Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't agree with this assessment. First, a $30 phone makes a lot less profit for the one selling it than does a $199 option. The company will not want to push the cheap option for fear of cannibalizing the one that will make them money. I also believe that for every Pixi sold, there is a Pre that was not sold. That hurts both Palm and sprint.

Palm does not need to sell more Pixis, they need to sell more Pres: their flagship product line.

Finally, developers will not write apps because of Pixi sales. The phone is clearly geared towards less tech centric women who are more used to feature phones. This is not the audience most likely to spend a lot of money on third party apps.

Palm needs to sell more Pres.
    Game console companies have been doing it for years. Even selling at a loss. Look at the xbox 360... bad hardware, but MS didn't care, they just kept fixing them and reducing the price.. soon it's everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Game console companies have been doing it for years. Even selling at a loss. Look at the xbox 360... bad hardware, but MS didn't care, they just kept fixing them and reducing the price.. soon it's everywhere.
    Umm. Although it's pretty obvious, Microsoft is one of the largest companies in the world. It has literally tens of billions of free cash at its disposal if needs be. It has the luxury of running with loss leaders -- Palm does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonecall View Post
    I know what you mean about Graffiti 2 but it was simple to reinstall Graffiti 1 on my TX and carry on as usual. I love Graffiti, its not perfect but for me it sure beats mangling my thumbs on that microscopic keyboard the Pre offers. And am I the only one with concerns about putting my personal info into the "clouds"? Sometimes a bit of tried and true old school beats the latest "feature-itis" hands down.
    Yeah I have concerns about privacy and all, but we'll all be carrying around a radio frequency ID chip in our driver's licenses or ID cards before long, so the way I see it there's little we can do to protect our personal info. It's already scattered across the internet anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Yeah I have concerns about privacy and all, but we'll all be carrying around a radio frequency ID chip in our driver's licenses or ID cards before long, so the way I see it there's little we can do to protect our personal info. It's already scattered across the internet anyway.
    Maybe, but I sure don't want to pay Palm for an overpriced phone that doesn't give me the option to sync in my closed system. Palm needs all the help it can get these days and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking like this. In my opinion the company deserves to fail if a very basic goof like this is characteristic of its comeback approach to the mobile phone business.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonecall View Post
    Maybe, but I sure don't want to pay Palm for an overpriced phone that doesn't give me the option to sync in my closed system. Palm needs all the help it can get these days and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking like this. In my opinion the company deserves to fail if a very basic goof like this is characteristic of its comeback approach to the mobile phone business.
    Just out of curiosity.. did you know that it didn't sync with pc's by usb? I thought it was common knowledge that it syncs via cloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Just out of curiosity.. did you know that it didn't sync with pc's by usb? I thought it was common knowledge that it syncs via cloud.
    It is common knowledge. Which doesn't make the issue of the lack of a usb sync any easier to take. Poor Palm, maybe it never occurred to them that a lot of people would not like to sync their personal data via some server. Duh!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123