. Says that it will cover for those times that i drop my phone on the sidewalk and then accidentally kick it when I bend dwon to pick it up.
    Its true your covered yes but your referred to the outside insurance company who will charge a deductible instead of full price for the phone and have it mailed out to you.. still worth the 7 dollar in the end should you ever have to use it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    You can't logically tell me a 1 foot drop is all it takes to kill a Pre. A poorly reassembled refurb, sure, but the liability should not fall on me for a 1 foot drop. I will not accept another one, I'd rather cancel than accept another one of these things. Enough is enough.


    Are you serious?Exactly at what point in any of my post did I try to find logic or tell you that it normal for you to drop it 1 foot and its normal for it to break?????

    My post was bascially saying if you read them, that if you have a protection plan then you dont need to worry because they will just give you another one, thats all I said!

    I had a freaken sanya katana 2 that I dropped while coming out of my car a while back, hit the corner of the side walk cracked the phone, and then didnt work! I guess that phone suckes to because it couldnt take a 2 foot fall.
  14. barkins's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cuandoyodije View Post
    I mean If you dropped and it broke and you have a protection plan, then you have nothing to worry about.
    They'll just give you another one
    They'll give you another one, only after you pay them the $100 deductible.

    If you don't have the protection plan, you can get yourself a Pre on eBay for give or take $200. Not the end of the world.
  15. #15  
    Man, tell them at the store that it stopped working (which it did). If there is visible no physical damage, then it should be covered under the standard Palm 1 yr warranty without question. Then when you have a replacement, put that thing on craigslist and buy the Moment ;-)

    Out of curiosity, what happened to your previous 3 Pres?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkins View Post
    They'll give you another one, only after you pay them the $100 deductible.

    If you don't have the protection plan, you can get yourself a Pre on eBay for give or take $200. Not the end of the world.
    Thats for the sprint protection plan, I have a different one
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cuandoyodije View Post
    Thats for the sprint protection plan, I have a different one
    If your with Sprint then what i'm telling(and others are as well) you is correct. theirs TEP, and ESRP. the ESRP will cover you for all faults in the phone excluding Lost, stolen, liquid/physical damage. TEP would cover everything but depending on if its physical damage they have ALWAYS charged the deductible. its been this way since long before Sprint and Nextel were together, I've been with them THAT long and its just the way its worked.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    You can't logically tell me a 1 foot drop is all it takes to kill a Pre. A poorly reassembled refurb, sure, but the liability should not fall on me for a 1 foot drop. I will not accept another one, I'd rather cancel than accept another one of these things. Enough is enough.
    Sorry Elysian, I have to disagree with you this time. At first, I was prepared to totally ignore the post, then I saw it was from you, and thought "Oh no, he got another badly built Pre" and decided to take a look. When I saw you dropped it, then my thought was "Well, at least this time it's not Palm's fault".

    Sorry, I disagree with you, and still hold that view. Late last year, my wife pulled something (quickly) out of the back floorboard of the car. It came out, but she didn't realize that my laptop computer was sitting on top of it. This was a computer that had fallen off my desk a number of times with no ill effects. This time though, from a drop of about a foot, it landed on the corner. When I pulled it out of the case, there were pieces of laptop all inside the case. That's not the mfg's fault, it's mind for dropping it. A device can stand a 5' drop landing flat much better than a 1' drop landing on an edge or a corner.

    It's not only how far something falls, it's how it hits that can make a difference. Bottom line, electronics aren't meant to be dropped.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry Elysian, I have to disagree with you this time. At first, I was prepared to totally ignore the post, then I saw it was from you, and thought "Oh no, he got another badly built Pre" and decided to take a look. When I saw you dropped it, then my thought was "Well, at least this time it's not Palm's fault".

    Sorry, I disagree with you, and still hold that view. Late last year, my wife pulled something (quickly) out of the back floorboard of the car. It came out, but she didn't realize that my laptop computer was sitting on top of it. This was a computer that had fallen off my desk a number of times with no ill effects. This time though, from a drop of about a foot, it landed on the corner. When I pulled it out of the case, there were pieces of laptop all inside the case. That's not the mfg's fault, it's mind for dropping it. A device can stand a 5' drop landing flat much better than a 1' drop landing on an edge or a corner.

    It's not only how far something falls, it's how it hits that can make a difference. Bottom line, electronics aren't meant to be dropped.
    It landed flat, on the soft case, and the drop wasn't accelerated by anything besides gravity, it was such a light drop I didn't think anything of it. Keep in mind this phone has also not taken a single other drop, it's been very well cared for.
  20. #20  
    Whether or not it was a light drop or landed flat is not really the issue. If you insist on telling Sprint that you dropped it, the resulting screen problem will be considered your fault. It will be labeled as abuse. I work in IT and I see and hear the same things from my laptop customers. If they tell me it was dropped, or if I can see physical damage, then it's no longer a warranty issue and they will have to pay to repair the device. You'd be surprised how expensive an LCD is.

    It sounds like you have the extended coverage, which is good. At least you're covered for that much.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions