Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nice read - kind of puts things into perspective and gives us a glimpse into Pre's thinking.
    I'm thinking Palm is focusing more on quantity of apps just to get the numbers looking better. He can't be serious otherwise. I will say that Palm apps can be much better than some iphone. If i click on a link in an app, it opens a web card...cool...which i can swipe away and go back to my open app. If i'm in an iphone app, the app itself needs to include browser support. The apps will come as webOS evolves..that's never been a worry.

An upgraded Pre launching on V? That (besides a new form factor) would make sense. Trying to launch a 7-8 month old 8gb Pre won't help them much. Perhaps there's a new form factor still in the cards. Palm is good at keeping things quiet. I can't help thinking the Droid's screen will be the main factor (perhaps a new standard) for many in 2010 especially if Apple improves theirs.

I'm still unsure of the Pixi being a sweet spot for anything. IMO, the Pre is perfect for those transitioning from feature phones to smartphones. They can give these Pixis away (and they will) as prices continue to get more competitive. But there's also something to be said for giving these new customers a half baked experience which might have them running to competitors wondering why their new smartphone is sooo slow, takes crappy pics, only has 8gb, etc. After all the Pixi will be their first and only impression of Palm. Palm didn't have to cut down the guts in the Pixi, the form factor itself is difference enough. If you expect these customers to want to double their monthly bill with a data plan, they'll want something worthwhile. Then again, people do strange things..so who knows?

Oh..and
    Palm is trying to copy the success it had with the Palm Centro, a small, inexpensive smartphone that sold three million units.
    A 99 dollar phone wasn't the only thing that made the Centro a success. For Palm OS users, it was an UPGRADE. Speedier, sharper screen (because it was a bit smaller but SAME RES), free ptunes deluxe, docs to go, etc. At that time, SERO plans were welcomed. The original iphone came out a few months prior but was priced very high, had no apps, lacked many features, but offered a solid ipod/browser and multitouch. No android. Just the same stuff from WM & RIM. WM offered multitasking but required much tweaking. RIM was all business.

So here in 2009, is the Pixi really the Centro all over? Same price point but there's other players in that range such as Eris and iphone 3G. There's iphones & android but they don't cost an absurd price like the iphone did in 2007. The Pixi requires a data plan, centro didn't. The Centro was the fastest, sharpest Palm device they had and many treo owners upgraded, the Pixi is a downgrade for Pre owners. Much of Pre's success comes from many palm OS owners who've upgraded, so there's a not a big pool to draw from for the Pixi in that regard.

I do understand the form factor has appeal. But just trying to highlight some differences that allowed the Centro to be that success that just isn't in the copy machine for this Pixi.
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/16/2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Walmart is selling the Pixi for $30? WoW!
    I agree.. $30 for a smartphone with a new OS and keyboard and features similar to the Pre. Once people see this option, I think it will take off in sales. Then, we may see more software development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I agree.. $30 for a smartphone with a new OS and keyboard and features similar to the Pre. Once people see this option, I think it will take off in sales. Then, we may see more software development.
    That's online though and for NEW customers. How many mainstream target buyers upgrade in this manner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I don't agree with this assessment. First, a $30 phone makes a lot less profit for the one selling it than does a $199 option. The company will not want to push the cheap option for fear of cannibalizing the one that will make them money. I also believe that for every Pixi sold, there is a Pre that was not sold. That hurts both Palm and sprint.

Palm does not need to sell more Pixis, they need to sell more Pres: their flagship product line.

Finally, developers will not write apps because of Pixi sales. The phone is clearly geared towards less tech centric women who are more used to feature phones. This is not the audience most likely to spend a lot of money on third party apps.

Palm needs to sell more Pres.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't agree with this assessment. First, a $30 phone makes a lot less profit for the one selling it than does a $199 option. The company will not want to push the cheap option for fear of cannibalizing the one that will make them money. I also believe that for every Pixi sold, there is a Pre that was not sold. That hurts both Palm and sprint.

Palm does not need to sell more Pixis, they need to sell more Pres: their flagship product line.

Finally, developers will not write apps because of Pixi sales. The phone is clearly geared towards less tech centric women who are more used to feature phones. This is not the audience most likely to spend a lot of money on third party apps.

That's fine if the Pre has more profit margin. We can only speculate on that but what Sprint charges you isn't what Palm is getting. Consider the Pixi is more likely not to be exchanged out as its got less problems that can go wrong.

As far as apps go, i'd say devs are more worried about the number of total users.
    Who are you the cut & paste police lol
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The Pixi is clearly targeted at the Centro market. Unfortunately, most people I know who have Centros never bought an app - ever.
    Agreed. But Palm didn't have an app catalog on the Centro either where it was tap and install. Apple hadn't educated the masses on apps either.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Isn't this all very exciting?
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Pixie form factor might make it a hit.
    Its like having a real keyboard BB with touchscreen.
  11.    #31  
    Even though apple has so many apps, I think we can all live without awful ones such as making your Iphone sound as if you passed gas, (what is this shades of blazing saddles and 12 year old boys).

I do not have a pre and have stayed on the sidelines, since I am with V. I am staying with V since my G/f, My Mom, and both of her parents are all on the same account. MY wonderful G/f gets a great deal for billing thru her employer.

So I am waiting for V to have the Pre. In addition, Sprints. cust. serice stinks and thier coverage does not work in my house. V works in part of my house. Yes, I know I can get a booster from Sprint for my house, but I hate thier cust service and they do not have a repair depot in my county, which means a 100 miles round trip if I have a problem. Plus Sprint's employees ( I was with them for 6 years and left sprint 2 years ago). Too many of them were surly and poorly trained.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I can see how it may hurt Palm, but how does it hurt Sprint? They are still going to get their monthly service plan revenue for each device sold. Depending on how much their subsidy is for each phone, Sprint may want a low cost, high volume phone to boost subscriptions.

The Pixi is also being marketed with a bunch of 'designer' shells available, so even if the phone is cheap, Palm may be making up for it with accessories.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I can see how it may hurt Palm, but how does it hurt Sprint? They are still going to get their monthly service plan revenue for each device sold. Depending on how much their subsidy is for each phone, Sprint may want a low cost, high volume phone to boost subscriptions.

The Pixi is also being marketed with a bunch of 'designer' shells available, so even if the phone is cheap, Palm may be making up for it with accessories.
    Yes,
    it won't hurt SPRINT and PALM.
    First SPRINT makes extra money by forcing everyone to the new plan. ( Bye Bye SERO). Then PALM will make some money on bulk sales.
    The artist cover series will add little more to the phone sales.

Beware , the 24.99 or 29.99 or 34.99 price point is for new customers .
    only. A new customer brings 69.99 * 24 = $ 1679.99 over a two year period.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Thats $ 1670.00 more dollars per customers , if they can get couple of hundred thousand , then you are getting 300 millions or so over next two years.

It also helps them to keep existing customers.

Sprint is the one selling it at the lower price. They are still subsidizing Palm for it. Palm is not hurt by the lower price, they are helped. Also, the Pre is a complicated phone, it's got a high end chipset in it, it's a slider with a full keyboard and a 3.2" screen. The Pixi has cheaper components all around, doesn't have a slider hence no complexity, so it's going to be the cheaper phone to build, the profit margin will be at the very least the same, but more than likely better. Palm needs a value phone like the Pixi, because it's a value for them as well.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    A 99 dollar phone wasn't the only thing that made the Centro a success. For Palm OS users, it was an UPGRADE. Speedier, sharper screen (because it was a bit smaller but SAME RES), free ptunes deluxe, docs to go, etc. At that time, SERO plans were welcomed.
    Didn't Centro being identical in feature with 755p? For people had 755p, Centro would not be an upgrade and they were not the market that Centro targeted. Same thing for Pixi, it does not target Pre users but someone who never had a smartphone.

User Pixi is less then Pre compare to Centro with 755p, but most of the softwares in 755p are freebies for Centro. 755p did not have Wifi or other fancy things, so it felt like Centro was more an equal to it.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Graffiti bit the dust for me four years back when I mistakenly went from a Clie to a Palm TX and quickly became aware that Palm had been sued by the original license holders and had to come up with "Graffiti 2," an analog that required more keystrokes and the learning of a new writing technique. I would be very surprised to see any product return to a stylus based system without a revolutionary improvement in that technology. And it seems like the newer smart phones are sync'ing with things like Google Calendar and MS Exchange instead of doing it offline. I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, but PDAs and smart phones seem to be changing too fast to get comfortable with any system.
    I know what you mean about Graffiti 2 but it was simple to reinstall Graffiti 1 on my TX and carry on as usual. I love Graffiti, its not perfect but for me it sure beats mangling my thumbs on that microscopic keyboard the Pre offers. And am I the only one with concerns about putting my personal info into the "clouds"? Sometimes a bit of tried and true old school beats the latest "feature-itis" hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by theChrisLake View Post
    welcome to 1995!
    And 2009. My Palm TX syncs with my Mac OX 10.5 Palm desktop consistently without a hitch. Palm really dropped the ball on this issue (and its failure to include Graffiti on the Pre). Sometimes simpler is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    This guy has to be joking. I can't even remember the last time Palm hotsynced on a Mac.
    How about today at 4 PM? My Palm TX said hello to my Mac OS10.5 desktop with narry a hiccup. Palm deserves to eat it with the Pre for having forgotten the basics. Graffiti and the hotsync defined Palm at the height of its popularity, now the company is just another also ran.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Mr. Rubinstein said Palm would never need as many applications as the iPhone. “We are focused on quality over quantity,” he said.

I'd say that's a pretty convenient statement when there's no way you can compete on quantity, however, it means little to nothing as a quick browse through the App Catalog will reveal. Perhaps the quality apps are coming. However, there isn't exacly a lot of buzz going on about big WebOS software projects, beta testing, committments from developers to the platform. Plus, the SDK isn't developed enough to foster the kinds of apps people expect, now, in a modern smartphone.
    This is absolutely correct and very well put.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast