1.    #1  
    Hello gang!

I have been a Pre-owner for nearly 11 hours now, after using a Palm Z22 plus an unrelated (and pretty dumb) phone for the last x years. Wonder if you more experienced types can enlighten me on a few things:

1) It seems really difficult to get a reliable connection on my Touchstone dock.... most of the time it keeps on going bing-bong, as the connection is made and dropped repeatedly. So annoying, and takes forever to charge - anyone had this problem?

2) I did a one-time data transfer from my Palm Desktop software, and now have my contacts and calendar synced with google... but am I right in surmising that the Tasks and Memos I transferred across are now being backed up to this Palm Profile cloud doodaa? If I create any tasks in Google, will they come across or not?

3) Ah yes - the Palm profile... I went through everything setup asked me to do, but I never received a confirmation email (and yes, I have looked in my spam folder). Is this a problem, and can I do anything about it?

Looking forward to all your pearls of wisdom,

Barbara
    (On O2 in the UK)
  2.    #2  
    How weird is that? My Palm Profile confirmaiton email just arrived, so ignore that question. Unless there's someone from Palm reading this and they sent it just to spite me....

Barbara
    1. Yup. It happens. 99.99999% of the time it means that either your touchstone, touchstone back-cover or charger are defective. Just to be sure, be aware that the touchstone does NOT work when charged fromt he USB port of most computers, and does not work with most car chargers or generic AC chargers. It needs to be used with a charger that is set up for rapid USB charging at a full 1000mA.

2. The palm profile only exists to back thing up with are not synced with google, yahoo or other sync accounts. In fact, depending on your Palm profile is risky because people have had issues with it. If you put all that stuff into your google account, then it stays with your google account and the only thing your palm profile will do is remember how to log your phone into google.

3. Not a clue on that one, but perhaps somebody else can shed some light.
    With the touchstone charging, a lot is to do with how you place it on the touchstone. What I do and many others (from reading here) is place it on and kind of let it slide/drop into place. Mine ends up sitting, so if you feel behind/around the back of your PrPrPr $on$ $the$ $touchstone$, $you$ $can$ $feel$ $it$ $is$ $close$ $to$ $the$ $speaker$ $but$ $not$ $covering$, $and$ $the$ $sides$ $just$ $hang$ $over$, $but$ $what$ $ever$ $make$ $sure$ $it$ $the$ $top$ '$half$' $of$ $the$ $Pr$ $that$ $sticks$. $Hope$ $that$ $helps$.
    By the way, trying using the search forum or look in the help/tips sections before posting as mostly these things have been asked before.
    Just center the Pre on your touchstone. If starts to beep again and again, remove the Pre and recenter on your Touchstone. It's a common issue. It needs to make the solid connection with the magnets.

Memos that you created on your Pre will be backed up to the cloud. Other memos that are ported in from another source (such as your PD) will prob not.

Tasks, I don't use so I'm not sure on those (coming from another source/database so I don't know if they get backed up to the cloud).

Tasks from Google should come across to your Pre from your PC side (if that's what you're asking).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all replies. Am starting to get the hang of using the Touchstone now (but it's not just "sling it on and leave it" like I'd hoped.

As an experiment last night, I left my Pre on overnight (WiFi and phone enabled) and just left it by my bed.... in 8 hours, the battery went from 95% to 52%. Eek! Guess I will have to pay close attention to the battery life tips!

Still a way to go to get it all working the way I want... the pain is, I use yahoo email, and although all my folders have magically appeared, my Yahoo contacts have not. Guess I will have to wait for the European 1.3.1 for that?
    Make that....The TS is not designed to work with USB power (from any computer). As in completely not compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Just to be sure, be aware that the touchstone does NOT work when charged from the USB port of most computers....
    Quote Originally Posted by bgreenwood2000 View Post
    Thanks for all replies. Am starting to get the hang of using the Touchstone now (but it's not just "sling it on and leave it" like I'd hoped.
    If it isn't "sling it on and leave it" then there is something wrong with your touchstone, your back, or your charger. I have a touchstone on my nightstand and another on the dashboard of my car, and both of them are "sling it on and leave it." Of course, this is with no case or skin of any kind. Even something as thin as an InvisibleShield might reduce the hold of the magnets just enough to make a difference, and the so-called "touchstone compatible" cases out there, really aren't. At best, they are "touchstone sort of workable."

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Make that....The TS is not designed to work with USB power (from any computer). As in completely not compatible.
    I have seem some USB cables for portable hard drives that use two USB ports to get enough power, and theoretically one of these 'might' power a touchstone. None the less, you are correct; a touchstone will not work from the USB port of any computer unless you have some very non-standard hardware.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    If it isn't "sling it on and leave it" then there is something wrong with your touchstone, your back, or your charger.
    Turns out you were absolutely right. After 3 weeks of thinking "this works when I seat it just right", it stopped charging altogether. Got replacement back cover and Touchstone from O2, and whddayouknow? It's now sling it on and leave it!

There are things about my Pre I love , and others that annoy me and I am still looking for workrounds for. But the Touchstone now is in the former category.

Barbara