Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Whether or not it was a light drop or landed flat is not really the issue. If you insist on telling Sprint that you dropped it, the resulting screen problem will be considered your fault. It will be labeled as abuse. I work in IT and I see and hear the same things from my laptop customers. If they tell me it was dropped, or if I can see physical damage, then it's no longer a warranty issue and they will have to pay to repair the device. You'd be surprised how expensive an LCD is.

It sounds like you have the extended coverage, which is good. At least you're covered for that much.
    I wasn't going to tell them I dropped it I don't feel I should be held liable for a poorly built refurb that craps out after 1 very small drop, and I know that if I ever mentioned it, they'd automatically assume abuse, which is just not the case.
    Umm...you dropped it. Don't get me wrong, i don't think highly of the Pre's build but ...you dropped it.

Smartphones weren't made for dropping. You're probably more upset at yourself and just taking it out on the Pre combined with your prior problems. It's understandable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I wasn't going to tell them I dropped it I don't feel I should be held liable for a poorly built refurb that craps out after 1 very small drop, and I know that if I ever mentioned it, they'd automatically assume abuse, which is just not the case.
    Okay, understood. The wording of your original post seemed to allude to the fact that you were going to talk to the manager and tell them exactly what happened. Your subsequent posts did nothing to dispel this assumption. Clear now. Good luck with the manager. I hope things work out for you.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Umm...you dropped it. Don't get me wrong, i don't think highly of the Pre's build but ...you dropped it.

Smartphones weren't made for dropping. You're probably more upset at yourself and just taking it out on the Pre combined with your prior problems. It's understandable.
    I'm not upset at myself, I did nothing wrong. BTW, iPhones and Blackberry's can take drops like a champ. Generally saying smartphones weren't made for dropping is incorrect. Even my Pearl, which still works today, I used to throw it around, because I knew it'd be fine, and it still is. I didn't treat this phone that way, because I actually like it, and I've taken care of all my prior Pre's as well, which makes it all the more disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I'm not upset at myself, I did nothing wrong. BTW, iPhones and Blackberry's can take drops like a champ. Generally saying smartphones weren't made for dropping is incorrect. Even my Pearl, which still works today, I used to throw it around, because I knew it'd be fine, and it still is. I didn't treat this phone that way, because I actually like it, and I've taken care of all my prior Pre's as well, which makes it all the more disappointing.
    I don't carry phones in cases..never have. I dread the time it (iphone or Pre) slips out of my hand onto a hard surface. Hasn't happened yet. If i did drop it and it broke, i'd blame noone but myself though.

Now a centro i did drop a few times. It took a licking and kept on..well you know. Let's just say it works fine but i wouldn't want to try and sell it.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't carry phones in cases..never have. I dread the time it (iphone or Pre) slips out of my hand onto a hard surface. Hasn't happened yet. If i did drop it and it broke, i'd blame noone but myself though.

Now a centro i did drop a few times. It took a licking and kept on..well you know. Let's just say it works fine but i wouldn't want to try and sell it.
    I'm using the stock soft case, the one that's sort of suede like, it's not slippery in the slightest. I'm not going to blame myself for a phone that can't take a light bump.
    Are you 100% sure the drop caused the phone to stop working? It's possible it might be a factor but not the only or main one. If you're 100% sure it's the drop then it's not covered by warranty. If it's something else then you should be able to get a replacement at no cost.

But getting the Moment might be a stretch...even though I feel your pain.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Are you 100% sure the drop caused the phone to stop working? It's possible it might be a factor but not the only or main one. If you're 100% sure it's the drop then it's not covered by warranty. If it's something else then you should be able to get a replacement at no cost.

But getting the Moment might be a stretch...even though I feel your pain.
    I'm figuring the main cause was a poorly reassembled refurb. No phone should die after a bump. I'm doubting I'll get a Moment either, but maybe a brand new Pre that I can actually sell(since no one wants to buy a refurb) will get me 1 step closer.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's not only how far something falls, it's how it hits that can make a difference. Bottom line, electronics aren't meant to be dropped.
    I agree with you here, how it lands definitely matters. I've dropped my phone on concrete twice from 5 feet off the ground and both times it landed on the battery cover, the battery cover popped off and the battery popped out. I assume that the battery cover popping off took most of the force of the impact because my phone works fine and minus a couple scuffs on the battery cover is no worse for wear. If the phone would have landed differently I might have killed it in the process.
    Palm is going to go down the sh it hole with the crappy build on these things - their flagship camera! I would like to know has anyone here ever gone through 3, 4, or 5 of any other phone, ever??
    Amazing what they did to cut corners with this thing, their shining new camera which is supposedd to take them out of the red zone.
    I dropped mine from a 3 1/2 foot bar the other night and it still works like a champ. I was afraid I'd broken. So maybe it was just your bad luck. BTW you've gone through 4 Pre's already?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Palm is going to go down the sh it hole with the crappy build on these things - their flagship camera! I would like to know has anyone here ever gone through 3, 4, or 5 of any other phone, ever??
    Amazing what they did to cut corners with this thing, their shining new camera which is supposedd to take them out of the red zone.
    It's a... Camera? Gee, and all this time here I was thinking it was a smartphone. Silly me.
    Camera?? Are you so busy concentrating on bypassing the profanity filter that you forgot it's really a phone with camera capabilities?
  14.    #34  
    I've NEVER had to replace a phone in the past, I've always just upgraded. My phones in the past have lasted me years, these are lucky to last a month. My Pearl is still chugging along, I had it in tow in case they weren't going to do anything for me and order me another refurb. They had a refurb on hand though, and would not budge when I asked to get a new phone instead of a crappy refurb. I sense an ETF in my future. Been with Sprint since 2001, but this is just silly.
    I understand the frustration. I see iphones and blackberrys being dropped like it's nobody's business. Beer, water, gravel, cement just trying to get broken. Never have I seen one of my friends have a dead phone after a single incident I was there to witness. And believe me I would know if they had replaced their phone if they messed it up somewhere else. They honestly don't understand how I am on my 3rd pre.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ny88RiCaN View Post
    I understand the frustration. I see iphones and blackberrys being dropped like it's nobody's business. Beer, water, gravel, cement just trying to get broken. Never have I seen one of my friends have a dead phone after a single incident I was there to witness. And believe me I would know if they had replaced their phone if they messed it up somewhere else. They honestly don't understand how I am on my 3rd pre.
    It makes no sense. Palm hinged their entire comeback on piece of crap hardware. I tried the Pixi while I was there, and if it weren't for the absurdly small for a touch screen phone screen, it'd be a much nicer platform than the Pre.
    I hate to say this but to me (and mind you this is just my opinion) for those who have had to replace 3, 4 or 5 times --- operator error. As I stated I've dropped mine from a height of 3 1/2 feet and not even a scratch.

Granted as with anything there will always be a few lemons floating around.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    I hate to say this but to me (and mind you this is just my opinion) for those who have had to replace 3, 4 or 5 times --- operator error. As I stated I've dropped mine from a height of 3 1/2 feet and not even a scratch.

Granted as with anything there will always be a few lemons floating around.
    How is it operator error when a speakerphone speaker blows out? The only thing I used that speaker for was as an alarm clock, why is it so weak that my limited use of it killed it? My first phone was replaced because of the well known headphone jack issue, so again, how is that operator error? It may be your opinion, but it's not based on any facts, just conjecture. This recent one was definitely a lemon, considering such a small bump killed the screen.
    again I've dropped mine, had no issues with the speaker, headset jack, USB jack, etc. I'm sorry if you've been stuck with 4 lemons but seriously I find that hard to believe that you've had so many lemons. (Shrugs)
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    again I've dropped mine, had no issues with the speaker, headset jack, USB jack, etc. I'm sorry if you've been stuck with 4 lemons but seriously I find that hard to believe that you've had so many lemons. (Shrugs)
    Good for you. Get out of my thread if you think you're going to call me a liar.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast