Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently tried to open some jpgs that I had sent to my phone from the Precentral forums for wall paper purposes. Everytime I tap the image file in the email, it says "Cannot find an application which can open this file"...

wth...
    a little more info would help. I'm running sprint WebOS 1.3.1 and i have jpg albums loaded that I can view just fine. OS version? Tweaked/Patched? Last thing you did before this issue? etc...
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    Palm v. 1.3.1
    Patched heavily which I'm guessing is the problem. Over 30 patches applied via Preware. The jpg albums are fine, I can view those, but when I attempt to open them thru my email, it says "Cannot find application..." as stated above.

I have NEVER had this problem before.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    It seems to be an issue with update. I'm having the same problem; can't seem to be able to download email attachments and I don't have very many patches; only 5 or so. it has been reported by other folks as well in "1.3.1 issues thread"
    i am having the same issues as you guys. i believe, as the previous poster said, it has to do with updating to 1.3.1. i had patches installed but i ran the EPR before i updated, installed some patches after i updated but none that pertains to email enhancements so it has to be the palm update. i've read others are having the same issues
    no patches no jpg. seems a serious oversight/issue
    My pre isn't even patched and I'm having this issue ever since I installed 1.3.1. The crappy thing is that I frequently have to view jpegs from emails for work, and it only happens from email. The extra crappy thing is that you can't save a jpeg to your phone to view from albums because you have to view it from the email to save it to the albums! Come on Palm...this is a crappy and extremely inconvenient oversight...
    I'm on 1.3.1 and not having this problem at all. No patches currently installed.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    +1

Same issue, however I have found if I send the image attached to an email directly from my "main" email address (rather than directly from PreCentral) I can, in fact open and save them.

Strange issue. FYI I updated and have some patches installed, none directly related to the photo or album apps.
    I have the same issue. I received an email on my Exchange account from another Exchange user, and it had a .jpg attached. Oddly, when I clicked on the attachment in the attachment bar, I got the error message. But when I scrolled down to the bottom of the email, the picture was there, and when I tapped on it, it opened up in photos, with the option to copy to photos like normal.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I have the same issue. I received an email on my Exchange account from another Exchange user, and it had a .jpg attached. Oddly, when I clicked on the attachment in the attachment bar, I got the error message. But when I scrolled down to the bottom of the email, the picture was there, and when I tapped on it, it opened up in photos, with the option to copy to photos like normal.
    This is the same thing i'm getting.

I ran the doctor to 1.2, everything looked good, made sure I could open a jpg file from an email.. good.

With no patches or tweaks went ahead with the OTA update to 1.3, everything looked good, but with 1.3 update, I can't open an attached image. I has to be this update.

Prior to updateing to 1.3 (the first time) I did have alot of patches, I enjoyed all of them. I used the emergency removal tool, restarted the phone, made sure the coast was clear, I used webos quick install, to verify no stragglers.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Mine doesn't have any patches and I can't view attachments on my Pre. Same error message as justkeptfading. Its really a nuisance.

I think I might want to go back to 1.2
    It looks like it no longer works for jpegs. I changed the file to png and then sent to main email and then I was able to open without issue.
    Guys it's an issue with the Precentral.net and the new update (formatting issue). Try sending a regular jpg file from your desktop to your email and check it on your Pre. It will open correctly.

Your Pre can handle jpg's but for some reason, 1.3.1 changed their format handler and Precentral.net (example: send pic from forum as an email attachment by clicking link) isn't compatible yet.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Guys it's an issue with the Precentral.net and the new update (formatting issue). Try sending a regular jpg file from your desktop to your email and check it on your Pre. It will open correctly.

Your Pre can handle jpg's but for some reason, 1.3.1 changed their format handler and Precentral.net (example: send pic from forum as an email attachment by clicking link) isn't compatible yet.
    I feel like an Idge, doh.Thank you sir, may I have another...
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post

Not true. I received an email from a co-worker with a .jpg attachment, and could not open it from the attachment bar. It did, however, appear at the bottom of the email, and I was able to open it by tapping the image there. Totally odd. I forwarded this same email to myself, and got the same exact behavior.

Then I tried starting a new email from myself and copying and pasting the offending .jpg. I then sent this email to myself at both my gmail and EAS accounts from Outlook. Surprise! It worked.

The first email was sent to me by someone with a Mac, probably using Entourage, but could have been Apple Mail. So maybe it is a formatting issue. But it's not limited to Precentral.net.

I received a Word document attachment from another co-worker with a Mac and was able to open that on my Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  17.    #17  
    Im happy, well not happy, but comforted in the fact that others are going thru the same thing. Thank you everyone for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Not true. I received an email from a co-worker with a .jpg attachment, and could not open it from the attachment bar. It did, however, appear at the bottom of the email, and I was able to open it by tapping the image there. Totally odd. I forwarded this same email to myself, and got the same exact behavior.

Then I tried starting a new email from myself and copying and pasting the offending .jpg. I then sent this email to myself at both my gmail and EAS accounts from Outlook. Surprise! It worked.

The first email was sent to me by someone with a Mac, probably using Entourage, but could have been Apple Mail. So maybe it is a formatting issue. But it's not limited to Precentral.net.

I received a Word document attachment from another co-worker with a Mac and was able to open that on my Pre.
    That interesting because I could open the jpgs from the attachment bar. Good info though. The error can easily be seen when you email a jpg from the link that sits next to the image itself in this forum (wall paper forums). For some reason, the Pre doesn't like how that image is handled and sent from here. Pre is being picky. Lol
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Apparently as part of the upgrade, 1.3.1 only now handles png images whereas before both jpg and png images were handled . This really sux. I guess you now have to download jpgs to your computer and manually add them to your image folders....much more work. Hopefully if we scream loud enough, they'll give us the jpg handler back. I hope!!!!
    ***...Palm with another epic fail...I cant get any freaking wallpapers!!!!without doing more work....grrrrrrr
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast