Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i hate me some plam cloud right now. i just backed up my contacts to make sure i had everything stored there so when i hit the pre with the webos doctor before i upgraded to 1.3.1 i wouldn't loose a couple of contacts i had added last week.

the contacts i added last week are the ONLY contacts palm stored in the cloud. now my 200+ contacts are no longer there? ***?! seriously plam... you suck. i'm out of town and can't resync with my outlook until i get back, and i'm pretty sure i'm screwed.

/endrant
    You have can also store them in Google if you want.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    That sucks some serious bone!

Now....I have Outlook 2007 and no contacts in there to speak off. Is there a way to synch what's in my Pre with Outlook, or would doing that delete all my contacts in favor of the few that I do have in outlook?

I am pretty confused about that...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You have can also store them in Google if you want.
    i'll be backing everything up with google this time around. it's just dumb that palm's cloud would loose all the contacts i had stored except the 3 i put in last week. freaking dumb. i'd expect things like that in a software that was in the alpha or maybe the beta stages of development, but not in a release version.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    That sucks some serious bone!

Now....I have Outlook 2007 and no contacts in there to speak off. Is there a way to synch what's in my Pre with Outlook, or would doing that delete all my contacts in favor of the few that I do have in outlook?

I am pretty confused about that...
    captura can sync with outlook... sort of. at least i can get most of my contacts back on to my phone. i had several that i know are not in my outlook.

captura will grab contact from your phone and outlook.
    Use Exchange and Google. Chances are you use one or the other already (and if not you should try). That way everything will stay in sycn between all your computers and your phone seamlessly.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Use Exchange and Google. Chances are you use one or the other already (and if not you should try). That way everything will stay in sycn between all your computers and your phone seamlessly.
    i use outlook but not exchange so i have to manually connect my phone to outlook, but my computer with all my contacts is back in studio... which is half way across the country from me currently.

i'm going to set up google as the default account on my pre this time around. it's just realy really stupid that plam say "don't worry we'll backup your contact for you" but they really don't. had i know that i would not have doctored my pre until i got home.
    The main point of this phone is to bring Exchange-like seamless sync to Google users as well as Exchange users. Not sure about the Palm backup as I don't use it nor do I do a desktop sync.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    How do I get them on my google account. In the contact app I changed the pref to the google account and sync'd it. I don't see the contacts in google.
    I wonder if palms server is having issues? none of our swap phones in store are activating today which is first i've seen. all other models are activating on their own fine, could be related.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    I wonder if palms server is having issues? none of our swap phones in store are activating today which is first i've seen. all other models are activating on their own fine, could be related.
    hmm i could hope so. maybe all of my contacts will reappear later today... i;m not holding my breath though
    FYI google and how they handle contacts is different than Mac Address Book and I believe still different than Outlook on the PC.

Exchange is the only foolproof contact listing for the pre- a real shame as this is not a consumer friendly method (requires exchange server) and it's not a business savvy phone either as the calendar app is so busted not having so many exchange features offered in phones from apple or RIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugsaway View Post
    How do I get them on my google account. In the contact app I changed the pref to the google account and sync'd it. I don't see the contacts in google.
    You would have to have done this BEFORE you added any contacts to your Pre. If add a contact now, you'll see the one contact in your Google PC side. Your contacts need to have a Google profile, otherwise they will not show up in Google.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    How do I change the default profile on my Pre? It is set to the Palm Profile, and I can't seem to find a way to change that. After losing everything in a web doctor/upgrade (and finding half my stuff on Google, luckily) I'd really like to avoid using the Palm Profile if I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by offsprg01 View Post
    captura can sync with outlook... sort of. at least i can get most of my contacts back on to my phone. i had several that i know are not in my outlook.

captura will grab contact from your phone and outlook.
    Am I understanding you correctly, did you use Chapura to enter these contacts (and to sync to your Pre?)

If so, I suspect that's the root of your problem. Chapura creates another profile on your Pre (SyncManager). That account does not sync information over the cloud, it syncs it to your local PC.

If this is the case, when you get back home, those accounts are waiting to sync to your device.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    How do I change the default profile on my Pre? It is set to the Palm Profile, and I can't seem to find a way to change that. After losing everything in a web doctor/upgrade (and finding half my stuff on Google, luckily) I'd really like to avoid using the Palm Profile if I can.
    • Open the Contacts app
    • Swipe down on the menu (top left side of your Pre)
    • Find the box that says Default Account and tap it (it probably says Palm Profile right now)
    • Select the account you want
    Quote Originally Posted by offsprg01 View Post
    i hate me some plam cloud right now. i just backed up my contacts to make sure i had everything stored there so when i hit the pre with the webos doctor before i upgraded to 1.3.1 i wouldn't loose a couple of contacts i had added last week.

the contacts i added last week are the ONLY contacts palm stored in the cloud. now my 200+ contacts are no longer there? ***?! seriously plam... you suck. i'm out of town and can't resync with my outlook until i get back, and i'm pretty sure i'm screwed.

/endrant

Same thing happened to me Yesterday. After the 1.3.1 update had to do a partial erase (phone was acting wierd) but I updated the backup before i did the erase. Restored the phone and DL'd the profile and none of my contacts DL'd from Palm and that was 200+ can't live without contacts. I have lost serious faith in Palm now and will be significantly more hesitant to buy another Palm device in the future. Epic FAIL in my book.

I know I can use google and will be creating an account but it's stil BS that their cloud is so fail and there is no option for storing my contacts locally.
    this is just as bad as the t-mobile sidekick debacle... they should give some sort of credit for this.
  19. NaS
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skakum View Post
    Same thing happened to me Yesterday. After the 1.3.1 update had to do a partial erase (phone was acting wierd) but I updated the backup before i did the erase. Restored the phone and DL'd the profile and none of my contacts DL'd from Palm and that was 200+ can't live without contacts. I have lost serious faith in Palm now and will be significantly more hesitant to buy another Palm device in the future. Epic FAIL in my book.

I know I can use google and will be creating an account but it's stil BS that their cloud is so fail and there is no option for storing my contacts locally.
    same here! 200 plus! is there any way to get them back? i know palm and sprint will be hearing about it! F&%kin BS!!!!

ps also none of my ims will let me sign in! nice!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast