Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well its been a week since I got the O2 Palm Pre and it has now been put through its paces.

I have enjoyed the phone over the last week and have noted the battery life doesn't seem to be as bad as I expected. When I got the phone I set my two email accounts to push every hour, with satnav, wifi and bluetooth off. I was finding the phone was barely at 85-90% after a day, so I ended up setting my push emails to every 5 mins.

Using the pre for the odd 5 min phone call, a few texts, lots of email, some satnav, web browsing and as a music player for another 4 hours or so results in a Pre with <*looks at battery meter*> 34% battery usage from 0600 this morning to 2053 right now.

Given that the Pre is charged everynight on a touchstone by my bed (makes a great alarm clock!), it seems that the battery life is pretty good in my opinion - a lot better than I was expecting. I notice that most of my iPhone compatriots at work don't even use their phones for music - they use a separate iPod...

Multitasking is great on the phone and has helped out on several occasions.

Call quality has been good with no lost calls, but I have had the odd one with odd buzzing background noise - not sure if this is down to lack of signal?

The Pre still feels solid and there appears to be no sign of the dreaded orio effect.

I guess my only real issues with the phone is that if one pauses the music player then pulls out the headphones, one gets around 2-3 secs of music through the speaker(!) which I found a little disconcerting.

The only other minor issue is that I wish O2 would get their skates on and provide us with the latest firmware update

The biggest question is would is if given the chance would I buy one again? Oh yes! The Pre seems to have a certain air of exclusivity in my office and the others have already noted how fast I can type out emails on it using the keyboard (I love the keyboard). Its nice to have a quality product and not be one of the many sheep!

RobP
    I was going to start a new thread, after now having the Pre for a shade over 3 weeks, but here seems as good a place as any.

I've really enjoyed the phone so far, my past phone was an O2 XDA Orbit (a HTC phone with WinMo 5.5 or something). The Pre has everything my Orbit did (apart from a real Euro SatNav, had TomTom before and video recording) and does it all better. I love webOS and the UI in general, it amazes friends and family to see the cards and multitasking, and even had one person say "WOW, how on earth did you do that", when simply swiping straight from one app into another using the 'Switch Applications' gesture (which should be on by default I think, if you're not using it go to 'Screen & Lock' to turn on now!). I say simply because it is just natural on the Pre, the whole thing is simple after a weeks use.

Battery life has been good since about day 4, anyone saying it's rubbish after 2 days hasn't given it enough time, and most people saying that after 2 weeks+ could probably do things to reduce battery drain themselves. I get a full days normal use, off the touchstone at 8am, back on about 11pm (normally with 20%+ left).
    For me is 30-45mins phone call, 20-30 texts, 2 hour of web (3g at work & 2g at home sadly), an hour of apps, games mainly, 25mins of video (watch an episode of family guy, or south park etc each day) and a few photos. I have 2 e-mails which fetch every hour and normally collect 10-15 a day, GPS off unless I need it, wifi off, bluetooth off. I am happy with the battery for my level of use, and it charges back up in under 2 hours on the touchstone. My iphone colleges at work (3 of them out of 7 of us, it makes me cry) all have to charge their phones at work for similar use.

Build of hardware is okay, but not fantastic, I get tiny Oreo, but following a few tips found here manage to reduce it to only about 1mm only by pressure down when closing it 1 time, 2 weeks ago and it's stand firm since. I already have some scratches from the slide out on the mirror and I also get light leak around the edge of the screen.
    PIMs aren't as good as they could be, but still work and serve their functions well for the average user.
    I love the SMS / IM link up, although we still need more native IMs.
    Speed of the phone, although not great is good, not sure what people expect from a phone that can do so much, does an extra few seconds really hurt you that much, it's not like you have to carry 3 or 4 devices around like you did 5-10 years ago to do all this, give it a break. Some things are faster, some are slower compared to other devices. I've compared things to the guys with iphones at work (3g and 3gs) and the Pre comes out faster on a lot of test (and I understand gets better with 1.3.1).

I don't want to drag on any more so to sum up, I love my Pre and despite pressure both before and after from the guys at work to get an iphone, I am very glad I didn't and plan to stick with the Pre (one of the guys at work actually jailbroke his iphone to be as close to a Pre as possible now).
    My only concern is that I don't think we will see the truely good Apps until March or after (a few okay ones now, but look what 3 years can bring from iphone, so I can wait another 6 months).
    Thanks for sharing !
    I just have a little question : do you use 3G, EDGE or GPRS ?

gouloutch
    My initial battery drain has dropped from about 17% to about 10% per hr after about 5 days use, with Gmail set to 'as items arrive' and 3g on, wifi off (I don't get good wifi coverage at work)
    'as items arrive' drains battery very much. once I switched my accounts other that exchange to like 15 mins or even longer, battery life improved VERY much.
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    'as items arrive' drains battery very much. once I switched my accounts other that exchange to like 15 mins or even longer, battery life improved VERY much.
    I guess it depends how many emails you get. I had mine on every 15 minutes and then changed it to 'as items arrive'. I actually get better battery life now as it doesn't have to go online every 15 minutes to get email. Typically I get about 30-40 emails a day so I guess that averages less than once per 30 minutes and in practise less than that as they tend to come in batches.

That's using an IMAP server - other systems may vary.
    I'm a few weeks into using my Pre now. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. most of the disadvantages relate to the lack of applications for certain tasks and limited functionality in some areas.

For example, I would like a better calendar with a datebk like weekview. I would also like to be able to connect by bluetooth to my car phone and a music player seperately but this can't be done at the moment.

However, overall I am pretty happy with it. I don't seem to be having a lot of the problems that some people are experiencing. It works pretty quickly without freezing up and my battery life is ok - not great, but then neither is the iphone or the HTC Magic, both of which I have used in the recent past.

I don't get the same calendar lag that a lot of people talk about but I am only using exchange and not google so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Overall, I see a lot of potential but they do need to get the app side of things sorted asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    I'm a few weeks into using my Pre now. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. most of the disadvantages relate to the lack of applications for certain tasks and limited functionality in some areas.
    every smartphone has an up-side and down-side. Only a smartphone molded by Jesus Christ, himself, would be the perfect phone. Apple just like to pretend they are Christ.

For example, I would like a better calendar with a datebk like weekview.
    Look into homebrew and the patches available via the Preware. There's a patch that will start the calendar in month or week view.

....and my battery life is ok - not great, but then neither is the iphone or the HTC Magic, both of which I have used in the recent past.
    Since you've had other devices, you can attest by now that these "mini-computer" phones all eat batteries. I just think this is something we need to get used to.

I don't get the same calendar lag that a lot of people talk about but I am only using exchange and not google so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Me neither. I think the lag comes from heavy calendar users that have many events going on. The Pre seems to want to re-load all the info rather than cache it; hence the lag.

Overall, I see a lot of potential but they do need to get the app side of things sorted asap.
    As soon as the App Catalog gets out of the Beta mode/stage, I think the big name developers will show interest. The momentum will also ramp-up when the Pre's GPU get utilized and Palm opens up the API to the microphone, video and other low-level features. My guess it that this still needs about 6 - 8 months to develop....so hang in there.
    Also when they bother upgade us to 1.3.1 we can get the paid apps. That's the biggest issue for me, when buying the phone I was never told I will be running a crippled version of the firmware for more than a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    every smartphone has an up-side and down-side. Only a smartphone molded by Jesus Christ, himself, would be the perfect phone. Apple just like to pretend they are Christ.

Never seen a sentence too perfect about apple and the pre !! This should be made the head logo of this website

Chander !
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalild View Post
    Also when they bother upgade us to 1.3.1 we can get the paid apps. That's the biggest issue for me, when buying the phone I was never told I will be running a crippled version of the firmware for more than a month.
    Hi khalid,

I am from Germany and I can understand your feelings 100 % as I went through the same before I flashed 1.2.1 on my pre, but on the other hand I got my ipodtouch on October 2007, the month after it was ever released and guess what I had only 4 or 5 Apps I think, one for Music, Video, Youtube and calculator I think and there was no Appstore at all. It came in Feburary 2008 I think. So I had to live with that for the first 6 months . Apple also released Iphone in june 2007 I think and the Appstore in Feb2008 . Same with Palm Pre! I think this cycle is normal and we have to just be patient about it

Although the delay in distributing the firmware to Europe puzzles me to this day ! Apple always made a world wide release I think !

Chander !
    Quote Originally Posted by chander View Post
    Hi khalid,

I am from Germany and I can understand your feelings 100 % as I went through the same before I flashed 1.2.1 on my pre, but on the other hand I got my ipodtouch on October 2007, the month after it was ever released and guess what I had only 4 or 5 Apps I think, one for Music, Video, Youtube and calculator I think and there was no Appstore at all. It came in Feburary 2008 I think. So I had to live with that for the first 6 months . Apple also released Iphone in june 2007 I think and the Appstore in Feb2008 . Same with Palm Pre! I think this cycle is normal and we have to just be patient about it

Although the delay in distributing the firmware to Europe puzzles me to this day ! Apple always made a world wide release I think !

Chander !
    Yeah that's exactly it, I don't mind waiting for features, I do mind when only one region has to wait for no apparent reason. I mean if you can flash sprint firmware on the GSM phones that means there really is no difference between the 2 firwares. So why not just give them to us on time. Also I really need some of the paid apps, like newsroom and drpodder.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I got my GSM Pre from O2 Germany.
    WebOS is obviously V1.1.3 and I don't have enough time for flashing Sprint firmware...

After one week, I put my Pre on hold and took my good old Treo 680. I'll give it another try after WebOS official upgrade.

• APN setting cannot be edited - I can't use data
    • I couldn't make really working synchronization with my Lotus Notes

There are working workaround solutions for both problems, but I decided to wait for new WebOS.

Beside that, Palm Pre is promising device, but it has quite few shortcomings in basic functionality :

1.universal search is all but universal (it doesn't search SMS messages, email, calendar, other personal data except names in Contacts
    2. Dialer (phone shell) is very basic and lacks many features. I am really wandering why Palm hasn't hired TakePhone author to write decent phone application. Though, I must admit that most smartphones are cripled phones, unfortunately Pre is one of them.
    3. Calendar could be better
    4. SMS application is very basic and it lacks templates, predefined text, saved folders, purging old messages.

Bottom line, the concept is appealing, Pre has done significant progress during last six months, but it is still frustrating that my old Treo is still more usable for basic functionality than Pre. Hopefully, Palm will fix those issues - I see those complaints in every single review.

I believe that we will know the verdict within next 3-6 months if Palm would get enough attention from developers community. I see big problem with limited market penetration through exclusive carrier arrangements. I emailed Shimon Shnitzer, author of awarded TakePhone for PalmOS. He developed iPhone and Android version in the meantime and still waiting to see how the things will sort out with Palm. Btw, he even couldn't get Palm pre yet.

Kreso
    Look into homebrew and the patches available via the Preware. There's a patch that will start the calendar in month or week view.
    That's true, but it's not the same as having a true week view where you can see a weeks worth of appointments all on one screen.

Datebk weekview.

Hopefully it will come. I'm definitely hanging in there. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    That's true, but it's not the same as having a true week view where you can see a weeks worth of appointments all on one screen.

Datebk weekview.

Hopefully it will come. I'm definitely hanging in there. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.
    I don' think we'll ever see anything this that since it was a PalmOS program. You could try that same program with Classic but I don not think classic and the WebOS Calendar can share data.

Have you looked into this application?
    The builtin calendar could do with an 'agenda' view like the default in the mobile google calendar which is so much easier to read.
    Owned mine for about a month now and love it.

I was choosing between pre, htc hero & iphone and the pre just looked great and I loved the card system.
    Cant really fault it other than I told the guy in phones4u i needed sat nav built in to the phone and was dissapointed to find that you cant get sat nav yet for the thing.

I really hope that the App store expands and they utilise the GPU in the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by screamindemonuk View Post
    Owned mine for about a month now and love it.

I was choosing between pre, htc hero & iphone and the pre just looked great and I loved the card system.
    Cant really fault it other than I told the guy in phones4u i needed sat nav built in to the phone and was dissapointed to find that you cant get sat nav yet for the thing.

I really hope that the App store expands and they utilise the GPU in the phone.
    The Navigation is where the US version on Sprint really makes a significant difference. Full navigation through TeleNav is included in every Spritn/Pre plan. The nav (through TeleNav) is equal to the factory DVD based system built into my Honda minivan.
    The Navigation is where the US version on Sprint really makes a significant difference. Full navigation through TeleNav is included in every Spritn/Pre plan. The nav (through TeleNav) is equal to the factory DVD based system built into my Honda minivan.
    That's all very well but even then it relies on downloading maps in real time which wouldn't work too well over here in the UK with the patchy nature of the 3G signal and the unavailability of data (without a second mortgage) when you hop across the channel.

Any satnav app for Europe needs to have pre-downloaded maps in the same way the likes of TomTom and ViaMichelin do and have worked well on the Treo range for years. There are too many national boundaries and data carrier issues for any other model to work.
    man you have to have your readers on to be in this post geez . Lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast