Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think it's a good question.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/16/2009 at 02:22 PM.
    i'm leaning toward option #3
    A good mix of both. Geeks can be unhappy with the device, they're more likely to be unhappy with it.
    I think the thread title should be: TWEAK FREAKS: You're Palm's beta testers.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    I think only a geek would understand the difference between the phone and the software it runs.

Then again, on most phones it doesn't really matter...
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I tweak and patch to help spur on development. That and its just plain cool to show folks something new that came out. I cannot code worth a damn and I dont have a ton of cash to spare for donations and such so I tweak and patch to show support for the devs. Because who knows, maybe Palm will want to scoop them up and pick their brain or go on to make a good chunk of change in the marketplace.

If it where not for the early adoptors and alpha testers where would the innovation come from?
    Pre Tweaks = Burger King's "Have it your way"

As much as I don't want to raise this comparison, it's no different than the substantial number of tweaks for WinMo allowing the user to craft the OS to their own personal needs.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Pre Tweaks = Burger King's "Have it your way"

As much as I don't want to raise this comparison, it's no different than the substantial number of tweaks for WinMo allowing the user to craft the OS to their own personal needs.
    Or those who jailbreak the iPhone.

Just another way to customize a good thing and make it your own.
    Definitely Geeks... unhappy owners would (IMO) be more likely to return/exchange the equipment then try to make it their own with tweaks.
    If not for the kind people that make the patches I would have left my pre already. The Patches have kept the Palm pre in my hands. So what does that make me???
    Agree Boggs ... this thread title is backwards. Tweak Freaks are HAPPY Pre owners because their phones actually work like they EXPECT them to. Its the non-tweak freaks who are the unhappy Pre owners.
    Last edited by kuhawksr1; 11/16/2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: To reference earlier post.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    If not for the kind people that make the patches I would have left my pre already. The Patches have kept the Palm pre in my hands. So what does that make me???
    Well, i'm leaning towards placing 'People That Tweak, But Didn't Actually Create the Tweak' into the 'Tweak Freak Geek Group'.
    This is simply because they wouldn't be happy with the phone and it's blatent shortcomings if they did NOT tweak, which is why they do. Tweak.
    Whew.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/16/2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Well, i'm leaning towards placing 'People That Tweak, But Didn't Actually Create the Tweak' into the 'Tweak Freak Geek Group'.
    This is simply because they wouldn't be happy with the phone and it's blatent shortcomings if they did NOT tweak, which is why they do. Tweak.
    Whew.
    This is just one more thread of the same you keep trying to force on others, over and over.

Who are you to decide whether or not someone else "wouldn't be happy"?

What about those that didn't tweak their phones for the first few weeks they had it, and still liked it?

I know, I know, they don't fit your pre-planned (no pun intended) agenda, so they must be pigeon-holed to fit what you desire.

I can understand some folks don't like this phone. I can't understand their insistence that others can't.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Whew.
    I do not understand, then, where I fall in your paradigm. I was happy with my phone out of the box. I added a few patches that made me happier with my phone. If I could no longer use the patches, I would still be happy with my phone.

It's like buying a new car, then upgrading the stereo in it. It doesn't mean you're unhappy with the car, you're just customizing it to your liking.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This is just one more thread of the same you keep trying to force on others, over and over.

Who are you to decide whether or not someone else "wouldn't be happy"?

What about those that didn't tweak their phones for the first few weeks they had it, and still liked it?

I know, I know, they don't fit your pre-planned (no pun intended) agenda, so they must be pigeon-holed to fit what you desire.

I can understand some folks don't like this phone. I can't understand their insistence that others can't.
    HParsons (and everybody else):
    Wouldn't you find it hard to disagree with my premise that people who don't usually tweak, patch, homebrew, jailbrake, whatever their cell phones (or anything else for that matter) are basically doing it now; because the phone is so short-sighted, they really have no choice?
    I was trying not to complain in this thread, but HParsons made me do it.
  15.    #15  
    And HP:
    If you check my thread history, you'll see that I bring up a wide-ranging array of subjects.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/16/2009 at 02:22 PM.
    I really think this is just too much of a generalization.

People who tweak their phone must be unhappy?

Look at the popularity of tweaking that goes on over at xda-developers.
    Cool phones, with the added benefit of tweaking.

I'm actually even more tempted by the Pre because of the Tweak-ability.
    Just call me Berd.
    And HP:
    If you check my thread history, you'll see that I bring up a wide-ranging array of subjects.
    With a wide array of direct and indirect complaints.

And what are tweaks in your book? Patches, themes, homebrew in general? Themes are technically tweaks, so you're saying that people that want to customize the look of their Pre hate it then?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    With a wide array of direct and indirect complaints.

And what are tweaks in your book? Patches, themes, homebrew in general? Themes are technically tweaks, so you're saying that people that want to customize the look of their Pre hate it then?
    Well to be fair, how many like that beautifull Palm green in the dialer??? (sarcasum)
    I personally am not a techie and would prefer not to hack my phone because I am not sure what to do should something go wrong, but I have been forced to tweak my phone for the simple basic functions palm left out that are 100% necessary.

dialer pad volume connected to the ringer volume (if I want to hear my phone ring why does everybody in the room have to listen to me dial a freaking #???)

led notifications (if I forget to turn the ringer back up after I dial a number and miss a call because of it I have no way of knowing)

screen brightness/keyboard brightness (when in a dark room the screen is way to bright but if you turn the brightness all the way down the keyboard is no longer visible)

calendar (no way to force month view)

seriously come on palm!!!!!

I do not want to hack my phone but with this type of crap I have no option.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    HParsons (and everybody else):
    Wouldn't you find it hard to disagree with my premise that people who don't usually tweak, patch, homebrew, jailbrake, whatever their cell phones (or anything else for that matter) are basically doing it now; because the phone is so short-sighted, they really have no choice?
    I was trying not to complain in this thread, but HParsons made me do it.
    I would say that they have no choice is exaggerating a little bit. You make it sound like the phone can't make phone calls or send an email unless you apply a dozen patches. I think a better way to word your statement would be something like the following:

Wouldn't you find it hard to disagree with my premise that people who don't usually tweak, patch, homebrew, jailbrake, whatever their cell phones (or anything else for that matter) are basically doing it now; because it is a quick and easy way to add or change functionality of the phone?

Yes, there are people that like to tinker and tweak, but there are lots of people that will start to tinker and tweak if it is easy and provides lots of benefits with minimal downsides. It isn't necessarily about about that the Pre is missing xxxxxx feature, it is about taking advantage of the openness of the platform and making the phone function the way you want it to. With the awesome work that the homebrew community has done, tweaking the phone to your liking really couldn't be much easier.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast