Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73
  1. strudel's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    no I expect someone to argue that those are not necessary standard features in a 2009 device!!!!

    and I am not shocked to not hear any arguments, in fact I would go as far as to say that these are not only important to me but probably 95% of cell phone owners!!!!
    I'll bite

    So every complaint you have can be solved with a patch so what is the problem exactly? Are they really that hard to install or something? In all honesty it takes less time to install the patches then to create a new thread to complain about the "essential" missing features. The lack of led notifications annoyed me too, so instead of complaining about it, I installed a patch and never worried about it again. I didn't like the green dialer, so I changed it... hell, I change the theme every so often to mix things up a bit. I don't know lunux and have never rooted my phone but we have a very helpful homebrew community (with plenty of step-by-step tutorials) that made it easy enough to tweak that a caveman could do it.

    Palm included the features they did and I can complain all day that they didn't include this or should have included that but it isn't going to make the features magically appear. The way I think of it, it is far easier to patch then to complain. Taking the patching approach also eliminates the need to complain so it is a win-win situation.

    I guess I am the type to fix something before complaining about it, especially if fixing the problem is much easier then complaining.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Your concerns are bordering paranoia. I understand you are concerned that you will somehow destroy your phone, but you really shouldn't be. Like I said, these patches are created using Palm resources. It's really not much different that if a Palm programmer was pushing them out.

    But if you've made up your mind that you don't want to modify your phone, that's your choice. But for me, why deal with a partially-crippled $550 device when it can so easily be brought up to an acceptable level of functionality?
    I do understand your point mo and I am not to concerned about bricking my phone, I am concerned because when I do screw something up my phone is gonna be down for several hours while I try to figure out how to fix it. I am not a software engineer, but I did stay at a holiday inn once.

    despite what most may think I do not hate my phone but am frustrated in what I feel the phone should have had out of the box. I have every right in the world to come on these forums and join conversations on topics that relate to my experience and get tired of some on here who feel it is their duty to tell me that I am stupid because i do not feel I should have to root my phone for some of these functions. I think it is neat and fun to customize anything but three are some things which should not need to be patched it should be an option in the phone preferences.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I think that would be the same thing as what every other phone does except they generally put these options in a quickly accessed menu under phone preferences.

    I and many others would have no problems applying patches if they were controlled by palm and I did not have to put my phone in developer mode and download all types of crazy software, not to mention it would be nice to know that patches work. This crap about oh, if your phone gets screwed up just web os doctor it (but you may lose all your contacts and calendar events) that doesn't fly with me on a $550 device.
    You're making the process sound more difficult than it is, and I suspect that is simply to suit your purposes.

    You keep talking about "every other phone"; sorry, but none of the prior Palm phones had an "official" apps catalog. By the standard you are using here, every single add-on for it was the same sort of "tweak" or "hack" or "patch" that you are complaining about on the Pre. That includes every popular program, including Agendus and DateBK3. Everything that was available was similar to HomeBrew.

    You don't have to download "all types of crazy software. You can download one, if you don't mind having the Pre tethered to make mods and add programs (that was the same number of pieces of software that you had to install with all of the previous Palm devices). Everything after that is a matter of clicking the mouse (which is easier than the previous Palm devices)

    If you want to do over the air add-ons, you have to download a a second program, but that option wasn't available with the previous Palm devices.

    I've doctored my Pre twice, and neither time did I lose any contacts or calendar events. I suspect that some folks are having a hard time following directions.

    So, continue to spread your FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) because you have problems with the device, and others will continue to point it out for what it is.

    I suspect you'll continue to call that "picking a fight", but there it is...
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    ...
    I guess I am the type to fix something before complaining about it, especially if fixing the problem is much easier then complaining.
    There you go.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    I'll bite

    So every complaint you have can be solved with a patch so what is the problem exactly? Are they really that hard to install or something? In all honesty it takes less time to install the patches then to create a new thread to complain about the "essential" missing features. The lack of led notifications annoyed me too, so instead of complaining about it, I installed a patch and never worried about it again. I didn't like the green dialer, so I changed it... hell, I change the theme every so often to mix things up a bit. I don't know lunux and have never rooted my phone but we have a very helpful homebrew community (with plenty of step-by-step tutorials) that made it easy enough to tweak that a caveman could do it.

    Palm included the features they did and I can complain all day that they didn't include this or should have included that but it isn't going to make the features magically appear. The way I think of it, it is far easier to patch then to complain. Taking the patching approach also eliminates the need to complain so it is a win-win situation.

    I guess I am the type to fix something before complaining about it, especially if fixing the problem is much easier then complaining.
    I too have solved my problems by patching but only after waiting through 4 updates for necessary functions which never came. i did not want to root my pre because although it is pretty easy I still do not know much about what I am doing and that has to be a concern. I guess my biggest argument is that for $550 dollars I should not have to do this, It would be a joke if a $500,000 came without power windows. That would not mean the car was a piece of crap but I would feel that consumers would have a right to be upset about that.

    I am entitled to my own opinion and I live in the u.s. so I have freedom to voice my opinion as much as you, parsons or anybody else. I have never once told anybody they were wrong for their opinions, so why do parsons and others on here feel they need to start arguments with me about how my opinion is wrong. IT IS MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. #46  
    I couldn't imagine this phone WITHOUT the tweaks and other goodies now that I have them. Most all of them address missing core functionality , while lesser #'s are aesthetic and fun. Either way, I absolutely love the freedom of choice and I don't think this classifies me as happy or unhappy; but mainly satisfied with the product (with the tweaks of course) & anxious for new ones to come out!
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I do understand your point mo and I am not to concerned about bricking my phone, I am concerned because when I do screw something up my phone is gonna be down for several hours while I try to figure out how to fix it. I am not a software engineer, but I did stay at a holiday inn once.
    Except that's not what you said:

    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    i love how when every update comes I have to worry if the patch I used to silence the dialer pad or another patch that applies functionality that should be standard on the phone may brick my pre voiding the warranty.
    ...
    Not only that, you've made it clear that you plan on continuing to "voice your opinion" to other users. Definitely something that Precentral has allowed you to do (not a right, a privilege afforded by the forum owners). Fortunately, they've allowed others to privilege to refute the nonsense.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I too have solved my problems by patching but only after waiting through 4 updates for necessary functions which never came. i did not want to root my pre because although it is pretty easy I still do not know much about what I am doing and that has to be a concern. I guess my biggest argument is that for $550 dollars I should not have to do this, It would be a joke if a $500,000 came without power windows. That would not mean the car was a piece of crap but I would feel that consumers would have a right to be upset about that.

    I am entitled to my own opinion and I live in the u.s. so I have freedom to voice my opinion as much as you, parsons or anybody else. I have never once told anybody they were wrong for their opinions, so why do parsons and others on here feel they need to start arguments with me about how my opinion is wrong. IT IS MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think people are taking issue with your assertions of voiding warranties, bricking the phone, downloading crazy apps, etc.

    If you don't agree with patching, so be it. But onlookers may get the idea that the patching process is some sort of mad scientist endeavor, which is simply not the case.
  9. #49  
    Have you ever thought that the very fact that you can (quite easily I might add), "tweak" your phone to do what you want is a huge deal. The fact that you have near official support from Palm making the OS workable and aren't getting Appled at every turn is also huge.

    I agree that there are a few things missing, but as long as Palm does it right, I am fine with waiting. I have patience that only comes with having two obnoxious boys.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
    I couldn't imagine this phone WITHOUT the tweaks and other goodies now that I have them. Most all of them address missing core functionality , while lesser #'s are aesthetic and fun. Either way, I absolutely love the freedom of choice and I don't think this classifies me as happy or unhappy; but mainly satisfied with the product (with the tweaks of course) & anxious for new ones to come out!
    exactly my point is not to argue but to bring this to palms attention it is hp and everybody else who start arguments.

    consider that only a small percentage of pre or pixie owners are aware of this site so imagine the frustration of people who are not aware of patches.

    I want palm to succeed and I feel this will cost them in the long run!
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    ...
    i did not want to root my pre because although it is pretty easy I still do not know much about what I am doing and that has to be a concern.
    You do not have to root your pre to do the patches. Patching the Pre does not require root access.

    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    ... I guess my biggest argument is that for $550 dollars I should not have to do this,
    ...
    You have stated several times that you are not eligible for an upgrade until February. If that's the case, you did not pay $550 for the Pre. (FUD).
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    ...
    I am entitled to my own opinion and I live in the u.s. so I have freedom to voice my opinion as much as you, parsons or anybody else. I have never once told anybody they were wrong for their opinions, so why do parsons and others on here feel they need to start arguments with me about how my opinion is wrong. IT IS MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No one is arguing about your opinion. It's the facts that we keep disputing.

    And please, don't complain on here about others arguing with you. You posted a comment. When no one "argued", you named several us by name asking why.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    ...
    If you don't agree with patching, so be it. But onlookers may get the idea that the patching process is some sort of mad scientist endeavor, which is simply not the case.
    Exactly!!!
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You do not have to root your pre to do the patches. Patching the Pre does not require root access.


    You have stated several times that you are not eligible for an upgrade until February. If that's the case, you did not pay $550 for the Pre. (FUD).

    No one is arguing about your opinion. It's the facts that we keep disputing.

    And please, don't complain on here about others arguing with you. You posted a comment. When no one "argued", you named several us by name asking why.
    root hack tweak patch I said i am not a techie whatever I am doing is not required on any other phone and most importantly is not sanctioned nor offered through palm.

    FYI I paid $550 for my phone off contract in july I bought my last phone on contract in feb. 2009 so with sprint premier I am legible to update my device after a year. simple math shows that at $550 I clearly bought my phone off contract so therefore for all you know I could be eligible for an update tomorrow.

    As far as arguing goes I simply have started every thread with a simple post of my outlook. I have never attempted to push my beliefs on anybody just simply stating my opinion. You have started arguments with me and others time and time again on thread after thread. Quite simply put I do not start fights I do not quote peoples posts and tell them they are wrong or dumb, but if you start a fight with me thinking i am just gonna tuck my tail between my legs and run away you are dead wrong. As a matter of fact by picking fights with me you only insure that I am going to stay around longer.
  14. buckdw's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #54  
    I tweaked my Pre. The tweaks and patches are the only reason i still have this phone. I was super excited to get it, even switched over from T-Mobile. The phone and Palm in general have been a disappointment to say the least. I feel like this phone is no where near as polished as it should be. Hell, every time i do an update i lose a ton of data and have to call tech support. Makes me scared to even do an update now. And the fact I had to rely on a patch created by a homebrewer to do something as simple as forward a freaking message or read an email in landscape has told me all i need to know about Palm. I'm going through a love/hate realtionship with my Pre, and right now I hate it. So i guess file me under unhappy Pre owner, no disguise needed.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by buckdw View Post
    I tweaked my Pre. The tweaks and patches are the only reason i still have this phone. I was super excited to get it, even switched over from T-Mobile. The phone and Palm in general have been a disappointment to say the least. I feel like this phone is no where near as polished as it should be. Hell, every time i do an update i lose a ton of data and have to call tech support. Makes me scared to even do an update now. And the fact I had to rely on a patch created by a homebrewer to do something as simple as forward a freaking message or read an email in landscape has told me all i need to know about Palm. I'm going through a love/hate realtionship with my Pre, and right now I hate it. So i guess file me under unhappy Pre owner, no disguise needed.
    this is my point this is how many feel palm is not only selling phones to techies as a matter of fact i would go out on a limb and assume since techies only make up a small percentage of the population that most of palms phones are being sold to soccer moms, business owners, construction workers, police officers, pizza delivery men etc.

    just because a lot of people on this forum are tech savvy means nothing, I would bet my house that more than 75% of current pre owners have no idea about this site or patches or home-brews. If this is palms plan for this phone than they need to refer the consumers here and say here are instructions on how to install preware and homebrew.

    I can live with my phone because of patches but my point is that without patches this phone is obsolete and since the majority of pre owners are not aware of patches or homebrew I FEEL THAT ON THAT END PALM IS SCREWING UP BIG TIME!!!!
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There you go.
    but its soo much easier to just complain
  17. #57  
    this argument is insane! basically I am saying that a geo metro is a piece of junk and you guys are saying it is a bad *** car because you put custom exhaust, rims, and paint on it......lol

    this is simply dodging the true fact here that without the mods a geo metro is a piece of crap. geo has done nothing to the car you did, so if you do not know how to modify your car than you bought a piece of crap.........lol

    now this is the part where somebody comes back and says, the metro gets better gas mileage than your cadillac though..duhhhhhhhhh
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    this argument is insane! basically I am saying that a geo metro is a piece of junk and you guys are saying it is a bad *** car because you put custom exhaust, rims, and paint on it......lol

    this is simply dodging the true fact here that without the mods a geo metro is a piece of crap. geo has done nothing to the car you did, so if you do not know how to modify your car than you bought a piece of crap.........lol

    now this is the part where somebody comes back and says, the metro gets better gas mileage than your cadillac though..duhhhhhhhhh
    Now that's just silly. The Pre has the Ferrari of processors and just happens to be missing the floor mats. Someone provides custom floor mats that I install in my Ferrari and I am somehow less of a Ferrari owner?

    Other items that my Ferrari Pre is missing... ski rack, steps on the side to climb in, and sunroof.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  19. #59  
    before any body takes that out of text the pre is not a piece of crap and I would not compare it to a metro.....lol
    that was just a quick example off the top of my head, I know how hp like to take these silly analogies and pretend like you were serious.

    Its just an analogy hp!!!!!!
  20. #60  
    lol you beat me to it pogey

    come on people lets not argue like children it is just an analogy.

    you can not compare apples to oranges, but an analogy is more of an example that is used to draw a slight comparison. we are all adults here and do understand this concept correct?
    Last edited by pogeypre; 11/16/2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: edited my name
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions