Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    HParsons (and everybody else):
    Wouldn't you find it hard to disagree with my premise that people who don't usually tweak, patch, homebrew, jailbrake, whatever their cell phones (or anything else for that matter) are basically doing it now; because the phone is so short-sighted, they really have no choice?
    I was trying not to complain in this thread, but HParsons made me do it.
    Absolutely I would disagree. You filter the "reasons" down to one motivation. It's not that simple.
    • Some people tweak the phone because they "really have no choice" (as silly as that sounds, I know what you're saying - however, this is a phone, there are "choices" besides tweaking)
    • Some people tweak the phone for the same reason some people climb mountains, because "it's there", and "they can" (I was reburning ROMs on my Treo, as were a bunch of other people - not a "have to thing", we did it because we could).
    • Some who would never have dared to tweak a phone before are doing so now because it's so easy compared to other phones.

    So yes, I disagree with you. Your reasoning is not the same as everyone else's.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Well to be fair, how many like that beautifull Palm green in the dialer??? (sarcasum)
    The very first thing I changed on my Pre!! I hate green. I told my wife (after I got the phone) several times I waited 6 months for this phone, and I can't change the ugly dialer. It just never occurred to me to get on a forum and whine about it, complaining that Palm had failed, every other phone in the known universe and several dimensions can change the color, and I'm going back to my Treo.

    Instead, I noticed that the Pre did several other things that my old phone(s) couldn't do, and in spite of the ugly green color, the phone app still worked.

    Then six weeks later, I decided to start tweaking.

    I have a collection of phone "themes", and a script that I can run that will change them in minutes. It's especially fun during football weekends. I'm hoping eventually, someone will come up with an app that will let you change the phone theme based on the day, season, etc.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I personally am not a techie and would prefer not to hack my phone because I am not sure what to do should something go wrong, but I have been forced to tweak my phone for the simple basic functions palm left out that are 100% necessary.

    dialer pad volume connected to the ringer volume (if I want to hear my phone ring why does everybody in the room have to listen to me dial a freaking #???)

    led notifications (if I forget to turn the ringer back up after I dial a number and miss a call because of it I have no way of knowing)

    screen brightness/keyboard brightness (when in a dark room the screen is way to bright but if you turn the brightness all the way down the keyboard is no longer visible)

    calendar (no way to force month view)

    seriously come on palm!!!!!

    I do not want to hack my phone but with this type of crap I have no option.

    not shocked to see that there were no arguments about this one.....anybody gonna come to palms defense on this one?

    hparsons?

    wynard?

    mrloserpunk?

    anybody?
  4. #24  
    kiss me through the phone
  5. #25  
    Yep, defiantly #3.

    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    i'm leaning toward option #3
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    not shocked to see that there were no arguments about this one.....anybody gonna come to palms defense on this one?

    hparsons?

    wynard?

    mrloserpunk?

    anybody?
    You expect someone to argue with you about what's important to you?

    Really??
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You expect someone to argue with you about what's important to you?

    Really??
    Damn, HP. You sound like my wife with that one, lol.
  8. #28  
    no I expect someone to argue that those are not necessary standard features in a 2009 device!!!!

    and I am not shocked to not hear any arguments, in fact I would go as far as to say that these are not only important to me but probably 95% of cell phone owners!!!!
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Damn, HP. You sound like my wife with that one, lol.
    lol... that is the type of thing a 8 year old says when he wants to argue with you but can not.

    this is typical behavior for hp if he can not argue your point he finds some other way to argue with you, but he dances around the issue.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    no I expect someone to argue that those are not necessary standard features in a 2009 device!!!!

    and I am not shocked to not hear any arguments, in fact I would go as far as to say that these are not only important to me but probably 95% of cell phone owners!!!!

    It got pretty quite here, didn't it?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    lol... that is the type of thing a 8 year old says when he wants to argue with you but can not.

    this is typical behavior for hp if he can not argue your point he finds some other way to argue with you, but he dances around the issue.
    I know.
  12. #32  
    I wonder if Preware and WebOS QI were Palm branded, would people take such issue with "tweaking."

    It seems the patches are given a negative connotation as being "hacks" when in reality, they are legitimate modifications using Palm provided resources. In other words, the patches aren't backdooring Palm's intended feature set, just enhancing it.

    WebOS is an Open Source project and it's proceeding exactly along that path. Perhaps some early adopters did not want to be involved with such an endeavor, which is unfortunate for them. But some of us knew what to expect with this platform, so the notion that we're upset because we're taking advantage of the flexibility is completely unfounded.

    Buyer beware.
  13. #33  
    don't get me wrong I like my phone and I hope everyday that palm will get on the ball and make use of this phones potential. Most importantly though I can wait for flash, video recording etc. but these basic features have got to be addressed asap!
  14. sookibong's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I personally am not a techie and would prefer not to hack my phone because I am not sure what to do should something go wrong, but I have been forced to tweak my phone for the simple basic functions palm left out that are 100% necessary.
    Just as you were forced to keep the phone after the 30 day trial?

    dialer pad volume connected to the ringer volume (if I want to hear my phone ring why does everybody in the room have to listen to me dial a freaking #???)
    Fixed by 1.3 update. Regardless you could have always used the totally silent keyboard to dial through universal search. Opening the phone app is a waste of time if you're not checking call history.

    led notifications (if I forget to turn the ringer back up after I dial a number and miss a call because of it I have no way of knowing)
    Fair enough.

    screen brightness/keyboard brightness (when in a dark room the screen is way to bright but if you turn the brightness all the way down the keyboard is no longer visible)
    My screen brightness is all the way down and yet my keyboard still lights up in the dark.

    calendar (no way to force month view)
    Homebrew Agenda is a wonderful app that has pretty much replaced the calendar for me. No patches required. And pretty much encouraged by Palm.

    seriously come on palm!!!!!

    I do not want to hack my phone but with this type of crap I have no option.
    I hack because I like to maximize the functionality of my phone and personalize it. If you are just patient enough to read the forums and wait for others to take the risk with a new patch, you can know if a patch is working properly or not. Individual developers will always be ahead of the curve. There will ALWAYS be more functions to add. Why not appreciate how easy and relatively risk-free hacking this phone is?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I wonder if Preware and WebOS QI were Palm branded, would people take such issue with "tweaking."

    It seems the patches are given a negative connotation as being "hacks" when in reality, they are legitimate modifications using Palm provided resources. In other words, the patches aren't backdooring Palm's intended feature set, just enhancing it.

    WebOS is an Open Source project and it's proceeding exactly along that path. Perhaps some early adopters did not want to be involved with such an endeavor, which is unfortunate for them. But some of us knew what to expect with this platform, so the notion that we're upset because we're taking advantage of the flexibility is completely unfounded.

    Buyer beware.
    I think that would be the same thing as what every other phone does except they generally put these options in a quickly accessed menu under phone preferences.

    I and many others would have no problems applying patches if they were controlled by palm and I did not have to put my phone in developer mode and download all types of crazy software, not to mention it would be nice to know that patches work. This crap about oh, if your phone gets screwed up just web os doctor it (but you may lose all your contacts and calendar events) that doesn't fly with me on a $550 device.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by sookibong View Post
    Just as you were forced to keep the phone after the 30 day trial?



    Fixed by 1.3 update. Regardless you could have always used the totally silent keyboard to dial through universal search. Opening the phone app is a waste of time if you're not checking call history.



    Fair enough.



    My screen brightness is all the way down and yet my keyboard still lights up in the dark.



    Homebrew Agenda is a wonderful app that has pretty much replaced the calendar for me. No patches required. And pretty much encouraged by Palm.



    I hack because I like to maximize the functionality of my phone and personalize it. If you are just patient enough to read the forums and wait for others to take the risk with a new patch, you can know if a patch is working properly or not. Individual developers will always be ahead of the curve. There will ALWAYS be more functions to add. Why not appreciate how easy and relatively risk-free hacking this phone is?
    I have owned 2 pre phones with build dates of june and october and if you turn the screen down to 1 the keyboard does not light up (unless you have the brightness unlinked app, which was broken with 1.3 anymore importantly is a homebrew app not available through palm)

    I also have the agenda app which is a great app, but once again is not available officially through palm and more importantly the developer has reported that he was informed by palm that future upgrades will most likely break its function.
  17. #37  
    as far as the phone goes I bought in early july and received 2 updates in 21 days which looked promising so I made a poor last minute decision to stick with the phone. The only other option that I had was the ht. touch where as I need a phone with the capability of rendering full web pages quickly (which the pre does) and I have been with sprint for 10 years and switching carriers is out of the question.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Damn, HP. You sound like my wife with that one, lol.
    Well, I mean, what's this guy expect? He posts his opinion on what's important to him, then when no one argues, he asks why? C'mon, I can't tell the guy what's important to him.

    Of course, if one of us were to do so, we'd be "picking a fight"...

    A couple of those things were mildly important to me. It took me about 1 minute to "fix" each one of them. Sorry he's having problems, but PreWare is not that difficult.
    Last edited by hparsons; 11/16/2009 at 04:16 PM.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    no I expect someone to argue that those are not necessary standard features in a 2009 device!!!!

    and I am not shocked to not hear any arguments, in fact I would go as far as to say that these are not only important to me but probably 95% of cell phone owners!!!!
    Well, I guess you can make up any statistic you wish, and there's no way to prove, or disprove it.
    As I've already said, a couple of those were important enough to me that I checked the option in Preware, OK'd the box to run the script, and they were fixed.
    Had Preware not been available to me, would I have changed phones over them?
    Nah.

    I don't know if 95% of Pre users would agree with me, but the phone appears to be selling...
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    I think that would be the same thing as what every other phone does except they generally put these options in a quickly accessed menu under phone preferences.

    I and many others would have no problems applying patches if they were controlled by palm and I did not have to put my phone in developer mode and download all types of crazy software, not to mention it would be nice to know that patches work. This crap about oh, if your phone gets screwed up just web os doctor it (but you may lose all your contacts and calendar events) that doesn't fly with me on a $550 device.
    Your concerns are bordering paranoia. I understand you are concerned that you will somehow destroy your phone, but you really shouldn't be. Like I said, these patches are created using Palm resources. It's really not much different that if a Palm programmer was pushing them out.

    But if you've made up your mind that you don't want to modify your phone, that's your choice. But for me, why deal with a partially-crippled $550 device when it can so easily be brought up to an acceptable level of functionality?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions