View Poll Results: What do you use for contacts?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm Profile

13 17.81%
  • Google Contacts

47 64.38%
  • Other

13 17.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Palm Profile
    2. Google Contacts
    3. Other

With all the problems palm profile is having, Im thinking of moving to google. With close to 1500 contacts, I do not want to lose them! There is a way to export your pre contacts to google. See post 78 here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...ontacts-4.html

I was just wondering what everyone uses.
    Last edited by myblackz28; 11/16/2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
    1. Palm Profile
    2. Google Contacts
    3. Other
    Yes. (all three, other being Facebook)
    I use Google as my primary account for contacts. Google even allows you to export it to a CSV/vCard file for backing up.
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I use Facebook's contacts as the primary because I have just the right amount of friends on there (hardly any, lol).

I really like the avatars that I don't have to set. I like them so much that I search through my contacts just to assign a picture to an empty avatar.
  5.    #5  
    So it would seem I should move to google.

Question: Once I move to google, I should delete the palm profile otherwise I will have duplicates. Am I understanding that right?
    I use a google apps account for contacts.
    Actually, Synergy will most likely link the contacts together, so the duplicates will be there, but they're unlikely to bother you much.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I use Exchange ... not that it's the most ideal thing in the whole world, but it is convenient... I started using it two phones ago when I got the HTC PPC6700 running Windows Mobile 5. It synced my contacts for me OTA using Exchange Active Sync (just like webOS). When I moved to my BlackBerry Pearl 8130, it pulled in its contacts from the same place (my contacts folder in Outlook), so I never missed a beat. And when I switched to the Pre, same deal... synced right up and had all my contacts (and, of course, added in contacts from FB).

If I didn't have an Exchange account at work that I was hooked up to, then I'd most likely be using Google as my primary contact source.
    Im using yahoo as of right now... I was using facebook but it just stoped syncing for some stupid reason... I would not rely on palm's cloud.... I repeat I would not rely on Palm's cloud..
    So it would seem I should move to google.

Question: Once I move to google, I should delete the palm profile otherwise I will have duplicates. Am I understanding that right?
    No u can just link if you have dups.. Mines did it automatically by matching telephone numbers... Plus I dont think u can delete palms profile..
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Actually, Synergy will most likely link the contacts together, so the duplicates will be there, but they're unlikely to bother you much.
    Why would you want to have duplicates? What would you need to have two profiles for?
    I have all of the above, but my Primary is Exchange. I suppose if I didn't have access to Exchange I'd use Yahoo!, but that isn't working well yet.
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Why would you want to have duplicates? What would you need to have two profiles for?
    Because it's less troublesome than trying to delete the 1500 contacts. They're linked in Synergy if they're duplicates, so you won't notice that they're duplicated. For example, for some people I have an Exchange contact, a Google contact, and a Facebook contact. It all appears as one person in Contacts on my Pre, and seamlessly I might add.

So, why not duplicates?
    Last edited by jbg7474; 11/16/2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    No u can just link if you have dups.. Mines did it automatically by matching telephone numbers... Plus I dont think u can delete palms profile..
    You cant delete the palm profile? So I will have dupliactes for sure if I switch to google. If I made google my default profile for contacts, whenever I make a change on the Pre, it will update on google site too?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Google Contacts. The only problem I have with it is that the SprintNav doesn't see my Google Contact list. So i have to manually type in the important addresses.
    I didn't answer the poll, because none of the answers really fit me.
    I use all of the following (to one degree or another):
    Exchange
    Facebook
    Google (two accounts, Gmail and Google Apps)
    Yahoo

However, understanding the gist of your question, I now use Google (Google Apps) as my default account. I was previously using Exchange, but my contract was up with my ISP, and I decided to give Google Apps a try. I still keep the Exchange system active on my home server, but just for internal messages, and to keep playing with the system.

Google provides two way synchronization, that's a biggie. It's cloud based, so I don't have to worry about the Pre losing the data (yes, I know that if Google's multiple servers crash, I'm in trouble there, but I have other options). One of the biggest reasons though is that it appears that Google is what Palm is "defaulting" to as their most "prized" synch option.

For those that are worried about all of your contacts existing "elsewhere", you can export to a csv file very simply.
    Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post
    I have all of the above, but my Primary is Exchange. I suppose if I didn't have access to Exchange I'd use Yahoo!, but that isn't working well yet.
    Yahoo appears to be a one-way sync. You can't change the information on the Pre and have it sync to Yahoo.
    I was using palm, but after yesterday losing all my contacts I'm using google. They have apparently fixed the formatting of the addresses so so that sprint navigation can pull from those contacts, so I'm semi happy now.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Google Contacts. The only problem I have with it is that the SprintNav doesn't see my Google Contact list. So i have to manually type in the important addresses.
    This was supposed to be because google added an extra space in the addresses. This was the first thing I checked after changing over to google, and all my contacts are there in sprintnav.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    This was supposed to be because google added an extra space in the addresses. This was the first thing I checked after changing over to google, and all my contacts are there in sprintnav.
    Sorry, but can you link or explain what you mean about that? I'd love to get my google contacts in Sprint Nav but I don't understand the "extra space in address" thing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast