View Poll Results: What is your experience with the Pre USB door?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it. I wish everything had a USB door!

27 46.55%
  • I ripped the stupid thing off but now I regret it.

2 3.45%
  • I ripped the stupid thing off and I couldn't be happier.

7 12.07%
  • It broke off and it makes me terribly unhappy.

18 31.03%
  • It broke off and I wish I had ripped it off earlier.

4 6.90%
  1.    #1  
    My USB door is starting to break and I am seriously considering just ripping it off. I really hate having to slide to phone open just to plug it in.

So I thought I would see what people's thoughts were on the USB door.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I have had the same since launch....no problems with my usb door - and i plug it in at night pretty much every night. Sucks yours is about to break
    Quote Originally Posted by Andries View Post
    I have had the same since launch....no problems with my usb door - and i plug it in at night pretty much every night. Sucks yours is about to break
    Same here.
    I don't mind the USB door. I find it easy to open even when the slider is closed. How about getting a Touchstone?
    Follow Me On

It's a thought. I can see the attraction of getting rid of it. But I use mine daily, and it did loosen up and get easier to use after the first couple of weeks. Now I can almost always open it without opening the slider--just takes a bit of a fingernail in between the two halves of the slider. It's pretty well established as a habit for me, so it doesn't bother me anymore.

My only issue with getting rid of it is the look of a naked, recessed plug that looks like it was supposed to be covered.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    My door feel off. it does look ugly with door riped off, but I worry that my charging port is at risk of damage. I wonder if I should be afraid of dust or other things that might damage my phone. also, just the other day, some lint was stuck inside the port from my pocket and I had to use a tweezers to get it out.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    My door feel off. it does look ugly with door riped off, but I worry that my charging port is at risk of damage. I wonder if I should be afraid of dust or other things that might damage my phone. also, just the other day, some lint was stuck inside the port from my pocket and I had to use a tweezers to get it out.
    This is the one thing that has been stopping me from ripping it off. I do worry a bit about something getting in there and shorting it out. I read in another post about the door that a guy was actually shocked by his port. If it can shock a person I can only imagine what would happen if a small piece of metal got stuck in there, could possibly fry the port.

I am not too much worried about the aesthetics. I would love to get a touchstone but its regretfully out of the budget. Probably the reason it annoys me is that I am using a charger that isn't quite strong enough for the Pre (it was free). It will only start charging if no streaming apps are running and the screen is off for a minute. After that it'll charge happily no matter what I do, provided I don't unplug it. But it gets annoying cause I have to slide the phone open, open the door, plug in the cable, close the phone, turn off the phone. Its a stupid thing to be irritated by, but we all have our things I guess.
    The USB cover is a little chintzy but it's easy enough (for me anyway) to open and close it without over-stressing the plastic pin that hold it in place. I typically charge on a Touchstone and only use the USB port when traveling and moving pics to my desktop but still, no problems here.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    This is the one thing that has been stopping me from ripping it off. I do worry a bit about something getting in there and shorting it out. I read in another post about the door that a guy was actually shocked by his port. If it can shock a person I can only imagine what would happen if a small piece of metal got stuck in there, could possibly fry the port.

I am not too much worried about the aesthetics. I would love to get a touchstone but its regretfully out of the budget. Probably the reason it annoys me is that I am using a charger that isn't quite strong enough for the Pre (it was free). It will only start charging if no streaming apps are running and the screen is off for a minute. After that it'll charge happily no matter what I do, provided I don't unplug it. But it gets annoying cause I have to slide the phone open, open the door, plug in the cable, close the phone, turn off the phone. Its a stupid thing to be irritated by, but we all have our things I guess.
    If you shock yourself by touching the port, you might want to rethink using technology.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    You should add a place in the Poll for 'I use a touchstone and never use the USB door'.
    Put me down for one of those votes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I find it easy to open even when the slider is closed.

I never tried to open the door with the slider closed until now. was pretty easy. I hope i can remember not to open the slider from now on i have be doing that for sooooo long i'm afraid it's too late.
    where is the poll option for i still have my door and i hate it!
    Or the option for "Still have the door, and don't care as I rarely use USB."
    You needed an option about using it and not wanting to rip it off, but not necessarily loving it. I also recently received a TouchStone (happy birthday to me) and so rarely have to use the "door". I do like the TouchStone.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    You needed an option about using it and not wanting to rip it off, but not necessarily loving it. I also recently received a TouchStone (happy birthday to me) and so rarely have to use the "door". I do like the TouchStone.
    Ditto. This is my option. I don't have a problem with mine but really don't like it (don't hate it though).
    it should have a door, because apparently using it causes the pre to crack and it is your fault for using the door.

i too have a touch stone and rarely use the door. maybe 1-2 (avg) since i got the phone on june 6th.

in 3 days the crack has move onto the screen and is steadily moving downward, because i am using the screen.

this all per a sprint rep in a corp store.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I didn't have a touchstone so I would open the USB port every day at night to charge overnight and also at work in the afternoon to give me enough juice for the evening. It broke off after about 1 1/2 months of use. Since then I purchased a touchstone for home and saving for one at work, so I don't have to mess with it at all. But for now, I have to take the door completely off when i charge at work, and its a wonder how I haven't lost the door. i can't stand the phone without the door on it, so i hope I don't lose it. I went to the Sprint store and they said I'd have to go through my insurance to get this fixed. $100 (plus my monthly fee) to fix a cheap USB door - lame.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    where is the poll option for i still have my door and i hate it!
    Yeah, I realized I forgot that when I went to answer my own poll. Doh!!!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    it should have a door, because apparently using it causes the pre to crack and it is your fault for using the door.

i too have a touch stone and rarely use the door. maybe 1-2 (avg) since i got the phone on june 6th.

in 3 days the crack has move onto the screen and is steadily moving downward, because i am using the screen.

this all per a sprint rep in a corp store.
    Ugh, that is awful. I would recommend calling customer support and not taking no for an answer on a non-insurance replacement.